Wisper Tailwind

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
Anyone know a way of increasing the assisted speed limit on a Tailwind. Only after a couple of extra Mph just to trim my commute time.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Add more tailwind...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anyone know a way of increasing the assisted speed limit on a Tailwind. Only after a couple of extra Mph just to trim my commute time.
There's no legal way, 15.5 mph is the assist limit, with the statutory 10% tolerance allowing 17 mph, but Wisper only make legally compliant pedelecs.

A higher assist speed would mean a modified or different controller and/or a higher voltage battery, but with a hub motor pedelec like yours with everything integrated, such changes would be both difficult and expensive.

A better course if higher speed was wanted on an assisted bicycle is to have bought a CE approved S class high speed pedelec and register it. A bit more bureaucracy necessary, but assist speeds up to 28 mph then legal, slashing your commute time.

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
There's no legal way, 15.5 mph is the assist limit, with the statutory 10% tolerance allowing 17 mph, but Wisper only make legally compliant pedelecs.

A higher assist speed would mean a modified or different controller and/or a higher voltage battery, but with a hub motor pedelec like yours with everything integrated, such changes would be both difficult and expensive.

A better course if higher speed was wanted on an assisted bicycle is to have bought a CE approved S class high speed pedelec and register it. A bit more bureaucracy necessary, but assist speeds up to 28 mph then legal, slashing your commute time.
Thanks Flecc, I appreciate your time.
I understand that I could have sourced a faster alternative but I had to buy the bike through C2W, it was the only way the wife would sanction it. So I ened up going for an 'off the shelf' bike.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
I understand that I could have sourced a faster alternative but I had to buy the bike through C2W, it was the only way the wife would sanction it. So I ened up going for an 'off the shelf' bike.
I didn't know there

I didn't know thee was a statutory 10% tolerance... even that would do me, I'm not after anything above 20mph really

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Understood. Perhaps content yourself with the fact that our original EAPC assist limit fifty years ago was 12 mph, so at 15.5 mph now you're riding 29% faster. Progress! :)

• :D
Reactions: sparky967

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I didn't know thee was a statutory 10% tolerance... even that would do me, I'm not after anything above 20mph really
That's the general 10% tolerance for all speed limits, and the DfT have confirmed it alo applies to pedelec assist speed. It's actually a design tolerance to allow for small errors.

There's no way you can apply it though if the manufacturer hasn't designed it in. I only know of one who did, Kalkhoff on some of their later pedelecs which assisted to 27.5 kph / 17 mph. A pity the motor in those were so unreliable though.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Someone accidentally changed the wheel size on their Wisper :D

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You should have asked the dealer for the secret code before you handed over your money. You have no bargaining power now. It's surprising what some dealers will do when their £400 profit is hanging on it.

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
Someone accidentally changed the wheel size on their Wisper :D

I had seen this post a while back but unfortunately it doesn't work with mine.

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
You should have asked the dealer for the secret code before you handed over your money. You have no bargaining power now. It's surprising what some dealers will do when their £400 profit is hanging on it.
Didn't even occur to me at the time. I stumbled upon the post about changing wheel size after bought the bike

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Who comes up with these names ?. Wisper 'Tailwind'

There should be a competition/poll see who can come up with the best most fitting name than may(or may not) make it to the market.
Not the features or components, just the name.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Who comes up with these names ?. Wisper 'Tailwind'

There should be a competition/poll see who can come up with the best most fitting name than may(or may not) make it to the market.
Not the features or components, just the name.
Hi Andy, it normally takes a lot of thought. This time I was on a flight and heard the captain say we have a "Tailwind" so we expect to be in London 30 minutes earlier than expected.

But didn't someone once say... “What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”

All the best, David

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Andy, it normally takes a lot of thought. This time I was on a flight and captain say we have a "Tailwind" so we expect to be in London 30 minutes earlier than expected.
Heaven knows what prompted Germany's Kalkhoff to name their first pedelec.

Agattu

An island in Alaska, part of the Near Islands in the western end of the Aleutian Islands.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Heaven knows what prompted Germany's Kalkhoff to name their first pedelec.

Agattu

An island in Alaska, part of the Near Islands in the western end of the Aleutian Islands.
I thought it was from Agattu doo doo, push pineapple, shake the tree!

All the best, David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought it was from Agattu doo doo, push pineapple, shake the tree!

All the best, David
Apparently not, according to 50C and Derby Cycles gmbh, solemnly giving the location of that island.

Wouldn't grow many pineapples at that latitude!

Truth is they may not even remember, since they had made normal unassisted Agattu and Pro-Connect bicycles for years before they produced the modified frame versions to use Panasonic mid motors for their first pedelecs.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes