Wisper Wayfarer H7 review

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi guys, strangely we have not had any complaints at all regarding the need for brake cut outs from the 1000'a of customers currently riding Wayfarers here in the UK, New Zealand and Europe. They don't tend to be used anymore, as they were a constant problem and unnecessary on bikes with fast reacting sensors and controllers. I can only think that there may be an issue with this particular bike which of course we would be pleased to help with. We can fit cut offs for you if you would like them, but I would strongly advise against.

You can always contact support or me directly if you need assistance.

All the best, David

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
The only time i felt we needed brake cut-off sensors on our Wayfarer is negotiating through those metal hoop barriers you get at the ends of footpath/alley ways, where you go left, right, left to get through them, the motor can kick in with half a turn of the pedals just when you don't want it to lol.

In those instances it would make sense to just turn the assist OFF, then back ON when your through them.
Other than that, we've not needed them any other time.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
Quick question David.

We've had the Bike on charge since this morning and the light is still blue. It mentions in the manual it should change from Red to Green when it's charged but each time we charge it, it's always blue?
Old question but someone might find it relevant.
The blue light is on the battery itself, to show the battery is switched on.
The red/green light the manual refers to is on the charger not the battery, red is charging, green is fully charged.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The only time i felt we needed brake cut-off sensors on our Wayfarer is negotiating through those metal hoop barriers you get at the ends of footpath/alley ways, where you go left, right, left to get through them, the motor can kick in with half a turn of the pedals just when you don't want it to lol.

In those instances it would make sense to just turn the assist OFF, then back ON when your through them.
Other than that, we've not needed them any other time.
Hi Greb,

I completely understand your point regarding navigating those barriers, they are a nightmare! I ride a Wayfarer and in such situations I use the throttle only as 4mph seems to be quite fast enough.

If you need an help with your bikes, please let me know.

All the best, David

Reactions: Grebacwhite

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Old question but someone might find it relevant.
The blue light is on the battery itself, to show the battery is switched on.
The red/green light the manual refers to is on the charger not the battery, red is charging, green is fully charged.
Yes, that's all correct.

All the best, David

Hoppy33

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 29, 2023
Brake cut-off switches are a very useful safety feature, bordering on essential I would say. Eg from personal experience - when your 4-yr-old grandson in front seat forgets he's not supposed to touch anything while you dismount; when I'm leaning forward to open a gate in a bulky jacket that pushes the throttle; also handy when wanting to change down at a junction but don't want to pedal and activate power, a touch on the brake lever acts like a clutch. I've also seen someone with long grass inadvertently caught up around the freewheel, then pushing the bike across a busy zebra crossing - of course the pedals then turned and the bike careered off and he fell flat on the deck, potentially a very nasty situation with kids and prams around.

I'd guess that most of us have accidentally activated power at some time or other, probably when slow manoeuvering with a lot of lock, or when getting on and off. I have a good habit of always covering the brake in situations like that - learned the hard way from motorcycling days.

Disappointed to learn that Wisper eBikes don't include brake cut-offs. It's unusual and surprisingly off-brand! I'd even go as far as to say that a negligence lawsuit may be only a matter of time.

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
I think that's taking it a bit extreme but each to their own i guess.
I personally am really not fussed about it, i only mentioned it here as i thought it might be useful information if your looking to buy a Wisper Wayfarer.

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
In keeping with my original review and updates on our bikes(we have 2 Wayfarers), i made a rear mount today at work to carry my D-lock on the bike.
Bonus security feature is that it also stops anyone trying to have my panniers away!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Disappointed to learn that Wisper eBikes don't include brake cut-offs. It's unusual and surprisingly off-brand! I'd even go as far as to say that a negligence lawsuit may be only a matter of time.
Brake cut outs are all but redundant now. There are hardly any bikes that have them fitted. We haven’t fitted them to any of our bikes since 2016 and have not had any issues with the 10’s of thousands of bikes we have put on the road on that time. This is as far as I can remember the only mention of them. They used to be necessary when there were only 5 or 6 signals per turn of the pedals on a cadence bike but now with 32 and more coupled to better controllers, nearly all bikes (including Wayfarers) cut out within the EN15194 regs. Safety is paramount. All said, if anyone is uncomfortable with the operation of any of our bikes we can normally fit cut outs, but they are not necessary.

All the best, David

Hoppy33

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 29, 2023
Brake cut outs are all but redundant now. There are hardly any bikes that have them fitted. We haven’t fitted them to any of our bikes since 2016 and have not had any issues with the 10’s of thousands of bikes we have put on the road on that time. This is as far as I can remember the only mention of them. They used to be necessary when there were only 5 or 6 signals per turn of the pedals on a cadence bike but now with 32 and more coupled to better controllers, nearly all bikes (including Wayfarers) cut out within the EN15194 regs. Safety is paramount. All said, if anyone is uncomfortable with the operation of any of our bikes we can normally fit cut outs, but they are not necessary.

All the best, David
I stand corrected, and thanks for your reply David. I was under the impression that pretty much all ebikes had motor cut-out switches on the brakes. I have two ebikes (Rad and ADO) and they both have brake cut-outs so I kind of assumed...

I guess the reasoning for leaving them off is simply that, if you are squeezing the brake lever to activate the switch to cut the motor, then the brake is going to stop the bike pretty sharpish anyway! Point taken :cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
EU manufactured pedelecs don't normally have brake cutouts so that's far from unusual. Brake cutouts usually only appear on e-bikes with throttles, mainly Oriental sourced.

Negligence lawsuit? No chance of that happening.

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
If there are no brake cut outs on my Wisper 705 then that does make it easier to replace the hydraulic brakes with cable operated ones. Swings and roundabouts but I find it easier to work on cabled brakes.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I stand corrected, and thanks for your reply David. I was under the impression that pretty much all ebikes had motor cut-out switches on the brakes. I have two ebikes (Rad and ADO) and they both have brake cut-outs so I kind of assumed...

I guess the reasoning for leaving them off is simply that, if you are squeezing the brake lever to activate the switch to cut the motor, then the brake is going to stop the bike pretty sharpish anyway! Point taken :cool:
You only need brake cut-offs on bikes with crappy controllers that run on after you stop pedalling; however, some people see them as being useful as a quick way to cut power on any ebike. Like a throttle is useful as a means of getting instant maximum power, brake cut-offs give you instant zero power. There are some niche circumstances where that's useful.