Woman fighting for life after 'e-bike' hit-and-run in east London

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You could well be right there 'Ajax' but the term 'idiot' rolls off the tongue much easier.
I've often used chump or complete chump to express the same sentiment, since it seems somewhat more friendly while achieving the same end.

Another of the delights of the infinite flexibility of the English language, our best ever export and we didn't even charge for it.

Reactions: TedG and oldtom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It hasn't but I guess we all need to be aware that E-bikes are heavier than regular bikes so will cause more damage to flesh and bones when they hit at similar speeds
Not much more.. an ordinary bike will typically be 10 kg lighter than an ebike, .. say 30% lighter. But the cyclist will be about 70 to 80 kg, so it is the weight of the cyclist which is far more significant

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not much more.. an ordinary bike will typically be 10 kg lighter than an ebike, .. say 30% lighter. But the cyclist will be about 70 to 80 kg, so it is the weight of the cyclist which is far more significant
But the bike is hard, cyclists are soft and warm and cuddly, nicely rounded, even the naughty bits. :)

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
True, thought the 70 to 80kg of rider is soft and flexible whereas the heavier bike is neither :p

• Agree
Reactions: Gubbins

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Re # 113.
I would still be interested if anyone in that area or with local news access has any info about the injuries and indeed the recovery progress of both people.
Has there been any action taken by relevant authorities?

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
In an emergency, stick your naughty bits out. Softest impact

Editded the P. damimt rubber keypad ur hardly any better than the blueooth one

bluetooth one lmao cmon shieeet

• :D
Reactions: flecc

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Dreading hearing this but doubtless the bike, if indeed it has been recovered will now be subject to severe scrutiny regarding any "modifications".
Many differing views as to who was to blame but I can sense a bit of knee jerking building momentum.
Again I must ask for support ( understanding) from you guys regarding my well documented concerns and thoughts should this have happened here in Northern Ireland where sadly all e-bikes are still illegal.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dreading hearing this but doubtless the bike, if indeed it has been recovered will now be subject to severe scrutiny regarding any "modifications".
Many differing views as to who was to blame but I can sense a bit of knee jerking building momentum.
Frankly if it's found the bike has illegally fast assistance and it results in a widespread crackdown on illegal e-bikes, I won't shed any tears.

Sooner or later this whole issue is going to blow up, since illegal speed or power seems to be increasingly the norm. At least half the new entrants in here speak of derestricting intentions and higher power than 250 watts and such widespread illegality is unsustainable.

Much better action is taken now by a clampdown before e-biking grows very much larger and the outcome becomes much more unpleasant via restrictive legislation.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Frankly if it's found the bike has illegally fast assistance and it results in a widespread crackdown on illegal e-bikes, I won't shed any tears.

Sooner or later this whole issue is going to blow up, since illegal speed or power seems to be increasingly the norm. At least half the new entrants in here speak of derestricting intentions and higher power than 250 watts and such widespread illegality is unsustainable.

Much better action is taken now by a clampdown before e-biking grows very much larger and the outcome becomes much more unpleasant via restrictive legislation.
Firstly, why are we all assuming this bike is an ilegaly fast one?
Secondly, I wonder how such a clamp could be downed.
If every bike were stopped for a check like they do with HGVs how exactly could they be checked? I suppose there could be a portable trainer type device to see where the assistance ends but I really can't see that happening, unless there is a spate of fatal ebike related incidents. A few hundred in a year perhaps?
I suspect that it would need a transgresser to be severely and publicly punished to have any effect and even then it would be voluntary. I wonder if the other newsworthy case has stopped anyone riding fixies? Probably not!
To be fair my views are based on me never having riden a bike iner city so find it hard to imagine what it's actually like and how different it is to my rides up the valley A roads, and B roads over the moors where there isn't even a footpath, let alone pedestrians.
I was watching tv this morning (Dom on the spot) I think it was called, he interviews an HGV driver asking how cyclists were a problem to him.. not a mention of ebikes at all. His gripe was couriers who zoom in and out of traffic.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Because of my history of being competitive in a past life with EXUPs, Fireblades and 888s etc I was certainly no angel however when I read so much on this forum about guys attempting to uprate their e-bikes to be competitive I suddenly felt very old and therefore decided not to voice any adverse thoughts.
I still have those thoughts regarding altering the power output of an e-bike by whatever means and consequently making them illegal and drawing unnecessary attention to the use of such bikes on a public road.
Not to say what on earth would happen if there was to be an accident involving a derestricted bike.
Hopefully the bike in question will be within regulations.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
My understanding is IF he was riding a modified unrestricted bike - and even if the video exonerates him as the primary cause of the accident, he'll still be in deep doo-doo as he'll effectively have been illegally riding an uninsured, unregistered motor vehicle...

I really hope it was a legal pedelec for his sake but only the police investigators can determine that.

Advertisers