Woman fighting for life after 'e-bike' hit-and-run in east London

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
It appears he abandoned the bike and ran away. Am I right? The logical action would be to get it home and remove any devices that shouldn't be there..
Not quite so logical as that would be potentially adding perverting the course of justice to his offences... (common law offence, carrying a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder if the other newsworthy case has stopped anyone riding fixies? Probably not!
I understand many of them here in London rushed to add a rear brake though, so it's had a desirable effect.

I was watching tv this morning (Dom on the spot) I think it was called, he interviews an HGV driver asking how cyclists were a problem to him.. not a mention of ebikes at all. His gripe was couriers who zoom in and out of traffic.
Indeed they are an absolute menace to both road users and pedestrians in many world cities as well as London, and a high proportion ride fixies.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TedG

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Not quite so logical as that would be potentially adding perverting the course of justice to his offences... (common law offence, carrying a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.)
I doubt he would be considering that tho.. it would be more like the drinker running away then saying he has just had a drink after the accident..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No I noticed your wording so also used the word "we" meaning the group, and I am not making the assumption either.
I was objecting to you quoting my post, unfair since I had specifically not assumed. Without the quote your post would havre been ok with me.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
IF the bike has been tampered with then hopefully a custodial sentence will be seen as enough of a deterrent to others.
However, IF the bike was legal, we can probably expect much wider scrutiny of the safety of E-Bike as a result

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
IF the bike has been tampered with then hopefully a custodial sentence will be seen as enough of a deterrent to others.
However, IF the bike was legal, we can probably expect much wider scrutiny of the safety of E-Bike as a result
Sorry but why? Forget it being an ebike for a minute.. so far what evidence suggests he was riding recklessly, going through a red light or anything else untoward?

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
If every bike were stopped for a check like they do with HGVs how exactly could they be checked? I suppose there could be a portable trainer type device to see where the assistance ends but I really can't see that happening, unless there is a spate of fatal ebike related incidents. A few hundred in a year perhaps?
Just for info, the police here in Austria do have a portable dynamometer and do sometimes carry out speed checks. They are also clued up on the sequences some of the Bosch dongles require to start them.

• Informative
Reactions: TedG and Nefarious

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
If anyone wants an idea of scale of problem with illegal/overpowered/derestricted Ebikes just search ebay (uk) for ebikes. There are more 3000w kits sold than 250's . You done find a legal kit until around 12th listing. There are around 600 listings for kits. At a guess I, d suggest 1 in 10 is legal.
Point many have been making for years now is that people are not riding pedelecs, legal Ebikes. In majority of cases they are on uninsured, untaxed, unregistered and MOT fail motor bikes.
For a long time this forum has supported such behaviour.
I hope chap was on a legal bike in this case. However, it's only a matter of time before something is done.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
When I first joined this forum I rode mostly canal and bridleways and was easily able to keep pace with the group, in fact I considered my potential speed to be in excess of what was reasonable on shared canal paths so all the talk of dongles was lost on me, but I did note the dire warnings of what would happen were dealers to carry on selling and fitting these items and someone should be killed by one of them.
Well, years have passed, the sky is still blue and although ebikes are sneaking into the news the only mention of illegal devices is on here.. so much so that I suspect that if you Google the subject you will be directed to this forum. Even the cycle hating daily mail readers don't often air the subject when they get the chance to berate bycicles and cyclists (I confess to reading some of the comments on cycling related articles). All the hate seems to be directed at those that disregard general traffic law, specifically everyone on two wheels.
Of course this really sad case will shine a spotlight on ebike safety and we will see where it leads...

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If anyone wants an idea of scale of problem with illegal/overpowered/derestricted Ebikes just search ebay (uk) for ebikes. There are more 3000w kits sold than 250's . You done find a legal kit until around 12th listing. There are around 600 listings for kits. At a guess I, d suggest 1 in 10 is legal.
Point many have been making for years now is that people are not riding pedelecs, legal Ebikes. In majority of cases they are on uninsured, untaxed, unregistered and MOT fail motor bikes.
For a long time this forum has supported such behaviour.
I hope chap was on a legal bike in this case. However, it's only a matter of time before something is done.
Are the eBay kits are for home made bikes? I got the impression his was a proper shop bought legal e-bike.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Are the eBay kits are for home made bikes? I got the impression his was a proper shop bought legal e-bike.
All that's known is that it is a Specialized make of bike from news reports wether it's kitted out as OEM or aftermarket is unknown at this stage.

The Met Police said a Specialized electric-assisted mountain bike was found abandoned
Not sure if their range of Turbo e-bikes are available in the UK > https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/shop/bikes/turbo-e-bikes-its-you-only-faster/c/ebikes

Combining speed and style through an innovative pedal-assist motor, advanced electronics, and a sleek design, our Turbo e-bikes represents the full capabilities of the e-bike revolution. They're capable of achieving top speeds of 45 Km/h (27mph) while you pedal, so they'll deliver near superhuman power to any rider.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
You said it yourself SW. 8 mph... How fast do you go down towpath? I, d guess your bike is perfectly legal...!

Advertisers