Woman fighting for life after 'e-bike' hit-and-run in east London

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To my mind this tragedy is related to SMIDSY and THINK BIKE.
For some unknown reason people simply do not 'see' two wheeled vehicles.
Nothing to do with speed etc.
This is true, but I don't think the reasons are unknown. I think it's due to the dominant presence of larger motor vehicles, the obvious threat of their size and the roads obviously intended for them, making them what's being looked for. Add to that the imperfections of peripheral vision and not seeing a two wheeler will be commonplace.

I do think this case different though since a careful look at the video in slow motion seems to indicate she did see the e-bike. A somewhat slower bike was just passing as she arrived to cross and to me she was trying to get across quickly assuming the second bike going at the same speed. Of course it was appreciably faster but she didn't pause long enough to perceive that.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I was surprised that the cyclist did not ride closer to the kerb.
perhaps she thought that the cyclist would notice her and swerve behind her.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
From a bikers point of view approaching pedestrians one doesnt know how and in which direction or if at all they are going to move. Personally I slow down near a crossing if foot traffic is anywhere near it and if anywhere near a predominately pedestrian area I wouldn't be riding at full speed anyway so would like to think that my preventative actions ensure this is unlikely to happen to me.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
From a bikers point of view approaching pedestrians one doesnt know how and in which direction or if at all they are going to move. Personally I slow down near a crossing if foot traffic is anywhere near it and if anywhere near a predominately pedestrian area I wouldn't be riding at full speed anyway so would like to think that my preventative actions ensure this is unlikely to happen to me.
Yep, exactly the same here. Expect pedestrians to be foolish/reckless/unpredictable and allow for it. The thing with an E-Bike over a regular bicycle is that lost momentum is much less of a problem - it's easy to regain, so we should be more able to make allowances for other people

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
A pedelec /bicycle would not require insurance. An uninsured motorbike rider would be sued for any payments. (ie damages)
If it was found bike fell out of pedelec/bicycle category rider would face prosecution on numerous levels and sued for damages.
Let's say you ran into a kid on towpath. Uninsured. Kid goes straight to lawyer. Claims damages. Hardluck SW. Prosecution for no tax, CBT, insurance, not registered, no lights, no mot, After prosecution lawyer takes out civil action for damages.
Probably a remote chance of happening but how many Ebikes are now in use? No chance. You are on a motorbike.
Mirroring the current frightening situation in Northern Ireland.
Yet again I spoke to two e-bike riders locally in the last week. I had never met them before but both suggested that they are very careful and the dealer who supplied both bikes apparently told them that as nobody had as yet been prosecuted then just be careful......o_O

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
The thing with an E-Bike over a regular bicycle is that lost momentum is much less of a problem - it's easy to regain, so we should be more able to make allowances for other people
Good point. This is probably the reason that I can't recall having ever noted an e-biker having blown through a set of red lights.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Mirroring the current frightening situation in Northern Ireland.
Yet again I spoke to two e-bike riders locally in the last week. I had never met them before but both suggested that they are very careful and the dealer who supplied both bikes apparently told them that as nobody had as yet been prosecuted then just be careful......o_O
I guess that means that you can go derestricted without being any further outside of the law?!

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I guess that means that you can go derestricted without being any further outside of the law?!
Yes, neither the EAPC regulation nor the Type Approval law with its pedelec exemption are in force in Northern Ireland, so all pedelecs are L1e-B mopeds covering up to 30 mph with up to 4 kW of power assist.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Yes, neither the EAPC regulation nor the Type Approval law with its pedelec exemption are in force in Northern Ireland, so all pedelecs are L1e-B mopeds covering up to 30 mph with up to 4 kW of power assist.
And is unwanted by 99% of owners.

Edit.
99% IMO but 100% of those owners who I have had conversations with - and to date that has been a lot!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The whole electric bike trade is likely to undergo massive review. So far authorities have been trying to impose power limitations built for and around ICE. Its proving the power limits do not transfer too well. For example the 11kw limit for learners CBT shows up some rather large anomalies. The Zero DS is CBT applicable, learner legal and is certified for max continuous output of 11kw.(it over heats when asked to do more for long spells and electronics step in and slow it down) However in recent road tests this bike hit 60 mph in 4 seconds and showed around 35 bhp on dynometer. It's torque figures compare quite well to a fireblade. If you want to learn on one be quick, can't see powers that be allowing this for long. At moment price is limiting sales (it's about £12k even with government grant) But testers all agree you don't really need a faster bike... Somewhere on YouTube there is a clip of a Zero fx (28 kW) out accelerating a Kawasaki Ninja 10...Might be doctored but Kawasaki must be 160 bhp??? Zero fx in theory 40 or so.????
Seamless power delivery with torque from zero rpm gives ebike some massive advantages.
But apologies, this isn't really applicable or relevant to OP.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and TedG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

now that is being a d head

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The Bicycle hating Daily Mail has finally offered ttheir take on this story which has some interest if you can be bothered to read it. The ebike photo shows how ebikes are really like motorbikes, There is a mention of Dongles with one dongle seller being named and someone estimated the speed of one at 40 mph!
https://dailym.ai/2p7JtNA

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Bicycle hating Daily Mail has finally offered ttheir take on this story which has some interest if you can be bothered to read it. The ebike photo shows how ebikes are really like motorbikes, There is a mention of Dongles with one dongle seller being named and someone estimated the speed of one at 40 mph!
I don't know where the journalist (Angela Johnson) took her numbers from but this quote from the article seems unlikely to me:
Costing upwards of £400, they are already reckoned to account for more than 12 per cent of the market. A further 2.5 million sales are expected over the coming 12 months.
12% of 2.5 millions = 300,000 - a lot more than I expected.

• Agree

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Good God it's mayhem out there, I never realised the world was such a dangerous place!
Concerned of West Wales.

Seriously this kind of hyperbolic, emotive ranting is why I no longer read newspapers or even listen to the BritishBroadcorpingCasteration. I'll just hunker down in my Welsh bunker and watch the seasonal changes from my hilltop window.
Of course statistics can't lie, just depends which bit you choose to spotlight out of context.
All I can say is AAAAARRRRGH!:mad::mad:
Perhaps I need to get out on my 24Kg bullit bike and nuke some 'phone zombies or shall I just take out the 2 ton 4x4 instead?

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and Woosh

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Good God it's mayhem out there, I never realised the world was such a dangerous place!
Concerned of West Wales.

Seriously this kind of hyperbolic, emotive ranting is why I no longer read newspapers or even listen to the BritishBroadcorpingCasteration. I'll just hunker down in my Welsh bunker and watch the seasonal changes from my hilltop window.
Of course statistics can't lie, just depends which bit you choose to spotlight out of context.
All I can say is AAAAARRRRGH!:mad::mad:
Perhaps I need to get out on my 24Kg bullit bike and nuke some 'phone zombies or shall I just take out the 2 ton 4x4 instead?
I read it every morning over my first coffee and get great interest and amusement from some of their writings, but I should add that I read a lot of fiction... real life stories can be a bit boring.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know where the journalist (Angela Johnson) took her numbers from but this quote from the article seems unlikely to me:

12% of 2.5 millions = 300,000 - a lot more than I expected.
It's nothing remotely like that, the combination of imports from outside the EU and those from inside coming into the UK is some 62,000 now.

That 300,000 is roughly the annual sales of pedelecs in The Netherlands and probably where she got it from, since she was quoting that country elsewhere in the article.

• Informative

Advertisers