Worst Pedelec Accident?

• Thread starter Deleted member 33385
  • Start date

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
I retired at 45 and am still here 25 years later, having walked and cycled 70% of the rights of way in Shropshire. Having troubled getting the last 30% though.. Long way to drive.

As to flu.. I think more people had the jab this year, and the preventative measures for covid also work for flu.. That 's why the some other nations have been wearing face masks, and staying home when sick, for ages.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
As a youth I was apprenticed to the G.P.O. (now B.T.). One morning, in the mess room, an older chap was reading the union mag. He read out a bit that said that the average time of survival beyond retirement for union members was 3 days. Of course these were all guys who'd lived through the war in some way and had, probably, a much harder life than I've had.
In 1999 I decided I'd had enough of being a mistreated empoyee and went self employed. Now, at 67, I'm still working but much more selective about what I take on. I have use of a workshop and I'm playing in there with no commercial pressure. I have gathered various skills over the years and I'm enjoying applying them to projects.
I'd say it's better than what I saw happen to my father. Having had a hard life as a labourer and, latterly, long hours as a postman, he only got to enjoy a couple years of retirement. It seemed the pressures of working hard and long hours had left no time/energy to build or find extra interests. He just lost vitality for much beyond walking the dog.
If my current self had told my 20 year old self that I'd still be working now, he'd have been extremely depressed.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As a youth I was apprenticed to the G.P.O. (now B.T.). One morning, in the mess room, an older chap was reading the union mag. He read out a bit that said that the average time of survival beyond retirement for union members was 3 days. Of course these were all guys who'd lived through the war in some way and had, probably, a much harder life than I've had.
In 1999 I decided I'd had enough of being a mistreated empoyee and went self employed. Now, at 67, I'm still working but much more selective about what I take on. I have use of a workshop and I'm playing in there with no commercial pressure. I have gathered various skills over the years and I'm enjoying applying them to projects.
I'd say it's better than what I saw happen to my father. Having had a hard life as a labourer and, latterly, long hours as a postman, he only got to enjoy a couple years of retirement. It seemed the pressures of working hard and long hours had left no time/energy to build or find extra interests. He just lost vitality for much beyond walking the dog.
If my current self had told my 20 year old self that I'd still be working now, he'd have been extremely depressed.
It was seeing these truths that prompted my 16 year old decision to retire early and avoid this fate.

A place I took over to manage from 1974 had 4 males of it's 14 employees very close to 65 years old.

Two contracted cancer as they reached their 64th year, one dying after just three months and the other after eight months at just short of 65. A third had been diagnosed with prostate cancer while still at work and he died three months after retiring at 65, the fourth died an apparently natural death seven months after retiring at 65.

Similar to what you've posted they'd all had hard lives and three seemed to have little vitality or other interests. The odd one out who died just short of 65 was a keen Queens Park Rangers fan who never missed a home match, which doesn't say much for QPR's ability to inspire life.

D

Deleted member 33385

Death takes away more swiftly, what you don't use. Habitual strength exercisers who do compound exercises (as opposed to gym bunnies using machines that only exercise a few muscles at a time), such as martial artists (and it seems cyclists) retain more, as they age. With the way of the world, nearly all of my customers tend to work like people possessed, with no time for interests beyond working on their businesses. After retirement, the gardeners among them, seem to live longer than the others, but I believe that high load aerobic compound exercises which work the largest muscles in the body (legs), would stand them in better stead - cycling for instance - you lot seem to be as large an anomaly, as ageing martial artists.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The good thing about e-cycling is the vascular system gets a good work out with out busting a blood vessel as does the important knees joints, much better then pounding the concrete or tread mill running. Also the legs and ones buns get a bit of a tone up with out having to go to the gym, every time you ride one unwittingly is toning the lower part of the body.
Take today for instance after taking a full car load to the tip, instead of continuing my errands using the car I returned home to get my town bike out. I loaded up some honey to take to the shop to sell, then went to check on the bees. From there went to the quacks to put in my repeat prescription and take back the form for online patient access, having done so in to town for some shopping then home. 12 miles ridden without realising and more pleasing then using the car, only one issue and that was the smaller Sainsbury's store which has been in use for over 60 years is no longer and closed down. All business now transferred to the massive super store about a mile away, looks like covid and the turn down in customer numbers has played it's part.

D

Deleted member 33385

Is your honey from the summer? How long do bees hibernate? Is there absolutely no hive activity? Do many die over winter and do you have to buy more bees?

I loaded up some honey to take to the shop to sell

Do you have an online shop somewhere? If not, a suggestion: If you wanted to sell online locally and not accept online payments (those are always costly - if you want to accept cards, ebay or amazon might work for you), you can select "Cash only" as the sole payment option for local deliveries of your honey, within a specified radius around your home, by using the free version of Gloria Food:

Register as a "Honey Restaurant". It's pretty easy to use - specify your products and packages, customers add to cart and when they checkout, you get a notification on the app on your phone and you ring them back. You'll need a website of some sort to add the Gloria Food button to, but there are lots of free websites out there, including from Google - talking of which, you'll probably never get any customers unless you have a free Google Maps listing, which is very easy to set up:

...because Google Maps listings appear above organic listings, for local searches. The only worry would be the Council - if they discover you are running a business from your home, they can charge business rates on some or all of your home, and backdate it many years later... unless you register on Google Maps using a nearby virtual office. If you use a nearby virtual office (or accountant's address, many will allow use of their business address to register limited companies, and to receive your postcard verification code from Google [necessary for new business addresses]), on Gloria Food, you can specify a delivery map shape, instead of a radius.

I know many people who find the free version of Weebly adequate:

...and you can add a Gloria Food button to Weebly:

Gloria Food has an online popup chat help window, which is very good. I know many people who use it, not just restaurants, there are people selling hardware supplies, groceries and toiletries. You'll get a lot of nags to upgrade for the paid online card processing facilities.

It's all free, except the virtual office or account's address.

If you set up your Google Maps listing and free Google For Business basic website with contact details, that might be all you need. It all depends I suppose on how much honey you're making from your hives. Your honey could be making you money!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is your honey from the summer? How long do bees hibernate? Is there absolutely no hive activity? Do many die over winter and do you have to buy more bees?

My honey is spring, summer and Autumn varieties.
Honey bees don't hibernate, they are a social insect.
Hive activity usually once ambient temps are consistently above 8c, though also depends on hive material used.
Thousands of older bees die off over winter and colonies can die out from starvation and parasite mite & viruses.
Have never yet paid for any bees.

It's hobby with a little side line of some honey sales, business had never been an interest of mine. I leave that to those who like the red tape and what ever else it curtails.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

My honey is spring, summer and Autumn varieties.
Honey bees don't hibernate, they are a social insect.
Hive activity usually once ambient temps are consistently above 8c, though also depends on hive material used.
Thousands of older bees die off over winter and colonies can die out from starvation and parasite mite & viruses.
Have never yet paid for any bees.

It's hobby with a little side line of some honey sales, business had never been an interest of mine. I leave that to those who like the red tape and what ever else it curtails.

You're obviously not taking away too much honey, if they're not starving to death, which would necessitate the purchase of more bees. So there's activity earlier if you use more insulating matrials? What a wild hobby!

Red tape... who needs it? But I don't want the taxman to chop my head off - sorry, timeslipped to hundreds of years ago. Which is why I only ever trade intangibles, never hardware, there's far more red tape in hardware.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
What a wild hobby!

92000rpm fkn thing is going 450mph needs more woof! :p

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

92000rpm fkn thing is going 450mph needs more woof! :p

My Sennheiser HD600 headphone cables have right now died again, any recommendations on the most robust ones to buy Soundwave? Switching the soldering iron on... I've got some connectors and flux somewhere...

They would probably need much higher protection barriers for the crowd, to stop them being sharded to death, maybe a giant plexiglass dome.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
D

Deleted member 33385

no point spending stupid money on a cable im on my 3rd one lol

That's exactly what broke! Lasted 8 weeks! One dead channel. Even the genuine Sennheiser cables are rubbish. After killing one every few months, I bought these:

I don't have any OFC, I'll try to solder them onto the cr*ppy wires that all ready cables seem to contain - instead of using rubber sheath, they coat +/- with a micron of coloured plastic, which makes repair tricky. I've found that if you burn that coating off and clean with isopropyl, and use a good flux, it's possible to solder the ends on. Bloody fiddly though...

D

Deleted member 33385

no point spending stupid money on a cable im on my 3rd one lol

Lol, This previous attempt might amuse you:

...I tried to strengthen it using heatshrink and Bostik lol... It took so long to do one channel that I decided it made more sense, from an hourly rate point of view, to just buy new cr*ppy cables.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0072_02.JPGDSC_0073_02.JPGDSC_0074.JPG

did not work for me just fkn melted the connector and still no signal.

D

Deleted member 33385

View attachment 41095View attachment 41096View attachment 41097

Yep, easily done - I bought this to reduce solder surface tension, which should mean the heat doesn't end up applied for so long:

I've also got a new higher power soldering iron with smaller flat tips. I'll get this cable situation sorted once and for all! I mean, Sennheiser make the best headphones in the world and fit them with the most useless cables of any headphone manufacturer... even the high end Sonys come with better cables - with rubber sheathing too. Maybe I should solder Sennheiser ends onto one of those...

D

Deleted member 33385

View attachment 41095View attachment 41096View attachment 41097

I got signal - just burn off that coloured coating with a lighter and clean off the soot using alcohol, because it gunks the solder. After getting signal, I bought new cables. Takes too long... will try later after some exercise on the bike, while it's dark and the streets are all mine, and the burglar's.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got the original cable that came with my 650s ends cut off tho, and the other connector if you want it just pm me a address to send it to.

D

Deleted member 33385

i got the original cable that came with my 650s ends cut off tho, and the other connector if you want it just pm me a address to send it to.

Cheers mate! I've got loads of ends and cables to choose from - I've had these cans for 10 years and I've kept a lot of the dead cables.