Would you leave your electric bike at a station all day

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have noticed this Haibike left locked at a local station quite regularly for around seven months now.
Bike at station rhododendron 009.JPG
It hasn't gone missing so far!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I do but it is a bike garage which opens with the transport card. The police station and its CCV camera is opposite the entrance. I even leave the pannier with the battery in it (locked) on the bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe that it is actually on the platform makes it a bit safer ?
A bit more obvious if angle grinder or bolt cutter is needed ?
Or a low crime area.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As Neale says, most of Surrey is a relatively low crime area.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Was there a very similar thread to this recently? I've had a quick look to see if I can find it and I can't so I am starting to worry if I have dreamt it lol. If anyone knows which thread I am talking about can you put a link to it.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I think if you work normal-ish hours when the station is busy and there are platform staff around it will be much safer than later into the evening or overnight.

I have always believed that stations are sadly a high risk area for bike theft.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Was there a very similar thread to this recently? I've had a quick look to see if I can find it and I can't so I am starting to worry if I have dreamt it lol. If anyone knows which thread I am talking about can you put a link to it.
There's been three mentioning this that I can remember, here's one link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nev

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In this case the bike stands are located on the main platform of the station so more obvious to see misdemeanours going on.
Train station near to me the bike racks are easy access located around side of the station entrance, so no staff coming and going.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
If it any thing like our local station c2c line there is rarely any visible staff outside the rush hour period . the bike thieves travel out on the train from east London this would make there day steal a bike and hop back on the train

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You didn't give the name of the station, my angle grinder battery is charged now... :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Don't bother AK by the time you get there form San Sabastian it will be gone most likely.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing