Would you pay for a test ride?

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
Just saw this on ebay, £10 (refundable if you buy) for a test ride and an explanation of the bike!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-Bosch-Powered-E-Bike-Electric-Bicycle-Demonstration-Experience-Test-Ride-/262846477129?epid=556693362&hash=item3d32def349:g:BooAAOSw32lYnepV

KTM Bosch Powered E-Bike / Electric Bicycle Demonstration Experience Test Ride
  • You are purchasing an extensive demonstration and test ride on one of our amazing Bosch Powered KTM E - Bikes
  • The test ride takes place from our shop here in Cornwall. Only 5 minutes drive south from the A30 at Launceston so convenient for both Cornwall and Devon.
  • We will take you through the workings of the Bosch powered KTM current demonstrator and talk to you about the large range we have for you to choose from to buy / order if we do not have the required model in stock on the day.
  • You will be accompanied by one of our demonstration staff at all times
  • Photo ID will be needed as will your own helmet
  • Advance bookings are essential
  • The demonstration fee is fully refundable if you decide to go ahead and purchase one of our amazing bikes on the day of the demonstration

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

I don't believe that they intend you to actually hire the bike. it's probably free to test ride. That's just a way to get a cheap advert on Ebay.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I like the idea.
You get plenty of time to take the bike out for a proper test without being pressurized by anyone.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not just the £10, they say a helmet is needed, cheeky gits. I'd boycott that dealer.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Chevin cycles in skipton charge £50. You can have it all day but dont get owt back if you dont buy it.
but it is then been used so offer 60% of rrp ebike shop does that even if you take it out the box and dont like it ;)

• Informative

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Anyone charging for a test ride wouldn't get my money. You should get plenty of time to test ride without pressure, for free.
So as a dealer, how would you propose to filter out all the knobhead yobs who would be beating at your door for a free blast on your expensive ebike, pretending they are interested to buy, when in reality, they just want a free laugh ?

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Cliff-C

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2016
UK
I agree with Woosh. A quick test ride around the block should be free but I am happy to pay for an extensive test ride which reflects the wear and tear (albeit minor) on the bike. In the past I have hired cars for a day to get a thorough test before deciding whether to purchase.

In the motorcycle world there are people who just do lots of test rides for fun with no intention to purchase. Ultimately the cost of providing demonstrator bikes is passed on to purchasers.

Sent from my Paris using Tapatalk

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
So as a dealer, how would you propose to filter out all the knobhead yobs who would be beating at your door for a free blast on your expensive ebike, pretending they are interested to buy, when in reality, they just want a free laugh ?
Dunno! Last time I was at ikley cycled a customer was drooling over my giant asking all the usual nonsense questions when salesman took up the slack and offered a him a loan bike!
Whenever I ask for a test ride they just wheel one out, but they know me and where I live,
Last time I was at chevin they told me about the £50 idea, they say it has stopped all time wasters....

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I agree with Woosh. A quick test ride around the block should be free but I am happy to pay for an extensive test ride which reflects the wear and tear (albeit minor) on the bike. In the past I have hired cars for a day to get a thorough test before deciding whether to purchase.

In the motorcycle world there are people who just do lots of test rides for fun with no intention to purchase. Ultimately the cost of providing demonstrator bikes is passed on to purchasers.

Sent from my Paris using Tapatalk
Demonstrator cars are sold off at a discount.. but probably still making some profit.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Last time I was at chevin they told me about the £50 idea, they say it has stopped all time wasters....
I bet it has! Maybe A&E should take a leaf out of their book, £50 a visit would soon get rid of the cut finger and splinter brigade who overload them with trivial complaints.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I bet it has! Maybe A&E should take a leaf out of their book, £50 a visit would soon get rid of the cut finger and splinter brigade who overload them with trivial complaints.
What about self harmers?

If I thought that trying a bike was going to cost me £x. I doubt if I'd even look.

• Agree
Reactions: BigG and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
What about self harmers, drug addicts, alcoholics, smokers and felchers?

If I thought that trying a bike was going to cost me £x. I doubt if I'd even look.
i got 4 out of 5 if crashing going to fast counts as self harm i never done it but gravity is a bitch ;)

• Agree

basicasic

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
Amsterdam
It depends on what you define as a timewaster. How many times have I read on here 'go test ride bikes to see whether you like them or if they suit you'.

Bosch v Shimano v Panasonic, Crank v hub, pedal assist v throttle, vtt v vtc v road etc etc

There are a lot of variations out there and a perfectly genuinely interested buyer could 'waste' a lot of dealers' time finding the right bike for them. Genuine customer? sorry mate you're just a timewaster if you don't happen to buy my bike or cough up £10 or 50 to try it. You could end up spending a fortune testing bikes before finding the one you like.

I've never paid to test drive a car or motorbike and any ebike dealer trying it on would be immediately scratched off my list.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What about self harmers?
I think A&E should have a standard levy of £50 per visit, cancelled if the practitioner treating considers the physical condition for treatment a genuine emergency. That can of course include self inflicted injuries, those giving physical treatment aren't in a position to make judgments outside of that sphere.

• Agree
Reactions: BigG and LeighPing