xiongda questions

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
For all those interested in the Xiongda double speed motor, we now have full kits (including a fully built wheel) in stock £250 for either the 36V or 48V version, this includes next day delivery. We also have double speed hub motor kits (not built into a wheel) for £225.

The hub motor used is the v-brake style motor (not compatible with disc brakes) and the dropout widths on these are the standard 100mm and 135mm (as advertised on our technical details section of the product page). This is unlike the disc brake style hub motor which have wider dropout widths and are not suitable for those looking for a straightforward conversion.

We have spare controllers and LCD displays in stock for after sale service, and we offer next day delivery on our items.

See link to a full video showing how to fit the kit

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Panda site says disc brake Xiongda 2 speed coming soon, very good news and another kit option to be made available with in the uk, so buyers will soon have both brake choice options.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes we know that, but some e bikers aren't to keen or sure about buying direct and would like to buy form uk with back up.

Reactions: jonathan75
D

Deleted member 4366

You get really good back-up direct from Xiongda. It's the same when you deal directly with any of the manufacturers like Xofo and Mxus. It's only when you buy from a factor/stockist that you get problems.

Zash

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2015
Hi Fellas,

I'm about to order this kit with the LiShui LCD and controller, thanks to d8veh and others for all your insight!

I have a couple of questions though...

Bonnie tells me: "with Lishui controller, there will be no h/a/l switch, only use button on the display to change gears."

d8veh on post #2 said:
"The difficult choice is between the optional Lishui controller or the Kunteng one. The LS one allows you to use low gear whenever you want on any level. The KT one only gives max power in low gear, which you can only select as level 6, or cones automatically in level 5 if you slow fown too much. Both controllers have advantages and disadvantages"

Now I'm thoroughly confused as these statements kinda imply a contradiction against each other regarding how the LS controller works. It seems that it is the KT controller which allows you (with the use of the HAL switch) to switch between high and low any time you want whereas the LS forces you to go through the LCD.

Please can someone clarify the difference between the 2 kits?

Example scenarios where each might be useful and not useful giving advantages and disadvantages for each kit would be amazing! :)

My second question is regarding the throttle for these kits. Where might I buy one that is compatible? Are they generally universal? Is there a recommended type? i.e. Thumb vs motorbike throttle style?

I would be grateful for your info. I am looking forward to building this over the next week or so.

Kind regards,
Zash
Cambridge.

D

Deleted member 4366

This is a tricky one. There seem to be a lot of conflicting stories. I have the KT controller that has no HAL switch. Automatic changing only happens in level 5. To manually set low gear, you select level 6 (L).

I now have just received a LiShui controller that doesn't have the switch, neither does it have the connector for one. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how it works.

The first kits came with LiShui controllers (?) and the HAL, switch. You could change gear at any time in any level.

All versions have a standard three-wire throttle connector (JST SM 2.5).

Last edited by a moderator:

Zash

May 25, 2015
Hi d8veh,

Thank you for the reply.

I wonder if the HAL function has now been integrated onto the LCD in a way that easy manual selection is possible without an external HAL switch... probably not... thy have probably removed the manual high/low gearing altogether, and everything will be on automatic, which is a shame...

Is the LS one meant to be more efficient? Presumably it'll be quieter as someone said it uses a sine wave instead of a square wave so the "chopping" of the signal will be inaudible?

Frankly, I wouldn't mind the noise to an extent. I am more concerned with with efficiency / power / range.

When might you be looking into installing the kit?

If it will be over the next week then I may as well wait for your thoughts on it :)

Kind regards,
Zash

D

Deleted member 4366

I can't see how anything can be better than my KT controller. The motor is silent at all levels in high gear apart from when going slowly in level 5, when you can just about hear something. It's not the normal wine, more a sort of hollow sound. It disappears as soon as you get any speed. In low gear, you get a slight wine. It's like you've engaged a winch. The torque is incredible. The KT controller is sine-wave. I won't be trying that controller soon because I have too many other projects.

D

Deleted member 4366

One other thing that applies to the KT controller. When you use the throttle without pedaĺling, it's normally proportional. The display immediately changes to level 5 and the gear-changing is automatic, but as soon as you pedal, the power changes to maximum because you're pedalling on level 5, so if you want to use low throttle, you can't pedal. I practice, that isn't a problem.

Zash

May 25, 2015
Thanks for the insight d8veh. I was leaning towards the LS as I was under the impression that it was better, but your 2 last posts seem to indicate that the KT one will be better (at least it has known quirks) whereas the LS controller is an unknown.

I have written back to Bonnie to ask for differences between the 2. I hope she will be able to provide more info, which I shall post here for posterity.

Would you know where I might buy reasonably priced sensor brakes / throttles controller bag within the UK? The Xiongda kit doesn't seem to come with either. Pandabikes do these but I was hoping for more variety.

D

Deleted member 4366

I get all my stuff direct from China. You can get anything from Aliexpress, thouh it sometimes takes a while to come.

Ask Xiongda. I think they have a lot more stuff than in their listings.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Well i ordered a lishui controller and i have received one with a hal switch which is not what she said to me! Not actually checked the make our lcd combo so will do tomorrow!

Zash

May 25, 2015
This is what she had to say about the 2:

"Lishui is good about the working current, it's lower than KT, lower noisy, and the gear shifting is much faster.
KT is good at the power, i mean feel more powerful when go up hills. The gear shifting is 1~2 secs delay, but you won't
feel it when riding."

Zash

May 25, 2015
I ordered both controllers and LCDs, and have finished installing the system. Premilinary results are impressive.

I opted to install the LiShui system first as the impression I got was that it was more economical, and the LCD just looks better to be honest.

The only problem I am having now is that the LCD is reporting low battery and low voltage (31.5v). I am running a fully charged 48v 20Ah LiFePO4. I have manually checked the battery output from the battery and then from the power meter, which both show the correct 54v.

The controller was rather hot after a 5 minute ride. I need to put ventilation holes in the bag I presume, but could be related.

The throttle is unmarked and presumably universal. Bonnie provided it so I'm inclined to accept that it would work at the correct voltage.

I have read through the manual and nothing indicates that there are battery setting options. Perhaps the LCD is not designed for a 48v system?

Help would be appreciated. I have also written to Bonnie.

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 4366

I can't help you with that problem because I haven't used the Lishui controller yet.

I notice that the display is the same as the Oxygen/Oxydrive ones, where there are three levels of power and 7 (including zero) speed levels. Did you try it on the maximum power setting. I see that it's on "normal" at the moment.

Could you let us know what it's like on all the different settings?

Zash

May 25, 2015
Hi d8veh,

I tried it on the 3 different eco, normal, power settings but no difference to the voltage and battery level reported.

Once I get this issue sorted, I'll certainly pen my thoughts on it.

In the meantime, the test data from my motor:

Zash

May 25, 2015
The problem was a defective LCD. Bonnie shipped a working one quickly - great customer service!

Everything working well now. I'll test out the settings at some point.

I have not tried the KT but early difference:

Obviously, the LS looks nicer.
LS needs to be programmed for a certain voltage etc at the factory. Advanced settings are not exposed tot he user.

KT can be programmed by the user using an advanced menu. PAS number of magnets, voltage, etc can be all adjusted from here. Looking at the manuals, the KT system seems to be quite technically accomplished.