xiongda questions

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Well firstly i will add that i now own a xiongda motor and have'finished' my first build. Always tweaks to do but used almost daily and working great.

My latest question is whether anyone has run a 2WD set up with 2 of these motors? I love the torque of the low gear but I have started using the bike to drag a friend on a mountain board creating a wakeboard style experience. Lots of fun. But now i want more torque!

I was thinking i could just build a new front wheel and then when i want 2WD put in the motor wheel and when i want to use the ebike for its usual purpose of commuting put in my 'normal' non-powered front wheel.

D

Deleted member 4366

You'd need to change to a more powerful battery to work two motors, then you'd need two controllers, two LCDs, etc. Not really practical!

Reactions: handbaked

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
You'd need to change to a more powerful battery to work two motors, then you'd need two controllers, two LCDs, etc. Not really practical!
Fair enough thought that might be the case. Any suggestions for models of motors to look at in the 750w+ range that would be OK with my eclipse battery and be a bit more up to this task?

D

Deleted member 4366

It depends how much torque you want. The 48v Xiongda is OK for low speed. A 48v Q128 at 20A gives a bit more torque, and speed up to 20 mph, then a 48v BPM at 25A, but that might be a bit much for your battery.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
My Xiongda lose power when it gets warm.I had this problem before.I am starting to belive it is something with the battery.The controller gets a little hot and it is close to the batterys BMS.Maybe that is a problem.I used the xiongda when it was cold up a very steep hill today.With hard pedalling I had 14 kmh.Later when the motor was warm (ca 60 celsius degree) I only could get about 6 kmh up the same hill.Something I notice was that the power/current indicator on the bigstone lcd only showed about half power at full throttle.Why is that? any ideas D8veh or anybody else

D

Deleted member 4366

I've not heard of or experienced anything like that. Were you in low gear each time?

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
yes I was in low gear both times,and about the same pedalpower from me.I dont uderstand why,but it has to be the batteryI.It is a 48v 15 ah shrink tube battery from bms battery.I have mention before that my other Xiongda motor also was weak when it was warm,and also remember I was complaining about the torque of the 500w cst motor with a s09p controller.It was the same battery in every case.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Xiongda controller is only 15A maximum. That wouldn't give your battery a hard enough time to bother it. There's no temperature sensor in the motor, so the motor temperature can't be the problem. That only leaves the controller. You could try giving it more air to keep it cool. See if that makes a difference.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
It was the controller.I left it out in free air and the problem was gone.But today the one way bearing in low speed gear broke.The motor was spinning but the wheel didnt turn.high speed gear is ok.works as normal.So this is my last try with Xiongda.Its a good idea,but the quality is not good enough.And also the motor gets hot a little too easy imo.The one way bearing broke when I was pedaling up a maybe 14% hill around 6-7 kmh at about 50% throttle

D

Deleted member 4366

I believe that your problem is thst the ring gear housing is cracked. I'm pretty surd that this happens when you drag the bike backwards. The clutches can both lock, which puts a massive force on that ring due to the wedging of the clutch rollers. Twinkle had the same on one of her trikes and a guy on ES has broken his gears tice on a trike.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I believe that your problem is thst the ring gear housing is cracked. I'm pretty surd that this happens when you drag the bike backwards. The clutches can both lock, which puts a massive force on that ring due to the wedging of the clutch rollers. Twinkle had the same on one of her trikes and a guy on ES has broken his gears tice on a trike.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.
lately I have dragging it backwards a few times beacause of my dog dragging me backwards from standstill position.And I could hear the motor didnt like it.I will open it next week and post some pics.I have another burned xiongda motor so I have spare parts.

D

Deleted member 4366

The clutch is easy to replace. Just swap the side-plates. Watch out for the little shims next to the bearings.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
So this is my last try with Xiongda.Its a good idea,but the quality is not good enough.And also the motor gets hot a little too easy imo.The one way bearing broke when I was pedaling up a maybe 14% hill around 6-7 kmh at about 50% throttle
I've done about 2000 kilometers on mine, it's a 36v model that I'm running at 12S, and I'm very happy with it.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
lately I have dragging it backwards a few times beacause of my dog dragging me backwards from standstill position.And I could hear the motor didnt like it.I will open it next week and post some pics.I have another burned xiongda motor so I have spare parts.
Is there anyway round this happening? A couple of times i have rolled it back by accident. Its a bit stupid you cant roll a bicycle backwards :-/

D

Deleted member 4366

Different Xiongda motors behave differently. Some lock if stopped in high gear, some lock if left in low ger, some don't lock at all, others lock whatever you do. Mine's OK if I push it slowly, but it starts clacking if I pull it backwards too fast. Xiongda claimed that they fixed it with the latest version. I think the main thing is to be aware of the problem. I guess that some people don't realise what's happened, maybe thinking their wheel has got caught on something so just pull harder.

Does your one lock when you pull it backwards?

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Different Xiongda motors behave differently. Some lock if stopped in high gear, some lock if left in low ger, some don't lock at all, others lock whatever you do. Mine's OK if I push it slowly, but it starts clacking if I pull it backwards too fast. Xiongda claimed that they fixed it with the latest version. I think the main thing is to be aware of the problem. I guess that some people don't realise what's happened, maybe thinking their wheel has got caught on something so just pull harder.

Does your one lock when you pull it backwards?
Yes when i roll it backwards but not every time. I normally turn the power off when in 5 PAS but sometimes it's fine and it let's me roll backwards other times it gets caught.

Another couple of questions i have is whether you or anyone had over-volted the 48v motor? I was wondering if it would put up with a 60v pack? It would obviously give me more torque and i presume more speed as well as better acceleration. I know you run 48v through the 36v model but wanted to know of opinions or experience with the 48v model.

Also does anyone have a spare PAS crank sensor. Ideally after the xiongda version as i had to mod my other to fit my oversize BB and now moving to standard size BB.

Cheers

Last edited:

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
Hi,i have a 36 v battery and i'm searching a motor with torque for long big hills.I dont't want speed,with a maximum of 20 kmh im hapy.Im considering to buy a xiongda for 26" wheel and lace it to 20" wheel.its a good idea?and other question is if i can use the motor without the display.Thanks and sorry for my english.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
hub motors are limited by their RPM. XD motors have maximum speed around 21mph-22mph on 26" wheels, if you want to mount it on 20" wheel, you'll also need 36 spokes of the right length and your maximum speed will drop to about 17mph.
For 20mph on 20" wheels, you'll need a 328rpm hub motor or an 8-Fun BBS01 crank drive kit.

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
Ith 15mph im hapy,just want a lot of torque for going big and large hills.i supose than bbs01 its beter for the hills than xd motor,but the bbs its more expensive.im 75 kg.i can go with xiongda motor low speed rpm laced in 20" wheel a 8% 7 km hill?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Ith 15mph im hapy,just want a lot of torque for going big and large hills.i supose than bbs01 its beter for the hills than xd motor,but the bbs its more expensive.im 75 kg.i can go with xiongda motor low speed rpm laced in 20" wheel a 8% 7 km hill?

Any e-bike kit can do 8% hills. The XD kit is about twice as good as an ordinary kit on steep hills.
With your weight on 20" wheels, the XD kit can attack 20% hills without or with little pedalling.

if you find the BBS01 a bit expensive, the woosh GSM crank drive kit is £249, not much more than the XD kit and the LCD is particularly big and clear.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit#gsmkit

Last edited: