XiongDa Two-Speed Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

I wouldn't count on it being solved. they made some improvements, but i don't know if they fixed it completely.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a kit for my wife's recumbent trike. She has some difficulties with stamina and strength and needs some relatively slow speed (8-12km/h) help with hills. The XiongDa sounded ideal but for the pushing backwards issue. If not the XiongDa, is there another motor you would recommend?
I would suggest you use a Bafang BBS kit, it's more efficient at low speed. The XD motor can of course be locked into low speed only but it's still not as flexible as selecting a low gear on your trike.

Old Bloke

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 19, 2015
Thanks Woosh, what do you think of the Tongsheng TSDZ2 in comparison to the BBS-01 (both in 250W versions)?

Ken

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think you'd better off with the BBS - torque sensor is no match for a simple twist and go throttle.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Buddy has recently been in touch with Bonnie regarding the Xiongda double speed motor, specifically winding speeds. Bonnie replied 36v motor can be different winding, different RPM. If you want 25km/h, or 30km/h, no problem,
they just make different winding of the motor.
Does anyone here have any hands on experience or knowledge of these variations and their on-road characteristics?

D

Deleted member 4366

I have both the 48v and the 36v versions. They both go approximately the same speed, but the 48v one has twice as much torque. On the road that's about 10-12 mph in low gear and about 20-22mph in high gear. I ran the 36v one at 48v, which made it a lot faster, but it didn't feel as efficient. If you run the 36v one at 20 amps, it's almost identical to the 48v one at 15A.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
I'm intrigued by Bonnie's mention of different windings on a 36v motor - what might they be and how might that change the characteristics. I wouldn't want to sacrifice torque for speed, but if there's a happy medium?
Any knowledge of the 36v 'different windings' she refers to?
I.E does that mean it becomes a 48v version OR a 36v with a different rotational speed.

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
A motor with a 'fast' winding is no more or less capable than a motor with a 'slow' winding - they will both operate at the same temperature while asked to create the same amount of torque at the same speed. The difference between them will be the combination of volts & amps required to reach a given performance point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I'm intrigued by Bonnie's mention of different windings on a 36v motor - what might they be and how might that change the characteristics. I wouldn't want to sacrifice torque for speed, but if there's a happy medium?
Any knowledge of the 36v 'different windings' she refers to?
I.E does that mean it becomes a 48v version OR a 36v with a different rotational speed.
I explained the differences in my previous post. The 36v one is wound for a 33% higher speed (33% higher kV) than the 48v one so that they go at the same speed at their respective nominal voltages, though the 48v one makes 33% more torque because of its higher voltage.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Info from Bonnie regarding alternate 36v windings.

36V motor in a 700C rim,
19 turns gives 190RPM = 25km/h
17 turns gives 228RPM/ = 30km/h

She states that the speed difference won't impact the torque much, because the gear reduction ratio won't change.