XiongDa Two-Speed Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

The BMSB one will work out at about £280 when all is said and done. I think that they're the same as the Woosh one, so it might make more sense to get it from Woosh unless you get other stuff at the same time.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If you buy from BMSBATTERY
battery: $299
air freight by FEDEX: $104
total: $403
duty: $24
Paypal: ($1.6071 = £1) = £265.70
Fedex customs clearance: £10
VAT on £275.70 = £55.14
Total = £330.84

In addition to higher cost, the bmsbattery's battery has 10A continuous discharge, 20A peak discharge, the Woosh has 28A continous discharge.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If you buy from BMSBATTERY
battery: $299
air freight by FEDEX: $104
total: $403
duty: $24
Paypal: ($1.6071 = £1) = £265.70
Fedex customs clearance: £10
VAT on £275.70 = £55.14
Total = £330.84

In addition to higher cost, the bmsbattery's battery has 10A continuous discharge, 20A peak discharge, the Woosh has 28A continous discharge.

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to do your sums again. AFAIK nobody has ever had to pay more than about £40 for duty, VAT and Fedex handling cost on a battery. I've bought about 8 batteries and never paid more than that.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
I get all my batteries from Hobbyking, but unless you know the dos and don'ts of working with Lipos, you should go with the battey from BMSbattery or Woosh.

The advantage of getting them from Hobbyking, is that I get the 14.4v, 5ah hardcase Lipos for £15 each (shipped from UK, so it includes vat and duty) so that nine of them (giving me 44v and 15ah) costs £135. Add another £20 for a charger, and you can see why I prefer that route.

But before you even think about going that route, read this:

http://www.icharger.co.nz/articles/ArticleId/6/Introduction-To-Lipo-Batteries.aspx

http://www.icharger.co.nz/articles/ArticleId/3/Lipo-Lithium-Battery-Safety-Guide.aspx

Reactions: derf

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You need to do your sums again. AFAIK nobody has ever had to pay more than about £40 for duty, VAT and Fedex handling cost on a battery. I've bought about 8 batteries and never paid more than that.
The $24 (£15) duty was calculated on CIF basis.
[AFAIK nobody has ever had to pay more than about £40 for duty, VAT and Fedex handling cost on a battery]
that's because bmsbattery would put a reduced amount on the commercial invoice. Not all suppliers want to do that.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, but we're talking about buying the battery from BMSB aren't we?

nabidana

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2010
Quick query re: batteries and setting them up with this kit. Assume I'm getting the Woosh battery. How much bodging do I need to do to wire the thing up? is there a standard connector or am I going to have to get the soldering iron out?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Woosh battery has about 50cm lead with bullet connectors. Depending where you put your controller, it may be OK, just plug in without soldering anything, or ask them for a couple of spare crimps. Looks like this one:

D

Deleted member 4366

The Xiongda controller has bullet connectors too, so hopefully it'll be plug-and-play. It should make an excellent system together.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
I love my Xiong Da. But one of the wires from the controller to the battery broke while I was in the field (literally).

Those wires are very short on the controller they sent me, and although they are mulitstrand, they aren't 1000-strand like the 10awg wire you can get from Hobbyking.

I'm constantly plugging and unplugging the battery, so this might not affect you.

I cut off the bullet connectors, added a length of 1000-strand 10awg silicone wire, and terminated with an EC5 (which is what I use as standard on my batteries and controllers, because they're easier to plug and unplug than the alternatives I tried.

nabidana

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2010
DrSolly, I think you've gone with a custom battery solution, whereas as I understand it the Woosh system has a battery cradle - so in essence I will be wiring the cradle to the kit. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that's correct.
BMSBattery.com have similar cradles but with controller built in, that should make neat hub kits.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
That's right, I'm using battery packs made up by myself from Hobbyking batteries. It means I have to make up quite a lot of soldered connections, but I don't mind doing that, and it does mean I get a 12s 5ah battery for £45. I wouldn't recommend this for an absolute beginner!

nabidana

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2010
Trex - just a boggle here - are you saying the BMSbattery kits have a built in controller and Woosh kits don't? As I understand it, the motor controller for the XiongDa is external (little finned box) but I assumed battery management would be built in to the Woosh one as well?

(Forget it - I see the Woosh has a BMS and I am more of an idiot than I thought.

D

Deleted member 4366

With the BMSBattery batteries, you have the option of a 20 amp sine-wave controller in the base. This is great for most hub-motors because it makes a very neat installation, but it's no good for Xiongda because the Xiongda has a special controller. The Woosh battery is the same as those from BMSB without the included controller.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
woosh will try to 3D print a box for standard size 6 FET and 9 FET controllers to be attached to the craddle. That may suit the xiongda 6 FET controller. Or you can design your own box, email it to Woosh to print on their 3D printer.

nabidana

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2010
Motor kit arrived! Very exciting. Bloody heavy (but I have nothing to compare it with). Out frame hunting this afternoon.

nabidana

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2010
Battery due to arrive from Wooshbikes tomorrow. Tony in Kits is very friendly and very helpful, so I am pretty happy so far. Sold my incompatible bike.

Trex - the bike you show there - is that quill-type fork strong enough for the torque? If so it might have made my bike purchase a lot easier.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you don't need torque arms if you have steel fork. What fork do you have?