Yet Another London Cyclist Death Today

D

Deleted member 4366

Flecc, I'm not ranting about lorry drivers, I'm ranting against the commonly held opinion that accidents involving lorries and cyclists are invariably the cyclist's fault. You know none of the details of the recent tragedies, yet rant on about them as if they're without doubt another example of 'your advice' not being heeded.
You make an interesting point; however, it's a fact that if the cyclist hadn't been there, he wouldn't have been involved in that accident. The point Flecc is making IIUR is that there's an element of risk in everything you do, Some things are more risky than others. If you put yourself in a very risky situation, you can expect consequences. The idea is to enjoy riding you bike with the minimum risk you can manage.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I'm not sure if it is the weather or what but I have noticed plenty more sirens on and witnessed a close shave today when a cyclist passed me as I stopped early of a junction and they went sailing on and almost got hit side on by an undercover cop car. I always have a look around to try and spot the police/ambulance/fire engine and if it is coming from behind pull up onto the pavement as I expect the cars to all try and pull towards the curb/me. Near junctions it can be tricky but again picking a safe spot, crossing a cross roads as you have a green light is I think how most emergency service vs cyclist crashes happen. Coming from ahead it depends if the other lane is clear, they will go around cars on the wrong side of the road ect so pavement again or stay still so if they want to go in the middle or anything you won't get hit. Never a perfect science to it but forgetting going from A to B for a few seconds helps.

Another thing I noticed is since I got the cruiser and so starting going a little slower that I pull to one side when I can for buses who will certainly pass me soon and nod/wave, the bus passes me when I want which is certainly better/safer and then usually if I catch up the driver will give me more room to get around or whatever. The tfl training seems to give them some weird ideas about indicating tho as I have noticed many many buses indicating a left turn when the bus route goes straight, it is a signal not to undertake them but people then overtake them instead or try too and get left in the middle of 2 lanes of traffic. As for buses pulling away/out from a stop and indicating after, I lost count a long long time ago so look back to check the lane I will be pushed into as I get 2/3 along won't be filled.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Railings, that's one thing we could easily fix. It seems to me that many of these fatalities happen when the railings cut off the cyclist's escape route. If something is absolutely required to stop vehicles mounting the curb then it should be evenly space bollards, never railings on left turns.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I've posted as much previously Streethawk. Railings can't always protect pedestrians anyway, I've seen cases where a vehicle has flattened the railings down onto the pavement.

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Yes. This one. There's also the Zéfal one, but it's not easy to find the right-hand fitting version. In any case, being French, it's not as well made as the Mirrycle.
Sigh. I don't think I can live with bicycle mirrors. I fitted it and then immediately wanted to throw the cycle in the car and took it off again without ever having tested it.