Yosepower hub kits.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Not a good choice really.
That listing stated 30a continuous:confused: I was close(ish) but then am I right in saying there's a 29E7 (ver7) at 8.25a?

This is why I got hacked off with the chinese sellers and sometimes too much info can mess with my brain:rolleyes:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That listing stated 30a continuous:confused: I was close(ish) but then am I right in saying there's a 29E7 (ver7) at 8.25a?

This is why I got hacked off with the chinese sellers and sometimes too much info can mess with my brain:rolleyes:
Yes but still only about 2.75a continuous, the 30a isn't a real continuous rating but a spike rating for about 30 secs continuous.
As I and Kirstin found out they were compromised when used with GSM unrestricted, they were hurt and lost a lot of capacity.
O.K with my BBS01 @ < 18amaps.

If looking for battery a true 10a capable cell is best to look for.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Those low discharge Samsung cells drove me to LiPo... :eek::D

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
If looking for battery a true 10a capable cell is best to look for
Yep I think if I stick with that in mind as I am starting with the 17a supplied controller and if need be, which I highly doubt, I could go up an amp or two...

drove me to LiPo... :eek::D
They so get a lot of flack or at least they did when ecigs stated getting far too big - but now I see a lot of Youtube ebike channels using LiPo, so would these come as the Li-ion do in a case or is it DIY?

Reactions: Biga

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
They so get a lot of flack or at least they did when ecigs stated getting far too big - but now I see a lot of Youtube ebike channels using LiPo, so would these come as the Li-ion do in a case or is it DIY?
Lipo's are deff. DIY, no neat cases I'm afraid. Careful monitoring of charge and discharge is needed, but as Nealh did recently, can be made safer with a BMS added. They still have their use I think with very high powered ebikes, 5000 w+, because of their very high discharge rates which Li-ion cannot match. Trying to find the right battery for a build is still quite baffling as you say, the more you look at, the more confusing it becomes.:confused:

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
LiPo has a few inconveniences but hill climbing is not one of them :)

- Charging is a bit of a faf, requires lots of discipline and somewhere safe. I used to charge in the oven (think flameproof box) but an ammunition box is quite popular for charging and storing
- They don't give the number of Wh printed on the wrapper. About 75-80% depending on the quality (just as important as with Li-Ion), high end ones are good for 90+% but cost much more than Li-Ion
- They are heavy and big, you need 1C if you don't want too much sag so that is 15 Ah battery for your typical 15 A controller. At the moment I am using a small 10 Ah nominative battery and it sags 1.5v when making 450+ Watts
- If you shoot them, drive 9 inch nails through them, cut them in half with an axe or chuck them off your 4th floor balcony they tend to explode as numerous Youtube videos will show you. This explosion is usually limited to jets of toxic white smoke and often jets of flame
- They have huge potential for releasing massive amounts of current if you do something silly (many of us have...) and will instantly destroy electrical equipment you have failed to plug in correctly. Wire in fusion spitting plasma sparks everywhere is not fun, trust me :rolleyes:

Other than hill climbing they charge really fast if you have the right charger(s), 20 km range = 35 minutes charge time for my 10 Ah nominative battery. You can charge off the grid quite easily - solar panel, car battery, any 12-18v DC power source.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
the more confusing it becomes
Phew - I am so glad it's not just me that gets a little confused, I don't have much sound technical knowledge at the best of time but then they make a different battery, but it's the same battery with a similar name and number, just another version with slightly altered specs!

ammunition box
Li-Po life; live by the Li-Po die by the Li-Po:eek: I think i'll stick with li-ion - great post though LMAO!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For 10a rated lion cells there are a few good ones to choose from.
Probably best for the money is PF or LG M26 I mentioned.

The LG M range of newer INR cells are their 10a rated ones.
Also from LG are ;
MG1 2850mah.
MH1 3200mah.
MJ1 3450mah.
MG26 2600mah.
MG36 3600mah.

From Sanyo/Panasonic ( Sanyo is parent company).
PF 2900mah.
18650BD 3000mah.
GA 3450mah.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
For 10a rated lion
I think I might bite the bullet and arrange a battery with the HL case from the US and pay the extra for UK VAT and then I can hopefully communicate which cells I require, in all fairness it's not a great deal more cost wise than some of the high spec batteries on Ali or ebay, just with the knowledge that I am getting what I ask for and pay for!

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I'm not so confused these days as I have more of an idea of what I'm looking at, but I understand why a lot of people are. The battery pack is the most important part of your build, so you want the best you can have for your budget, but depending on your build and use, your budget must be realistic. As an example, I find Yose packs really frustrating. They do an OK range, but never the right cells in the right case.

Reactions: PC2017

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I'm not sure you will get free choice of cell with any pack builder, as most seem to stick with 3 or 4 cells they can rely on. Going to the US can work out expensive as they tend to be less flexible with filing out their customs labels.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any battery is fraught with issues is a fault develops as sending it back isn't generally an option for overseas. For Uk Jimmy/BGA & Woosh have a carrier arrangement.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I find Yose packs really frustrating
I believe the actual motor and parts are amazing but like you say the batteries are questionable, but they keep it cheap for a basic 15mph setup which I suppose is their ethos.

not sure you will get free choice of cell with any pack builder
I am aware but they do offer a better choice of cells in the 10a and upwards range.

battery is fraught with issues is a fault develops as sending it back isn't generally an option
This is a fair point and I would normally agree, I am very trusting of these companies, read reviews and check off all the things on my due-diligence list, the first battery I got was from Dillenger, an Australian company and that started to move about inside, I posted a youtube vid as requested by them and they sent me a new battery! + I'll pop it on the Master Card and if it goes pear-shaped I'l let them deal with it... + Jimmy's Shark case just won't fit and I tend to take my battery off a lot, there's a fair few thieving gits about and without a battery when locked up no one sees it as an ebike so a slim line design would be preferred.
Woosh use Panasonic NCR 18650 B would I be right in saying 5a per cell?
Its another option to ponder.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Woosh
The 48V 12AH HL battery kit costs the same as the 36V 15AH HL kit, £369. EDIT battery + rack + charger not motor etc

As quoted from the email I received. There's no emoji for pondering:(

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think I might bite the bullet and arrange a battery with the HL case from the US and pay the extra for UK VAT and then I can hopefully communicate which cells I require, in all fairness it's not a great deal more cost wise than some of the high spec batteries on Ali or ebay, just with the knowledge that I am getting what I ask for and pay for!
Germany is much closer and in the EU so your VAT problem is solved...

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
The Woosh 48V 12AH battery has Samsung "29E" cells according to their hub kit pages.
Their HL 36V 17AH has Panasonic "B" cells and would match very nicely with a 17A controller.
(The "B" cells are rated for ~6.5A (2C) : at 17A the discharge rate is ~1C which is good for a longish battery life).

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Germany is much closer
The only batteries I can find that come from Germany are from Chinese suppliers using Germany as a warehouse... I can't find any actual German companies, maybe googles not helping me out as I am from the UK

The Woosh 48V 12AH battery has Samsung "29E" cells
More confusion, honest that line was quoted from a Woosh email "29e" are no good... I'l look into that - cheers
and yep the panasonic would just work but no room for future upgrades.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Pondering over!!
I did yes - 30q £307 12ah and a panasonic GA for the same(ish) price however they all mention a 20-22amp BMS continuous load so I suppose either way there all similar IMO

EDIT the 35E is 14ah so not the best in cell but a fair price for 20-22amp - Thoughts anyone??

I have already emailed them as I couldn't see any info on UK delivery, granted I wasn't looking that hard, I have little time on my hands since my darling partner snapped her ankle in 2 places and can't do jack:eek: - They don't seem to come with a charger so add another £35 then if they do deliver I expect £25-40 worse case...