Yosepower hub kits.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ok, let's see what yosepower says next.

The reset didn't work. I had several "freezes" today and also on throttle only.

On another note, is someone aware of a thread comparing bafang hub with yosepower hub. The noise and vibration coming from the motor is starting to annoy me a and I'm wondering how big of a difference it would be with a bafgang hub motor instead.
If you have solder modded the shunt are you certain no moulton solder has shorted or splatter/dripped on other parts of the pcb ?
The increase in current will likely be the cause of extra heat within causing to get hotter (esp on full power or PAS 5).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't use the cut-offs and I don't really see a point for a kit with this power. The brakes will easily overpower the motor.

You could buy small cut off switches that you can mount directly on your existing brake handles if you want to use it.
Using cut offs isn't necessary for motor stop as the KT PAS time stop/decay is quite quick and not required if a throttle isn't fitted. The brakes may over power the motor but in a case when a short causes max power you will burn out the controller if you fit a throttle. This is unlikely with PAS but can occur if a throttle is fitted, twice I have had a throttle issue (one was moisture shorting , the other a wire break ), on both occasions the brake cut out prevented the bike rearing and shooting off, instant controller power shut down so no internal damage.

The magnetic cut offs are a pain in the arse, better using the sensored plunger from within the provided levers and using a small back stop for actuation. Why pay out for more parts when they are already at hand. As mentioned just use one cut off two are unnecessary.

Olleman

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2019
If you have solder modded the shunt are you certain no moulton solder has shorted or splatter/dripped on other parts of the pcb ?
The increase in current will likely be the cause of extra heat within causing to get hotter (esp on full power or PAS 5).
Almost 100% certain. I was very thourough doing this and it was also over 6 months ago. I soldered in such a way that excess solder would have dripped outside of the controller instead of onto the pcb. I added solder that gave me 2-3 more AMPS (meassured with AMP meter). The "freezes" I encounter now doesn't seem to have anything to do with PAS or power level used and not temperature either. It happens in 25 degrees sunny weather as well as 6 degrees and drizzle.

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
Using cut offs isn't necessary for motor stop as the KT PAS time stop/decay is quite quick and not required if a throttle isn't fitted. The brakes may over power the motor but in a case when a short causes max power you will burn out the controller if you fit a throttle. This is unlikely with PAS but can occur if a throttle is fitted, twice I have had a throttle issue (one was moisture shorting , the other a wire break ), on both occasions the brake cut out prevented the bike rearing and shooting off, instant controller power shut down so no internal damage.

The magnetic cut offs are a pain in the arse, better using the sensored plunger from within the provided levers and using a small back stop for actuation. Why pay out for more parts when they are already at hand. As mentioned just use one cut off two are unnecessary.
Hey Nealh, thanks for your perspective on it and for providing a workable and cheap solution with regards to using the already provided sensored plunger. I will see if i can take a look and understand how that woudl work.

Thanks again.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
proper research.
Hello there - it is good advice to read this thread from start to finish on a rainy day perhaps - I use hydraulic V-brakes(yes they do make em) on mine with amazing results and I do use brake sensors.

Reactions: Klang180

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hey Nealh, thanks for your perspective on it and for providing a workable and cheap solution with regards to using the already provided sensored plunger. I will see if i can take a look and understand how that woudl work.

Thanks again.
If I remember rightly to remove the cabled sensor complete with julet connector, remove the pin and circlip to remove the lever. The cable entry has a small threaded plastic bezel undo this and slide a long the cable carefully then nip off the bezel with cutters, grease the julet outer with super slippy spread from the fridge and gently push/pull is through the brake housing.

Don't dismantle the plunger to look inside as there is little to see, it is just asimple cicuit braker affair. There are a pair of wires, small fine springs and a metal roller pin. With the plunger pushed in the roller pin is moved away from the wire contacts to form an open circuit and closes it when plunger is released to activate the cut-off. Once the sensor is epoxied in place on the brake body and set/cured, the small right angled stop end needs positioning and epoxying in place so the plunger is in when the lever is in the rest position.

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
Hello there - it is good advice to read this thread from start to finish on a rainy day perhaps - I use hydraulic V-brakes(yes they do make em) on mine with amazing results and I do use brake sensors.
I can see myself doing so at work! Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: PC2017

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
If I remember rightly to remove the cabled sensor complete with julet connector, remove the pin and circlip to remove the lever. The cable entry has a small threaded plastic bezel undo this and slide a long the cable carefully then nip off the bezel with cutters, grease the julet outer with super slippy spread from the fridge and gently push/pull is through the brake housing.

Don't dismantle the plunger to look inside as there is little to see, it is just asimple cicuit braker affair. There are a pair of wires, small fine springs and a metal roller pin. With the plunger pushed in the roller pin is moved away from the wire contacts to form an open circuit and closes it when plunger is released to activate the cut-off. Once the sensor is epoxied in place on the brake body and set/cured, the small right angled stop end needs positioning and epoxying in place so the plunger is in when the lever is in the rest position.
Thanks neal I'll go through these instructions carefully and painstakingly when I'm more rested and hopefully I'll get it. Good thing they have me two as at least all is not lost if I make a mistake.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You don't need brake sensors with the Yose Power kit, so forget about them. If when riding your bike some time in the future, you feel that you wish you had brake sensors, that's the time to figure out what to do, but I doubt that that time will come.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They have their uses if a throttle is fitted and a fault develops.

Reactions: PC2017

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Do you wear a crash helmet when you go out for a walk in case something drops on your head?

I broke a throttle once, so it went to permanent half-throttle. I was able to ride home by controlling the motor with the brake switches. When I was sitting on the beach at Lulworth Cove, a rock fell off the cliff and hit me on the head. It could have killed me.

I don't have brake switches on my present bike, nor does any Bosch bike, nor any STEPS, nor Yamaha, nor Brose, nor Panasonic. Some Bosch bikes have lurched forward with power as soon as they were switched on.

Some throttles are easier to break than others.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
My Yose throttle has become sticky a few times as its fitted next to the handgrip (on left). The rubbery handgrip rides up higher on the handlebars and jams the throttle slightly, as the end is worn and I have occasionally balances the bike against wall with handlebars. So going by Murphy's Law, ("Anything that can go wrong will go wrong" ), I agree that its better to have brake cut-offs.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I agree that its better to have brake cut-offs.
I concur - I can not count the times the many throttles I have had have stuck and always on PAS 5 - I guess in the end it comes down to personal preference and experience, those new to ebikes might find cut offs a good idea, I know i did on my first ride nearly running a red light because of an over sensitive PAS, but in time, as I mentioned before worse case scenario for me I suppose I could hit the battery off switch if need be, however I tend to use my cut offs as a clutch, when in PAS 5 and knowing the git in front off me might make me stop I use the brake to cut the motor just to change gear.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Many throttles have a special spacer/washer type thing that stops anything interfering with its operation to make it stiff. Nearly all DIYers don't notice it or understand what it's for so they don't install it. Do you guys with stiff throttles have it installed? It's like a ring with castellations/dogs that slot into the throttle.

You can see it here.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Many throttles have a special spacer/washer type thing that stops anything interfering with its operation to make it stiff. Nearly all DIYers don't notice it or understand what it's for so they don't install it. Do you guys with stiff throttles have it installed? It's like a ring with castellations/dogs that slot into the throttle.

You can see it here.
Hi. I took a close look at throttle (FT21X). It has that 3 castled bits protruding about 1 mm spacing but the flexible tapered handgrip end seems to ride up over them and get wedged under the throttle moving part. I might look for a stiff washer here to fit between handgrip and throttle to stop this.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

I got this one and it came a bit stiff and over time would tighten up, but a bit of internal greasing and loosening an internal screw it's been fine since. On the throttle above, yes I always installed all the parts that came with it, but I think is was just wear and water ingress that caused most of my sticking oh and maybe just maybe the fact I had mine on the wrong side of the handle bar so it became a push down motion instead of a thumb up motion and the amount of time, in the early days I go it wedged was amazing, but I was new to all things ebiking and you live and learn the most I do now is leave my thumb on the throttle and get off the bike, its only happen once and I think I had low blood glucose well thats my excuse anyway!

Last edited:

Olleman

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2019
Regarding my problem with "freezes". Yosepower seems to believe that it's the controller and is sending me a new one. It's gonna be interesting to find out where the fault lies...

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
It's gonna be interesting
The only time I remember my LCD freezing was after getting caught in a heavy rain storm, so I dried it out using the old rice method, it work fine after that, I think most of the water got in at the switches... I was going to suggest a new controller if not just to eliminate that as a problem source... I also briefly read above someone talking about getting annoyed with the vibration, but since I changed controller to that after market dolphin case controller mount my main problem disappeared and the vibration is there but only for a few seconds and is hardly noticeable anymore.... I have a YOSE 250 front in black and it uses the same controller as the 350w I have a funny feeling that the controller albeit works with the 350w it was not designed for the 350w. I never had one vibration or general issue with the 250w.

Keep us posted Olleman, PS try the NEW controller before you add a shunt lol!

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk

I got this one and it came a bit stiff and over time would tighten up, but a bit of internal greasing and loosening an internal screw it's been fine since. On the throttle above, yes I always installed all the parts that came with it, but I think is was just wear and water ingress that caused most of my sticking oh and maybe just maybe the fact I had mine on the wrong side of the handle bar so it became a push down motion instead of a thumb up motion and the amount of time, in the early days I go it wedged was amazing, but I was new to all things ebiking and you live and learn the most I do now is leave my thumb on the throttle and get off the bike, its only happen once and I think I had low blood glucose well thats my excuse anyway!
100% agree. A smear of silicon grease essential on the 108x moving parts.

The 108x is the only (non twistgrip) throttle I’ve found with any degree of water proofing

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe