Yosepower hub kits.

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
Any opinions on this 250W Yose Power rear hub conversion kit? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393411923286

I ordered it then cancelled my order because I noticed the integrated throttle/display. I didn't want to have to hold the throttle open all the time. Maybe I could have fitted a grub screw? Or would it be simple to replace the throttle with one of those basic button controls with LED lights to display the chosen power level? The seller has cancelled the order and initiated a refund, so a big relief there.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Any opinions on this 250W Yose Power rear hub conversion kit? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393411923286

I ordered it then cancelled my order because I noticed the integrated throttle/display. I didn't want to have to hold the throttle open all the time. Maybe I could have fitted a grub screw? Or would it be simple to replace the throttle with one of those basic button controls with LED lights to display the chosen power level? The seller has cancelled the order and initiated a refund, so a big relief there.
It has got PAS / sensor included, so why would you have to hold the throttle open ALL the time???

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon

That's not a YosePower kit, it's a cheaper version with different controller with only one fixed level of PAS and cheap throttle/display. This is their kit with LCD display and 5 level PAS.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
That's not a YosePower kit, it's a cheaper version with different controller with only one fixed level of PAS and cheap throttle/display. This is their kit with LCD display and 5 level PAS.
Have that kit on my winter hack. Upgraded the controller / display to KT, and running on 48v.
Great reliable combo for the Cornish hills

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
Thanks for the clarification. Glad I was able to cancel. I am trying to stay legal with a 250W motor. Find it odd they don't list any such motors when the warehouse is in Germany which has the same legal requirement.

Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Find it odd they don't list any such motors when the warehouse is in Germany which has the same legal requirement.
Yes, I agree it's odd. They've been that way for at least 3 years.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I am trying to stay legal with a 250W motor. Find it odd they don't list any such motors when the warehouse is in Germany which has the same legal requirement.
Why worry.... We won't tell!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for the clarification. Glad I was able to cancel. I am trying to stay legal with a 250W motor. Find it odd they don't list any such motors when the warehouse is in Germany which has the same legal requirement.
For 250w buy an Aikema 100cst and a KT controller kit from topbikekit or the similar set up from greenbikekit. The akm100cst is good for up to 20a max @48v.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Yosepower do a 250w front kit. I am familiar with the older 28/700c (2019) kt/lcd3 version. It had a low 210 rpm front motor and was designed for 25km/15mph. ( The 350w rear was advertised as 280rpm and 32km/20 mph)
Anyhow, it seems to be a very reliable if slow motor. Its fitted to strong steel front forks. When battery is fully charged, it seems lively with maximum power at about 22km/hr and tapers down from there to about 28 km/hr if unrestricted. However, towards the middle of a journey, at about half ways through the battery range (e.g 36/7 volts), this has dropped, with the bike feeling sluggish and with max power at about 20km/hr and very little power at 25 km/hr. I note the newer version has a different controller and lcd.

Last edited:

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Yosepower do a 250w front kit. I am familiar with the older 28/700c (2019) kt/lcd3 version. It had a low 210 rpm front motor and was designed for 25km/15mph. ( The 350w rear was advertised as 280rpm and 32km/20 mph)
Anyhow, it seems to be a very reliable if slow motor. Its fitted to strong steel front forks. When battery is fully charged, it seems lively with maximum power at about 22km/hr and tapers down from there to about 28 km/hr if unrestricted. However, towards the middle of a journey, at about half ways through the battery range (e.g 36/7 volts), this has dropped, with the bike feeling sluggish and with max power at about 20km/hr and very little power at 25 km/hr.
Yes, this! I have the same kit, and exactly the same experience. I have bought a buck converter, with the intention of boosting the battery voltage to 44V or so, to get a little more speed (and torque), but haven't got round to trying it yet...

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I have bought a buck converter, with the intention of boosting the battery voltage to 44V or so...
Shouldn't be a problem with the motor, but make sure the controller is up to the higher voltage.

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Shouldn't be a problem with the motor, but make sure the controller is up to the higher voltage.
Yes, thanks. I'm working on the assumption that the controller will be OK because a freshly-charged 36V battery can read about 44V anyway...

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
For 250w buy an Aikema 100cst and a KT controller kit from topbikekit or the similar set up from greenbikekit. The akm100cst is good for up to 20a max @48v.
Thanks, I'll take a look. Just picked up my donor bike this weekend. I need to check the dropout spacing is 135mm first.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Yes, this! I have the same kit, and exactly the same experience
Mine is similar in black, to say it's done 10,000 miles mostly on suspension forks is still a surprise albeit the forks have seen better days. I have the YOSE 36v front black version and I have covered serval of those miles with a 48v battery, it still gets a little sluggish dropping 2mph at 47v but still holds its own in head wind. Best thing I ever did was give her a 48v battery and a 14a controller - I wholesomely recommend it anyone.

Reactions: dwvl

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, thanks. I'm working on the assumption that the controller will be OK because a freshly-charged 36V battery can read about 44V anyway...
42v not 44v , if you get 44v reading for a 36v battery then your meter is way out.

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
42v not 44v , if you get 44v reading for a 36v battery then your meter is way out.
My mistake - thanks. Maybe I'll set the buck converter to 42V, or I might risk a bit higher - the capacitors in the 36V controller are probably 50V max rated...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes most are 50v the dual ones are 63v rated and some older 36v controllers have had 63v caps.

Reactions: dwvl

Olleman

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2019
Finally my KT LCD3 display or the control buttons have failed. I rode in heavy rain the other day and now I have a hard time using middle and bottom buttons resulting in the bike being almost unusable (since I've managed to hit "0" assist a couple of times). I'm up to 10 000km on this kit now so I guess I can't really complain.

However, I'm wondering if I should just buy a new KT LCD3 display or if I should buy the newer Lishui controller and that display instead. My thinking is that perhaps that controller and display is a bit of an upgrade and also better weather protected. Does anyone have any advice for me on this?

,Olle

Reactions: PC2017

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With the KT, one doesn't have to use an lcd3. KT make about a dozen displays from lcd1 & 2 basic models right up to lcd12 last time I looked. Any one of those displays are compatible with KT controller.

Last edited:

Olleman

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2019
With the KT, one doesn't have to use an lcd3. KT make about a dozen displays from lcd1 & 2 basic models right up to lcd12 last time I looked. Any one of those displays is compatible with KT controller.
Good advice, thanks!