Yosepower hub kits.

Joeyp1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 21, 2019
Thank you for the detailed reply, much appreciated. I shall report back once installed with any vibration issues.

tunznath

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2019
Hi all, just received my Yosepower kit, and the only thing that says Yosepower was the box of tools, everything that should have been branded yosepower is branded SEASON.??

The controller that came with the kit is
KT36ZWSRT-EPO1
maximum current 15+- 1A
Rated voltage DC36V speed set Hall Sensor
Rated current 7A
Brake input low level
Low voltage protection DC30 +- 5V

IT MEASURES 85 x 52x 32mm, was suprised it was this small!

tunznath

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2019
I understand that they are resellers, but on the lcd it says season, on the bag it says season, but on pics here the lcd have yosepower logo on them?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
May be it's a christamas edition kit, any how don't worry as the lcd and controller are Kuenteng . Any branding is really immaterial.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks ok to me and actually looks better then the Yose yellow/green.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It looks like a possible rebrand occurring of it's kit from the main company name.
A bit like Bafang who use the 8Fun branding.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
It looks like a possible rebrand occurring of it's kit from the main company name.
A bit like Bafang who use the 8Fun branding.
I think 'Ba' also translates ( from Chinese to English) to the number 8.
I think 8fun is a rough translation of Bafang or a play on pronounciation (8fang......8fun). One on-line dictionary translates Ba Fang to 'the eight points of the compass'/ all directions.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: danielrlee

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think 'Ba' also translates ( from Chinese to English) to the number 8.
I think 8fun is a rough translation of Bafang or a play on pronounciation (8fang......8fun). One on-line dictionary translates Ba Fang to 'the eight points of the compass'/ all directions.
Correct. A guy from Bafang explained the origin of the name years ago, but I can't remember why it was 8Fun. I think there's something lost in the meaning of the translation, like when Honda had a label on the tank of all their motorbikes, "Preserve nature, always wear a safety helmet".

Joeyp1

Nov 21, 2019
First day out today on the yose power. I tried to keep the build minimalist, battery hidden behind then panniers and I put the controller behind the seatpost.

Had to mod the PAS a little to get it to fit to my FSA cranks, but otherwise an easy install.

Good performance overall, pulls well up the hills. I notice the power drops off slowly over 20k/hr until about 32k/hr by which point its only about 50w.

What is this a function of? The hub? The controller? Is there anyway I can still have higher power at higher speeds?

Thanks

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
First day out today on the yose power. I tried to keep the build minimalist, battery hidden behind then panniers and I put the controller behind the seatpost.

Had to mod the PAS a little to get it to fit to my FSA cranks, but otherwise an easy install.

Good performance overall, pulls well up the hills. I notice the power drops off slowly over 20k/hr until about 32k/hr by which point its only about 50w.

What is this a function of? The hub? The controller? Is there anyway I can still have higher power at higher speeds?

Thanks
The motor works as a generator as soon as it starts to turn. At zero rpm, the whole battery voltage is available to push current through the motor, but the current is pegged st 15a by the controller. Without the controller, the current would be massive, and it would burn out the motor. When the motor is at max speed, it generates 36v in the opposite direction to the battery voltage, so there is no net voltage, no current can flow, and you get no power. Somewhere around 20km/h, the net voltage is only enough to push 15 amps through the motor. Above that speed the net voltage continues to reduce so the current ramps down as the speed goes up. The generated voltage is called the back electro motive force (back emf).

This is why it's not detrimental to a motor to release the 15 mph speed limit. The faster it spins, the less power it consumes and makes.

Power = current x voltage. The current goes down as the speed goes up, so the power goes down with it.

Joeyp1

Nov 21, 2019
The motor works as a generator as soon as it starts to turn. At zero rpm, the whole battery voltage is available to push current through the motor, but the current is pegged st 15a by the controller. Without the controller, the current would be massive, and it would burn out the motor. When the motor is at max speed, it generates 36v in the opposite direction to the battery voltage, so there is no net voltage, no current can flow, and you get no power. Somewhere around 20km/h, the net voltage is only enough to push 15 amps through the motor. Above that speed the net voltage continues to reduce so the current ramps down as the speed goes up. The generated voltage is called the back electro motive force (back emf).

This is why it's not detrimental to a motor to release the 15 mph speed limit. The faster it spins, the less power it consumes and makes.

Power = current x voltage. The current goes down as the speed goes up, so the power goes down with it.
Brilliant, excellent answer.

I have the 17a controller, looking back at this thread, It appears to be 36/48v compatible. I could get a 48v to increase top speed?

I'm looking at getting this:

Any thoughts on this battery much appreciated

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You get a 33% increase in speed, torque and power when you go up from 36v to 48v. The downside is a slight loss of efficiency at low speed, so in some circumstances you can get some overheating, like when really struggling up a steep hill, though the extra power helps keep your speed up, which keeps the efficiency high.

Hub motors have good efficiency above around 60% of max rpm. As a general rule, you shouldn't let a motor spend time running with full power at less than 50% of its max rpm. The max rpm is proportional to battery voltage, which is why you need to choose your motor and battery voltage carefully.

The Yosepower motor can run OK at 48v provided you don't have extreme circumstances that would cause it to struggle.

That battery looks OK. The fixing points on Hailing cases are at the wrong end, so you often have to add at least one extra rivnut to your frame to hold it.

Joeyp1

Nov 21, 2019
I'm not sure that the Yose Power controller is 48v compatable. Double check this, or you will kill it. What does it say on the label?
You're right! Don't know why i thought that. Any recommendations on a 48v controller that I can just plug and play? I don't want to mess about soldering new connectors.