Bafamg mid drive - where to buy

powerfail

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2023
Is this a good price for a bafang bbs02b 48v 750w

It's from the Bafang erider store that is linked on the Bafang main website.

I'm hoping to buy any bafang mid drive kit for the lowest price possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Don't think you'll get much cheaper than that - my BBS02B with 48V20Ah battery and P850C was £600 off ebay - I would check AliExpress and topbikekit as well

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
The ali express seller topbikekit has been recommended by members in here as selling what they advertise..

I understand where your coming from but when considering the cheapest kits, your considering the cheapest batteries in all likelyhood. imho the battery is the most valuable aspect of any ebike kit and its worth investing in quality.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Buying something only because it is cheap is a false economy. Take into consideration warranty and return policy.

Last edited:

powerfail

Oct 20, 2023
Buying something only because it is cheap is a false economy. Take into consideration warranty and return policy.

I've seen PSWPower have an ebay store.

I'm tempted by this kit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255123631335?hash=item3b668dace7:g:6B8AAOSw7PljbJT7

Does anyone know if this battery is a good safe option, mostly concerned about potential fires:

HAILONG-PLUS 36V 20AH Specification: (3A charger)
4P10S Li-ion 5Ah 21700 40pcs battery cells (the interior battery is SAMSUNG INR21700-50E 21700 Li-ion battery)

Additionally, can anyone recommend a good display? I'm looking at SW102 currently based on price/looks. Other choices are P850C, P750C, C965A, DPC18 and 860C.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery will be fine as they do use genuine cells if stated , the 50e is a good medium powered current draw cell. At 4p the cells can have a max 40a rating but typically one should only use /draw 60% of the rated current draw for life longevity. The cells are 10a rated so are good for 24/25a continuous current draw.

This obsession with some regarding battery fires is mostly nonsense , a lot driven by news of car fires and the odd posting of dodgy lash up ebike /motorcycle bodges where inappropriate practices are used.
PSWpower stuff is safe and battery, charger and motor /controller type will be suitable and all paired well

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
SW102 is small & neat, it is similar to the KT lcd4 . they can be a little impractcial and fiddly to use esp if wearing gloves. For the other displays I can't say as my past experience with the BBS has led me to the tsdz2 which I much prefer esp the TS drive system.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Aren't there extra costs importing from Germany? Are warranty repairs German? It cost me £20 and a long wait to post the controller I'd destroyed to China, it was replaced under warranty.

I like the DPC18, haven't tried any others. Bright easily readable diaplay, has a USB port if you want to risk charging a phone extremely slowly (I don't - I use a 2A powerbank for that). All settings allowable by the controller for change by the display are available, which might not be the case for small displays? Best read the manual first, for whichever display you're interested in buying.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

powerfail

Oct 20, 2023
Aren't there extra costs importing from Germany? Are warranty repairs German? It cost me £20 and a long wait to post the controller I'd destroyed to China, it was replaced under warranty.

I like the DPC18, haven't tried any others. Bright easily readable diaplay, has a USB port if you want to risk charging a phone extremely slowly (I don't - I use a 2A powerbank for that). All settings allowable by the controller for change by the display are available, which might not be the case for small displays? Best read the manual first, for whichever display you're interested in buying.
I think you are correct actually. I think I would be liable to pay 20% VAT in top of the initial cost bringing it to £637.20. Is there any saving to be made from purchasing from AliExpress/eBay/Amazon or is it better to just purchase from woosh or eclipse?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think you are correct actually. I think I would be liable to pay 20% VAT in top of the initial cost bringing it to £637.20. Is there any saving to be made from purchasing from AliExpress/eBay/Amazon or is it better to just purchase from woosh or eclipse?
I bought my 36V BBS01B kit with DPC18 and 19.2Ah from Amazon. The seller however was based in China. I asked the seller a zillion questions about pretty much everything including extra charges, but the price quoted was the total price I paid, and it was shipped from Germany via UPS. Wasn't cheap. A bit nerve-wracking because it was an Amazon Marketplace purchase, not sold by Amazon themselves - Amazon is easy about refunds when they sell an item themselves, in my experience. Good seller, knew his technical stuff too. He sent me a free additional chainwheel (52T, because the one provided with the kit was too slow) and a free controller under warranty, after I'd killed the kit controller attempting to badly solder some cheap ebay junk to it, which was nice of him.

Reading this forum, it seems some Chinese motor sellers avoid extra charges somehow. I bought a new controller from greenbike kit, with no extra charges - I have no idea if they do the same trick with motors and conversion kits.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
When I got my BBS02 kit (from a Chinese seller on eBay) it arrived in 2 shipments, one from the UK with everything in, including battery and then a second from Poland that had extra zip ties in it, there was no extra duty on either shipment (probably Brexit chaos) but the seller did say there may be duty on the one from Poland and I could choose not to pay that one ?

powerfail

Oct 20, 2023
Greenergy on Aliexpress inform me that they can ship from the UK so there will be no customs or vat to pay. This seems to be a good option only I am concerned about the quality of the battery?

Is a cheap battery from AliExpress a bad idea?

They can sell me the bbs01b kit with a 17.4Ah battery for £476

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It is for a 20A capable BBS01B - but those using cheap noname Chinese celled battery packs with 7A hub motor controllers on cheap ebikes crap at hills, would probably be fine, if they don't get heart attacks pushing their ebike up hills.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Greenergy on Aliexpress inform me that they can ship from the UK so there will be no customs or vat to pay. This seems to be a good option only I am concerned about the quality of the battery?

They can sell me the bbs01b kit with a 17.4Ah battery for £476
I got my kit including battery from Greenergy (48v 20ah ) It seems fine so far, I have been checking the voltage after rides and not got anywhere close to using half that capacity. It was advertised as Hailong with Samsung cells - maybe just double check with them ? They seemed a legit suppler, got my G020 rear hub kit from them via AliExpress

powerfail

Oct 20, 2023
I got my kit including battery from Greenergy (48v 20ah ) It seems fine so far, I have been checking the voltage after rides and not got anywhere close to using half that capacity. It was advertised as Hailong with Samsung cells - maybe just double check with them ? They seemed a legit suppler, got my G020 rear hub kit from them via AliExpress
£476 for the kit 17.4Ah Chinese cells
Or
£568 for the kit with 21Ah LG cells

Is it worth paying extra here. I've also got no idea if the BMS is any good

powerfail

Oct 20, 2023
It is for a 20A capable BBS01B - but those using cheap noname Chinese celled battery packs with 7A hub motor controllers on cheap ebikes crap at hills, would probably be fine, if they don't get heart attacks pushing their ebike up hills.
It says the motor controller is rated to 15A

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It says the motor controller is rated to 15A
I wouldn't buy a cheap noname celled Chinese battery pack to use with a 15A BBS01B! I paid extra for one with LG MH1 cells, which @Nealh reliably informed me is capable of 25A continuous. Years later it's still brilliant, works great - my bike vanquishes hills, drags heavy wheeled objects around.

If you get the programming cable, you can limit the controller to 7A.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
£568 for the kit with 21Ah LG cells
Which LG cells specifically? The forum battery boffins will be able to advise. That's one question I didn't know to ask back then... I had to open the battery to find out over a year later.

If the battery fails, how do warranty repairs work? Before the sale my Chinese seller told me he had "Diagnosticand repair facilities in Europe", but after the sale it turned out everything had to be posted to China.