Batteries Charging Routine

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No. I always charge my battery until the LED on the charger goes green for about 5 to 10 minutes. If I check the voltage of the battery after disconnecting the charger, I usually read 41.3V to 41.5V.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I dont see that knowing the apparent amount of charge lost when a battery is charged to 42V and then discharged to 41V is of much value, its not the same as charging to 41V and then discharging from there and thus measuring the batteries real actual capacity.

Here is the discharge plots with a load of 16.7ohm, so circa 2Amps, of my 21700 10S1P; first from a full charged battery (to 42V). Shown is volts, Ahr drawn, minutes;

Rest volts 41.7.
41V, 0.01Ahr,0min
40V, 0.384A,10min
39V,1.16Ahr,31min
38V,1.63Ahr,44min
37V,2.25Ahr, 62min
36V,2.72Ahr,75min
35V,3.23Ahr,91min
34V,3.7Ahr,105min
33V,3.97Ahr,114min
32V,4.2Ahr,122min
31V,4.41Ahr,129min
30V,4.59Ahr,135min

And now the same discharge when the battery charge had been stopped at 41V;

Rest volts 40.4V
40V,0Ahr,0min
39V, 0.295Ahr,8min
38V,0.748Ahr,20min
37V,1.26Ahr,35min
36V,1.75Ahr,50min
35V,2.25Ahr,64min
34V,2.72Ahr,79min
33V,2.97Ahr,87min
32V,3.18Ahr,94min
31V,3.37Ahr,100min
30V,3.53Ahr,106min

So the 'capacity' used from 42V full charge till the battery dropped to 41V was only 0.01Ahr, or circa 0.2% of the overall capacity, so not much information there.

But the practical test, simulating what a user might do, as in charging to 41V and then stopping charge, shows a capacity loss of 23%.

Clearly the battery is aquiring a far bit of capacity in the last 1V of charge to 42V.

For eBike batteries, has anyone charged them to 41V, stopped the charge, and then measured the battery capacity ?
can someone figure out why Stuartsproject got only 106 minutes in discharging time when charging to 41V while he got 135 minutes on the same rig when charging to 42V?

I can't think of any reason.

His data:
Rest volts 41.7.
41V, 0.01Ahr,0min
40V, 0.384A,10min

On the face of it, between 41V and 40V his battery gives 10 minutes, 7.4%, roughly in line of expectation but why such a discrepancy between two charging methods?

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
can someone figure out why Stuartsproject got only 106 minutes in discharging time when charging to 41V while he got 135 minutes on the same rig when charging to 42V?

I can't think of any reason.

His data:
Rest volts 41.7.
41V, 0.01Ahr,0min
40V, 0.384A,10min

On the face of it, between 41V and 40V his battery gives 10 minutes, 7.4%, roughly in line of expectation but why such a discrepancy between two charging methods?
There are so many noise factors. This is what I was talking about in the other thread. You can't trust any measurements or test results unless you have proven the repeatability and reproducibility of the measurement method. A general clue to something wrong with it is when the results are inexplicably anomalous or implausible.

• Agree
Reactions: Bikes4two and Woosh

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
For eBike batteries, has anyone charged them to 41V, stopped the charge, and then measured the battery capacity ?
That can give very unpredictable results. The battery voltage will almost certainly start to fall unless the charge current is very small. There is a difference between (1)setting the charger to 4.1 volt/cell and (2)interrupting the 4.2v charger at 4.1v/cell. In the former case, the charger raises the voltage under limited constant current and then exposes the cells to 4.1 volt/cell (constant voltage) until the charge current tapers down. This saturates the cells to 4.1 v.
In the latter case, the cells wont even be at 4.1 volts EMF due to battery internal resistance and they wont be exposed to the constant voltage and certainly wont be saturated at 4.1 v.
I have tried to explain this by drawing in green lines in the drawing below. In this rather extreme example to illustrate the problem of a quick charging setup, interrupting the 4.2 charger at 4.1 volts only gives 60% charge. (The severity is high because the charge rate is high, = 1C)
If a 4.1 cell charger was used in this case instead of interrupting the 4.2 charger, the voltage slope (red line)would start to plateau at 4.1v instead of 4.2 and the plateau constant voltage/floating and saturation would take place without interruption at this 4.1 voltage.
I hope this explains. (Its the only diagram I could quickly find)

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Rebalancing cells - when does it happen? During charging process (while charging light is still red) or after (while charging light is already green)?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Rebalancing cells - when does it happen? During charging process (while charging light is still red) or after (while charging light is already green)?
that depends on the BMS in your battery. Passive balancers use bleed resistors and start balancing when your battery is mostly full.
Modern BMSes have active balancers that use a series of switches to shunt the charge from the cells with most charge to more depleted cells when the battery is not being used. It's rare that you have to do anything yourself.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It's rare that you have to do anything yourself.
I am trying to establish when to finish process of charging battery. I wish it was so simple as red light - charging, green light - charging is finished.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wish it was so simple as red light - charging, green light - charging is finished.
you have already got it with your charger. There is not much justification not to use it in the recommended way. Years ago, BMSes and chargers were not very good so people had to look for ways to improve the process but those precautions and workarounds are no longer necessary. Things like switch on the mains before connecting the charger to the battery, open the charger and adjust the output voltage, buy special charger to revive completely flat batteries etc. are no longer needed. Chargers have current limiter, BMS has overcharging protection, passive balancing makes way for active balancing etc. My bag battery for example is as quiet as a mouse when you plug in the charger or the controller.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I do understand that just stopping the charge at 41V does not complete the charge in the sense that the constant voltage part of the charge, where the current tails off to zero is missing. The balancing, if needed, is also missing.

With the battery I was testing, 24% of the total charge in occurs from 41V to 42V.

And once the constant voltage charge starts (at 41.8V) there is 7% of the total charge in added, so if you do just stop the chage at a particular voltage, your missing out on this amout of charge.

So it appears that quite a bit of charge is added to the battery between 41V and 42V and its a lot more than just a couple of percent.

Could be time to power up my adjustable voltage and current battery charger.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
you have already got it with your charger.
...which is a very simple black brick with only one small red/green light. Manufacturer recommends to leave battery on charge for 24 hours. It is much longer than simple process of charging. I was told it is to rebalance cells, so rebalancing must take place after battery is fully charged.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Manufacturer recommends to leave battery on charge for 24 hours. It is much longer than simple process of charging.
that's not necessary, especially if you have a recent battery and charger.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
that's not necessary, especially if you have a recent battery and charger.
Bike is 6 months old.
There must be a reason why manufacturer asks for 24h charging time. I just don't quite see one.
To tell the truth I didn't charge battery for so long... I chickened out :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There must be a reason why manufacturer asks for 24h charging time.
you may need to do that just once, after a long period of storage.
That will bring your battery to a known state (100% charged).

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I do understand that just stopping the charge at 41V does not complete the charge in the sense that the constant voltage part of the charge, where the current tails off to zero is missing. The balancing, if needed, is also missing.

With the battery I was testing, 24% of the total charge in occurs from 41V to 42V.

And once the constant voltage charge starts (at 41.8V) there is 7% of the total charge in added, so if you do just stop the chage at a particular voltage, your missing out on this amout of charge.

So it appears that quite a bit of charge is added to the battery between 41V and 42V and its a lot more than just a couple of percent.

Could be time to power up my adjustable voltage and current battery charger.
Stuart, try this experiment .
1. Charge your battery to 4.1v and immediately disconnect charger and immediately record the voltage. Wait 1 hour without turning on bike and record the voltage again.
2.Go for a spin on your bike and run down your battery. Enjoy.
3.Charge your battery fully to 4.2 v. Make sure charger green light comes on. Disconnect charger and record the voltage immediately. Record your voltage again 1 hour later. Make sure that bike is not turned on during this period.

Report back with the 4 voltage readings.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Yes, it is not a recommendation for routine charging. Just few 24h charges upon receiving battery and once every few months.

Can you elaborate what happens during so long charging process? I was under impression BMS should terminate charging process once battery is fully charged.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
24 HOURS?!?!? I'd only do that with the battery charging on a long handled shovel sitting next to an open window. Also arm length welder's gloves, welding mask, fireproof overalls and temperature activated siren on the battery.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
24 HOURS?!?!? I'd only do that with the battery charging on a long handled shovel sitting next to an open window. Also arm length welder's gloves, welding mask, fireproof overalls and temperature activated siren on the battery.
Not a meagre welding mask, use one of these;

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can you elaborate what happens during so long charging process? I was under impression BMS should terminate charging process once battery is fully charged.
It does, but balancing can still mean that any cells below the optimum charge level can be topped up from those fully charged. Doing that can result in the mean charge being slightly below optimum and the charge recommencing with the red light coming back on to top up that slight shortfall.

Hence that extra charge time on rare occasions to allow this to happen.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Advertisers