Bosch motor failure

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Can you over tighten it with only a short 8mm allen key? My torque wrench goes only to 25Nm and the bolt is specced to ~60Nm, which is a lot. Need to buy another tool then...

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you over tighten it with only a short 8mm allen key? My torque wrench goes only to 25Nm and the bolt is specced to ~60Nm, which is a lot. Need to buy another tool then...
Based on the evidence you've presented, I would say probably yes. You can't solve a creaking ISIS crank by tightening because it's not tapered. All you do when you tighten the bolt is force the crank arm over its stop into the motor.

Maybe there's other problems too, like the crank arm being too thick. Whatever the cause, you can see that the crank arm has made contact with that washer thing by the bearing, which it shouldn't be able to reach. The washer can't move outwards, so one would assume that the crank arm went inwards. the only force pushing it that way is from the bolt.

Reactions: Sherman

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Maybe there's other problems too, like the crank arm being too thick. Whatever the cause, you can see that the crank arm has made contact with that washer thing by the bearing, which it shouldn't be able to reach. The washer can't move outwards, so one would assume that the crank arm went inwards. the only force pushing it that way is from the bolt.
Yes, apparently Bosch told my dealer that it there was an issue with KTM installation and KTM sent my dealer replacement motor and cranks. I got the motor couple of weeks ago and changed it. Works fine now. I put a little bit of blue Loctite and less torque to the bolt. So far so good :)

And I really have to shout out for my German dealer and KTM. My dealer sent me the new motor and return shipping label for the old one. I did have to do the work by myself, but it's easy if you have the tools.

Thanks for your help and comments!

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Almost exactly at 3000 km my 2nd gen motor in KTM Macina Freeze crapped out. An audible creak had developed during last few months but I could not locate where it came from. Then I noticed the left crank arm is loose. After I tightened it, it would not rotate properly. I removed the crank and found out there's a washer or lockring under the crank that was in pieces. It had also shredded the crank arm. I could not find that particular part in Bosch service manual. I asked my dealer and they asked Bosch. Bosch told it's KTM problem (wrong assembly or something). KTM will send a new motor which I will receive next week.

Very happy with my dealer and KTM sorting this out, but a bit worried about the bike. What if this happens again after the warranty is out? Shell out 600e for replacement motor?
Hi Sherman, I am about to buy my first ebike,and I'm considering the KTM Freeze. I wonder if you can tell me what you think of the bike? Is it a good purchase?

Also does your have 4.0" tyres, or is it the larger model?

Thanks. Graham

Hi Sherman, I am about to buy my first ebike,and I'm considering the KTM Freeze. I wonder if you can tell me what you think of the bike? Is it a good purchase?

Also does your have 4.0" tyres, or is it the larger model?

Thanks. Graham
Sherman has the older model, which has now totally sold out.

The 2017 model is now in stock with us and shipping to dealers. Our demo one arrived yesterday and we can't wait to take it out for a play.

The 2017 model comes with the 4" tyres.

https://www.facebook.com/KtmBikeUK/posts/687697208058976

Reactions: EddiePJ

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Thanks fo the info. That's a shame about the older model, as I think it had the specs I wanted and was £500+ cheapere than the 2017.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Were fat bikes originaly designed for use on snow and sand,I`ve seen a few non motorised on formby beach nearby and they hardly leave a mark from the tyres probably because of the width having a massive footprint.

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Hi KTM......I don't suppose you have any demo models a little closer to the West Country than Yorkshire?
Our demo one is to take to events, give to press etc etc, so not something that would be an option for you anyway. If you're looking for a KTM to try you could do a lot worse than speak to

OnBike.
Address: 52-53 Upper Tything, Worcester WR1 1JY
Phone: 01905 611774

However I don't think they have a Freeze in stock (yet)

Just eBikes have had a couple recently so they might have stock in.
Midlands
261 Hinckley Rd.
Leicester
LE3 0TH
0116 3666 980

Hopefully they'll be able to help.

Rich_uk

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2018
West Midlands
I noticed today that I have a kind of grinding/grating feeling/noise coming from the crank on my Cube, I noticed it when I tried riding the bike with the assistance off, it also felt like there was some resistance. I can't feel any resistance with any level of assistance on, but I can now feel the grinding/grating slightly with assistance on now that I know it's there.

Does this mean it's broken?

If it is broken; I bought the bike used but it's still under warranty, can I claim on this or does the original buyer need to make the claim?

It was bought from Evans, does it need to go back to an Evans shop or can it go to any ebike shop that deals with Bosch?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
most uk dealers will refuse warranty on a 2nd hand bike not bought direct so you will be wasting ur time with evens.

dealers can ship the motor back if under the 2 year warranty but it is up to them if they offer this as above most will say no if it was not bought direct from them and if they will do it then there will be a postage charge i guess.

if there is no play in the right side bearing and the seal is in place and been greased then there is not much you can do if it also is not showing any error codes.

you could take it to a dealer for a report but will cost 30-50 quid.

also check the front lock ring and make sure it is tight as mine does come loose now and again and feels like the motor was grinding.

• Informative
Reactions: Rich_uk

Rich_uk

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2018
West Midlands
Couldn't I just go to an Evans bike shop and say I'm bringing it on behalf of the guy who bought it? I have a copy of his receipt, well kind of, he bought it online so his receipt is an email, which he forwarded to me, I could print it out.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Couldn't I just go to an Evans bike shop and say I'm bringing it on behalf of the guy who bought it? I have a copy of his receipt, well kind of, he bought it online so his receipt is an email, which he forwarded to me, I could print it out.
i have a copy of my receipt from ebike shop that the seller gave me and it is on the down tube on my bike forget warranty he wont even sell me fkn parts!

you could ring evens and ask and see what they say but i bet the answer will be no if you are not the original buyer.

you need this to remove the sprocket lock ring.
https://www.ebiketuning.com/manufacturer/ebikespider/ebikespider-with-crank-puller.html

D

Deleted member 4366

It might be a bit easier and more certain to temporarily change your name, i.e. just tell them that you are the original owner. I've never seen an ebike shop ask for proof of identity.

Reactions: Rich_uk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It might be a bit easier and more certain to temporarily change your name, i.e. just tell them that you are the original owner. I've never seen an ebike shop ask for proof of identity.
https://www.evanscycles.com/hub/electric-bikes/electric-bike-servicing
* If you remove the limiter on your electric bike you will invalidate your warranty.

GENERAL SERVICING Accessories purchased from us fitted free of charge (except full-length mudguards). We will undertake any other stand-alone repair charged at £15 per 15 minutes (£15 minimum).
https://static.evanscycles.com/production/campaign/static-pages/Servicing/Servicing_pricelist_2016.pdf

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
One quick check is to take chain of and give pedal a really good push. I get 2-2.5 revolutions before it stops.
Another member who tried same thing on suspect motor only got 1 revolution.