Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Lol, these look very impractical :p

Seller just insured me that these umbrella are completely windproof... I may give a go..

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Cwah - I think you're missing the point everyone is trying to make.

No one is disputing that the umbrella is tough and windproof - indestructable even.

What we're concerned about the effect of one strapped to a bikes handlebars!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Cwah.....there is no such thing as a totally windproof umbrella.....and even if there was, that would be even more dangerous when cycling with one on your handlebars in London traffic, we are trying to keep all our members, not lose them unnecessarily under London buses..... :rolleyes:

Lynda :)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
hmm.. I completely get your point. But I have the feeling I can still try it slowly.

Why would they invent cycle umbrella if they can't be used with a little bit of wind?

Worth see. If that doesn't work... well, we'll know! (no I don't plan to go under a bus)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Please remember Cwah that the reason they invented umbrellas was to protect you from RAIN......and in hotter climes......SUN :cool:

Windcheaters ( I prefer a House ) were invented to protect you from WIND :D

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
The below offers some areodynamics qualities,

umbrella[1].jpg

The stealth Brolly

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My brain hurts! It's a terrible idea; GIVE IT UP!!!
I think cwah is one of those brave pioneers in the mould of Jean-Francois de Rosier, Otto Lillienthal, Captain Scott et al. Regardless of the risk they went ahead and died trying. Which reminds me, we haven't got an Obituaries section, have we.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
About 15 years ago, we were on holiday in Brittany & saw a chap riding a bike on a big, open beach: Attached to the handlebars, or frame, was a fairly small sail (8' tall?) like those on windsurfers.

The cyclist had one hand on the bars & the other "controlling" the sail.

He seemed to be struggling :rolleyes:

Never did see whether he was making progress, as we were caught-up in traffic.

This was back in the days when I was surfing a waveski & we were contemplating trying an aerofoil kite attached to a ski, for flat days :p

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Ok ok guys... project is on hold for now. Not going to get the Senz umbrella.

Still thinking about a way to protect from rain, maybe an adapted windshield... will see.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I know it's only water. But it's always raining in london. Would like to have something simple and practical. The jacket is a little bit annoying to wear.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I know it's only water. But it's always raining in london. Would like to have something simple and practical. The jacket is a little bit annoying to wear.
Skin is waterproof, simple, practical to wear:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Oh...I have a far more interesting photo from the naked bike ride than that one !!

Drat ...what a pity I dont know how to post pictures :D