Cycling under the rain

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Find a cake shop and wait till the rain stops? Works for me!
Tom
2 weeks ago, I wanted to go back home around midnight after a drink in a pub. I waited 2 hours to see if rain would stop... It didn't.

I decided to go back home cycling under the rain.

Hopefully I did that because when I woke up at 10am it was still raining!!

So no, it doesn't work in paris ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

For Christ's sake (or whoever your saviour is) get a Cape. They only cost about 10 Euros, and then you'll be happy.

Reactions: flecc

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
beware cycling with a cape folks...

my wife and I were cycling ( 30 years ago!) to the South of France from London....we had capes, and it rained and it rained....
then we found ourselves on busy-ish A road, and a large semi went passed the both of us at speed, so that the draught from the lorry lifted my cape and sent it over my head and over the handle bars..

Suddenly I could see nothing at all , and it was the worst moment of my life.....no more capes, even the ones that tie down at the back, which also make getting off the bike impossible

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I just received my windshield today:

And I added velcro on top of it so I can use my phone when it's raining:

This windshield looks really nice! But unfortunately it doesn't work well with brompton M bar, I have to swap it to a T bar and see how it would work when it's raining :cool:

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Kinderwagen? Like it :) might be a touch small! :D
Can one still get those clear plastic umbrellas that come down over you?
Can't see windscreen pics, is that the Dutch one? Forget the name.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Nice cape, but seriously wrong colour.
I was driving on a narrow straight A road we have here in Wales, about half a mile ahead coming towards me was a cyclist in a dark cape. It was raining and he was nearly invisible against the dark hedge. This was in full daylight.

atheo

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2011
Beds..
Tried capes years ago and found they were no good when windy or rain nigh on horizontal.Still needed to wear waterproof trousers to stop lower half getting wet,therefore may as well buy a decent two piece wet gear.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
This thread is brilliant!
Im so glad cwah brought the post back from the dead with his image of the windshield a couple of days ago so I have had the pleasure of reading it all!

I have literally been trying not to choke on my lunch here with laughter. We're flat out but the 10min break was well worth it!

Oh and cwah, that windshield looks just the ticket!
Please please please post a picture of you using the windshield and umbrella together on your bike..

Regards
Martin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This thread is brilliant!
Im so glad cwah brought the post back from the dead

Please please please post a picture of you using the windshield and umbrella together on your bike..

Regards
Martin
and the trailer attached!

There's no doubt cwah is achieving fame as one of e-biking's great entertainers. :cool:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm now thinking to maybe try a COMPLETE rain combination:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/USG-Unisex-Combination-Large-Transparent/dp/B00464AIA8/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1390827583&sr=8-24&keywords=rain+combination
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-Mens-Cycling-Neoprene-Overshoes/dp/B008H3UAAM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

Something to put on top of my jacket and shoes to completely protect from the rain. Not some pancho as it doesn't protect from rain coming from the ground.

Anyone tried these?

Does it work well?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
No, but I alwaus get my legs and shoes wet. So better get a full protection

jumpin

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Altrincham
I just received my windshield today:

And I added velcro on top of it so I can use my phone when it's raining:

This windshield looks really nice! But unfortunately it doesn't work well with brompton M bar, I have to swap it to a T bar and see how it would work when it's raining :cool:
... I thought this bike was stolen?

D

Deleted member 4366

No, but I alwaus get my legs and shoes wet. So better get a full protection
You should try one. They give more protection than you think, but make sure that you've got a front mudguard on the front wheel to stop it from spraying you.