Cycling under the rain

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
That suit combo will be a sweat box. You'll get more condensation on the inside.
You can get a waterproof seam sealed pu smock from decathlon for £7. Trousers for £12.
Id get a larger size for better ventilation.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
You should try one. They give more protection than you think, but make sure that you've got a front mudguard on the front wheel to stop it from spraying you.
Ok I'm going to try a poncho to see as they are cheap

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
That suit combo will be a sweat box. You'll get more condensation on the inside.
You can get a waterproof seam sealed pu smock from decathlon for £7. Trousers for £12.
Id get a larger size for better ventilation.
yeah I'm checking that too

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My version of a poor mans overshoe is a tescos plastic bag (other bags are available) over the shoe then hold it in place with an old large sock over the top of that.
Use a band and sell the advertising.

Reactions: superDove

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It looks as though it will be too short at the middle front to work well cwah, and could too easily blow upwards.

The shape you need is like the photo linked to below, dropping well down the front of the handlebars which shelters the legs from rain and is not inclined to blow upwards in winds:

Proper Cycle Cape

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that's much more like it, should keep you dry and warm without getting too hot

D

Deleted member 4366

The second one looks OK. You need one that goes over the handlebars and seat. They have the added advantage that they keep all your electrics dry as well, and you can use it as a bike cover too.

The best ones have little hoops inside that you can stick a finger through to hold it in place over the handlebars otherwise the wind might lift it up

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
D

Deleted member 4366

Too much discussion and not enough doing!

Try the cape first. You might like it. Its only £10, and then you'll know if it's any good for you. Worry about your feet later.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I noticed yesterday even with mudguard rain goes over my shoes... so maybe full combi would be better?
Most bike front mudguards are far too short at the rear and need a mud flap added to give foot protection from wheel spray.

Meanwhile though, take d8veh's good advice and buy that cape, it will solve most of your problem and make your rain cycling very much more pleasant.

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
ok ok I'm going to check if I can find some in london cycle shop. If not, I'll get the one online.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's torn it! The rain will stop as you receive it and we'll probably have a long period of drought! :rolleyes:
Like what happened when I made the rain collecting system for my greenhouse. It was months before it rained. It's fallen off now. Maybe I should reinstate it!

Reactions: flecc