E-bike Of The Year

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
2008 best products how forgetable they were,cytronex a bike that suits semi fit cyclists,that probably do not need an electric bike,kalkhoff gave us the pro connect an uncomfortable sport bike with unsuitably spoked wheels,ezee enforce a pedelec only restricted torq upon us,and powabyke gave us a new low range bike without the expected drink bottle style battery,i see nothing that improves significantly upon the past,lets hope 2009 can give us something better than we already have.

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
Flecc,
Is there a specific reason why you cant disclose your new pick of 2009? I have just ordered a Pro-Connect-S and will order another very shortly, if there is something better coming that I am not aware of, I would really like to know, esopecially considering the amount I will be spending.

I am not sure any company would like future prospective buyers committing to something else before their's comes out- this is the reason we have so many rumor sites, supported by the manufactures (ie: Apple Computer)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Commercial confidence I'm afraid Intex, it's not my prerogative to release any details and it's still undergoing trials. However, it's not my pick of 2009 since I've no idea what that year will bring in total, but it could be a possible contender.

The thing is that there will always be more new bikes coming along that aren't known about, and a decision has to be made sometime to purchase without that knowledge. In this case I think you needn't worry about the model in question since it won't be marketed in the USA where you will be returning with your new bike, and there will be no support for it there. With any new design where there's a departure from a company's former designs, I'd consider service support vital on a "just in case" basis. It also doesn't seem to fit some of your expressed requirements in previous threads and is very different from the Pro Connect S.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Does anyone have 'reliable' figures as to how many of each bike was sold this year and/or a figure of the total number of e-bike sales this year?

C

Cyclezee

I would be very interested in your own top three bikes of all time john,you have probably owned more than anybody else on the forum,and you have already sold what are being touted as the best of 2008.
OK Paul, deviating ever so slightly from the thread, my top 3 of all time. In 3rd place the gents frame Giant Lafree Twist Lite, it was a revelation to me and what got me into e-bikes. 2nd Ezee Torq Trekking in derestricted form, with the right battery and a bit of waterproofing it is fast and fun.
In 1st position it has be the diamond frame Kalkhoff Agattu, it is well made, reliable, comfortable and a joy to ride. This would also be my e-bike of 2008.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
My vote is for the Infineum

So light and quick - you can't actually see it ;)

On a more serious note, I'll cast my vote when my Pro Connect turns up tomorrow :)

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
I'll vote for the agattu over the cytronex. Primarly because its great all rounder ready to ride bike. A very rare thing in the UK.

The cytronex is a well executed design thats been well marketed, but i think its use is narrower than the Agattu and it has competition from the well executed badly marketed nano brompton.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does anyone have 'reliable' figures as to how many of each bike was sold this year and/or a figure of the total number of e-bike sales this year?
A to B have collected some information indicating a best ever total UK sales figure of 15,000 e-bikes for the last year. However, I know that has been beaten in the past on occasions and I suspect they haven't included estimates for much of the selling on ebay and the like, so it's likely to be 20,000 plus for 2008.

Individually there's no information, suppliers possibly unlikely to give out reliable 2008 information that could be of use to competitors. I would have thought the Kalkhoff and Wisper models would have been at or near the top in the upper price ranges though, with Powacycle shifting quite a lot of their low priced Salisbury and Windsor models both direct and through dealers.

P.S. A to B have since said that their figures are for suppliers with average bike prices exceeding £600 and don't include kits. On this basis 20,000 e-bikes sold this year is an absolute minimum and with kits the total could be well over that, perhaps as high as 25,000 total.

Last edited:

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
We can hazzard a rough guess at the number of Kalkhoffs thanks to a post from 50C to the Agattu battery problems thread...

I think people are panicking a little bit regarding these batteries to put it in context out of 1500+ Batteries we have claimed 6 under warranty, that is 0.39% return in 13 months of selling this battery.
So.. that would seem to be about one and a half thousand Kalkhoffs then..

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
The ProConnect gets my vote because it scaled hills in Cornwall that I thought would be beyond me.

As one of the lightest ebikes, it is also a joy to load onto the high bike carrier on the VW T5 campervan.

The 2009 model with its 36 spoke back wheel will be considerably more versatile.

James

gwing

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2008
Chiltern Hills
Mine of course!

For me the e-bike of 2009 will have to be mine as none of the commercially available one exactly fits what I am looking for - although the Cytronex was close enough that I would have bough one if any were available.

The bike is still to build at the moment, pending shipment of the motor kits, but I've bought the base bike for the conversion and am waiting to go.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
And the winner is...The Agattu...by a very hilly mile..

...though I'm not sure I qualify to vote as I haven't treid any others.. (but as the late great Paul Newman once remarked.. "Why bother with a burger when you can have steak every night at home!":) :)

bw
musicbooks

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
I think I would have to vote Wisper 905se especially since its the only one I've ridden apart from my old Powabyke! It hits the spot for me and I never find myself worrying that the battery will give up on me half way home (/work).
Hard to vote for anything else as the only other ebike I've actually ridden is an old Powabyke! On the other hand, on the basis of other's post's, spec. looks, etc., the Cytronex looks very apealing and one I feel very tempted to check out properly sometime (I think I could make space for both bikes, and use either according to the particular journey and my mood!).
The other one for me is unavailable to others. I've nearly finished converting my wife's Saracen Diva, by cannibalising the motor, throttle and controller from my old (written off) Powabyke and building them on to it, powered by a 36v 10ah Li-ion battery (Courtesy of Alien). Project almost finished - due for Christmas!! :) . At least it will fit her, is lighter than the great majority of others and the range should shame the X6. I expect (hope) great hill climbing ability too (there may be trouble if it doesn't deliver here :eek: ).

Phil

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
And the winner is...The Agattu...by a very hilly mile..

...though I'm not sure I qualify to vote as I haven't treid any others.. (but as the late great Paul Newman once remarked.. "Why bother with a burger when you can have steak every night at home!":) :)

bw
musicbooks
Hey burgers are fast and cheap. Our E-Bikes aren't either. Then again suppose it's all relative. :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I expect (hope) great hill climbing ability too (there may be trouble if it doesn't deliver here :eek: ).

Phil
It should be a great climber Phil, the classic Powabyke motor with a light battery and moderate weight bike. I can see a risk of you "borrowing" it. :D

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Not the bikes

Which machine a rider will choose to own, is of course a matter of suitability. The use to which the machine will be put, the owners terrain and of course their level of fitness. Whichever of the mainstream bikes is chosen it will give a good return for the investment.....unless you remove one vital component that will render it next to worthless.......the battery!!.

We came into 2008 reeling from battery failures that touched almost every supplier, one of which has still to fully recover from those early Lithium failures. My hat therefore, comes off to the battery suppliers who responded remarkably quickly to this issue.

By mid Summer we had reliable batteries from Panasonic, Phylion, whoever makes the big Wisper Lipo Manga and of course Li Pings LiFePO4's. For those who like to self build, these batteries are now available in a variety of shapes and sizes. Tall and slim for frame mounting, flat for rack mounting and even some missile shaped.

In riding, cleaning and general maintenance most riders will get to know every nut, bolt, connection and cable in intimate detail, but how many ever get to see inside that battery case....and those that do decide "I'm not going in there". there's more technology inside that casing than the rest of the machine put together.

So folks, for me it's not about the bikes, 2008 has been THE YEAR OF THE BATTERY.

All the best

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
whoever makes the big Wisper Lipo Manga and of course Li Pings LiFePO4's.

So folks, for me it's not about the bikes, 2008 has been THE YEAR OF THE BATTERY.

All the best

Bob
You're right Bob, and it's good to see something positive said about batteries in general, noting the big strides made.

I believe the manufacturer of the Wisper battery is Advance, it having been Lishen for a long time previously.