E-bike Of The Year

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
OK Paul, deviating ever so slightly from the thread, my top 3 of all time. In 3rd place the gents frame Giant Lafree Twist Lite, it was a revelation to me and what got me into e-bikes. 2nd Ezee Torq Trekking in derestricted form, with the right battery and a bit of waterproofing it is fast and fun.
In 1st position it has be the diamond frame Kalkhoff Agattu, it is well made, reliable, comfortable and a joy to ride. This would also be my e-bike of 2008 as the diamond frame version didn't hit the streets until 2008.

J:) hn
Thanks john, my own choice for best ever bike would be the ezee torq trekking in derestricted form because i like fast and fun,and the agattu second ahead of the pro connect, because it offers more comfort more value for money,and better wheels,third place i would give to the synergy mistral,as it seems to be the best budget buy and seemingly not a bad word said against it.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Whichever of the mainstream bikes is chosen it will give a good return for the investment.....unless you remove one vital component that will render it next to worthless.......the battery!!.

Bob
If someone feels like selling a Wisper, Agattu or Cytronex without the battery for next to nothing I'm up for it! :)

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
If someone feels like selling a Wisper, Agattu or Cytronex without the battery for next to nothing I'm up for it! :)
So would most of the forum,everybody would love a bargain but you should be prepared to pay a reasonable price for a bike.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
HI

The un-disputed heavy weight champion of the world is the Agattu xxl, I have had this over 2 months now and it is the best thing I have ever had.

thx

Bob

C

Cyclezee

So far it is looking like Kalkhoff is going to be the number one choice.
No surprise there then!

I did expect a few votes for some of the impressive kit bikes/conversions produced by some contributors?
Maybe we should have a separte vote for those bikes? I guess a certain members 'T' radical and 'Q' bike would have walked away with that category a couple of years ago.

I personally have been very impressed with the efforts based on the Tongxin motors which is proving to be an excellent choice.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Interesting though it is the Agattu and not the Pro Connect that is accumulating the praise. So, it looks as though Flecc's summation of the Agattu is proving to be 100% correct

New year resolution 23.. To prove our Tony wrong at least once in 2009. A bit like wishing for an economic recovery but hey, we can only dream and hope:D

Thanks for coming up with the post, John..Great idea.. and have a hoot of a hogmany :)

bw
musicbooks

C

Cyclezee

Interesting though it is the Agattu and not the Pro Connect that is accumulating the praise.
The Agattu is probably the most popular choice due to a higher volume of sales and people choosing the bike they own.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I think you are right, however, in terms of the ownership issue, we've got a cat but I wouldn't be nominating it as the perfect pet:D That goes along with half of our household appliances and our bloody awful car...( make and model withdrawn:rolleyes: )

It could be that a few teething probs with the Pro Connect are making owners hesitate to nominate.

bw
musicbooks

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
The Agattu is probably the most popular choice due to a higher volume of sales and people choosing the bike they own.

But a higher volume of sales says to me that people are voting with their hard earned cash. I'm sure many of them are discerning buyers that do their homework first. I read all your excellent posts and others before making my mind up. So unless the Wisper owners pile in I'd agree it looks like it's the Aggatu - and a fine bike it is too :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I still stick with my Agattu choice, both here and at the time of my review. For me it really hit the spot in the most universally appealing way with build quality included at a wholly reasonable price.

C

Cyclezee

No offence to anyone who has already commented, but with 1150 people have looked at this thread, disappointingly, only a handful have posted so far:( So come guys, let’s hear from you.

Could it be most of the people that have viewed the thread are not members of the forum and can't post? Membership is free, so why not join and have your say, not just on this thread, but on any e-bike related topic;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No offence to anyone who has already commented, but with 1150 people have looked at this thread, disappointingly, only a handful have posted so far:( So come guys, let’s hear from you.

Could it be most of the people that have viewed the thread are not members of the forum and can't post? Membership is free, so why not join and have your say, not just on this thread, but on any e-bike related topic;)

Well said, lets hear from some more.

On second thoughts, perhaps it's the e-bike suppliers anxiously looking every few minutes who've made most of those hits. :D

I noticed 50cycles have already commented on this thread in their latest Christmas newsletter today.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Well said, lets hear from some more.

On second thoughts, perhaps it's the e-bike suppliers anxiously looking every few minutes who've made most of those hits. :D

I.
Ha haa..I can just imagine it.:D

Joannas "Advice please" thread got 2,891 views and she bought a Wisper.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007

Hear hear J,
I was hoping my previous comment might stimulate a few more responses.. Perhaps certain e-bike owners and companies don't feel it is appropriate or right to nominate their bike as a "best of 2008" I can think of a few significant e-bikes missing from the nominations.

bw
musicbooks:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can think of a few significant e-bikes missing from the nominations.

bw
musicbooks:)
I don't think we can be missing many if it's bikes introduced in 2008 as John specified in his initial post.

Most of the significant models arrived in previous years, 2006 and 2007 being prominent in this respect, even the Agattu only qualifying for 2008 because the crossbar model arrived late.

For significant models, off the cuff I can only think of the Cytronex, the Pro Connect, the X bike, the impossible to get Nano Brompton which everyone has now given up on, the Gazelle Innergy which I don't know is owned yet by any member, and the Infineum which has failed to appear so far, and the first three have been voted for.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I don't think we can be missing many if it's bikes introduced in 2008 as John specified in his initial post.

Most of the significant models arrived in previous years, 2006 and 2007 being prominent in this respect, even the Agattu only qualifying for 2008 because the crossbar model arrived late.

For significant models, off the cuff I can only think of the Cytronex, the Pro Connect, the X bike, the impossible to get Nano Brompton which everyone has now given up on, the Gazelle Innergy which I don't know is owned yet by any member, and the Infineum which has failed to appear so far, and the first three have been voted for.

It's a bit like the Soap awards then.. or the Scottish League..

So will it be Celtic or Rangers.... yawn yawn..

I can see why no one is bothering to vote..
Mind you, I thought Mr Ching would have thought up a way to vote for one of his bikes by now!
bw
musicbooks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can see why no one is bothering to vote..
Mind you, I thought Mr Ching would have thought up a way to vote for one of his bikes by now!
bw
musicbooks
That's the thing, important contenders of previous years like Wisper, eZee, Powacycle (apart from the absent Infineum) and Synergie haven't introduced any new 2008 models.

In 2006 or 2007 this thread would have been very lively, but perhaps 2009 will make up for this year. There's the Infineum if it arrives, the Kalkhoff Agattu Jubilee hub motor bike, the Pro Connect S, the Panasonic regenerative brake model and a quality model from another manufacturer, and that's before the new year even begins. 2009 looks like it could be very lively. :cool:

C

Cyclezee

There have infact been several new bikes not mentioned to date e.g. from Giant, Monark, Helkama and Raleigh (Germany). All these makes are owned by forum members, so it is not a one horse race and you don't have to own one to make your choice. After all how many of us have actually met a politician we have voted for? (Forget I wrote that :rolleyes: )

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
That's the thing, important contenders of previous years like Wisper, eZee, Powacycle (apart from the absent Infineum) and Synergie haven't introduced any new 2008 models.

In 2006 or 2007 this thread would have been very lively, but perhaps 2009 will make up for this year. There's the Infineum if it arrives, the Kalkhoff Agattu Jubilee hub motor bike, the Pro Connect S, the Panasonic regenerative brake model and a quality model from another manufacturer, and that's before the new year even begins. 2009 looks like it could be very lively. :cool:
Lets hope 2009 is a good year,and the bikes can deliver whatever claims are being made,and arrive in the shops in time for the launch date,i notice there is an agattu hub motor bike being launched,will the probable best bike of 2008 panasonic powered version still be available.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There have infact been several new bikes not mentioned to date e.g. from Giant, Monark, Helkama and Raleigh (Germany). All these makes are owned by forum members, so it is not a one horse race and you don't have to own one to make your choice. After all how many of us have actually met a politician we have voted for? (Forget I wrote that :rolleyes: )

I suppose significant is the thing though John. The Giant is only a revamp of an unsuccessful model, and the Monark, Helkama and Raleigh gmbh models are "me too" Panasonic models almost identical to the Agattu spec, without the same support in the UK, though of course we have a few European members who could vote for them.