Oxydrive kits

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Now that I have worn my battery down to a couple of bars ( on the display), I thought I'd top up on the charger. I expected that when I plugged it in the battery lights might flash or at least only show a bar or two lit up but all four are lit up green as is the charger itself not red as expected while charging (as per manual). How should I know about the charge status when connected to the charger?
Any one got any advice?

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the LED on the charger should go from red (charging) to green when finished.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Thanks trex, I have now disconnected everything and reconnected so that I now have a red light on the charger and two greens on the battery.
:oops:

D

Deleted member 4366

If your charger stays green when you plug it in to a battery that needs charging, press the power switch on the battery, then it will start charging.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Done :D. Spent today on and off fitting the kit. Rear wheel built and fitted with Torque arm,adapted fitted sensor ring works nicely which I attached to the chain ring. My reservations about the wiring came to nothing and no splicing of the wiring was necessary had to fit thumb throttle on the right. Fitted extra riv nut for battery mount all in all the kit wiring looks much neater than the BBS on my Norco. Decided to remove the reed switch with its connector and fit to my hyd brake, I drilled a hole through the back of the lever and having passed the reed through it threaded the attached hex screw in to the hole, magnets and sugru used on brake lever and a bit of heat shrink over the reed. Tested throttle and brake and all is ticketyboo hub switches on and off nicely :). :( The only thing I am struggling with is the settings on the LCD haven't yet cyphered how to find and adjust wheel size, km to mph etc, etc all that I have managed is to go up and down with the assist levels 1-6.
Will post pics soon.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: baldylox
D

Deleted member 4366

To adjust the wheel size, you press and hold the "set" button until the screen flashes, then I think it's the power button to change screens for each setting. Up and down buttons to change parameters. While in this settings mode, press and hold the "set" button for a long time takes it to advanced settings where you set the speed limit and change the throttle from 6kph to normal operation.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks D8veh will give it a try.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Right managed to change wheel and speed mode to mph.

For wheel size press set for 3 secs then press again twice then press up or down.

For mph or kmh press set for 3 secs then again 3 times bot left fig says 3 press down to change.

As D8veh says once in there press set for 10secs or more and you can change max speed bot left says L then up or down max speed shows 31.2 mph which is 49/50kmh.

Last edited:

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Right managed to change wheel and speed mode to mph.

For wheel size press set for 3 secs then press again twice then press up or down.

For mph or kmh press set for 3 secs then again 3 times bot left fig says 3 press down to change.

As D8veh says once in there press set for 10secs or more and you can change max speed bot left says L then up or down max speed shows 31.2 mph which is 49/50kmh.
many thanks for this very useful info all. as a complete aside - while im waiting for the bb i had to put teh bike in an outside locker (very limited space inside) - apologies if thsi has been covered in another thread, BUT - i gather charging Lipo and lifepo at subzero temperature is a very bad idea - but is leaving it outside at subzero bad? and (once teh bike is working) is using it immediately with a battery that is at subzero temperature (i.e. discharging it at that temperature) a bad thing? many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

Using a battery in sub-zero temperatures is not a problem. As soon as you start using it, it starts to heat itself up. Cold is good for a lithium battery. It makes them last longer, but you shouldn't allow them to freeze.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
And expect to get a bit less power from your battery in cold conditions.

D

Deleted member 4366

And expect to get a bit less power from your battery in cold conditions.
That's something I'm not sure about. I've never experienced it and there's a lot of other factors that can confuse the relationship. In theory, the colder temperature would slow down the reactions in the battery. The only thing you'd notice would be a tiny bit more voltage sag if your battery was already struggling to provide the current. This might have been true a few years ago, when batteries had lower discharge rates, or if you tried to run a 1000w motor from a 10ah battery, but modern batteries can provide more than enough current for the average 250w system. In the scenario where you had a 1000w motor and 10 ah battery, the huge current through the battery would heat it up within minutes. Even 60C lipos get pretty warm when you take 25 or 30 amps from them.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That's something I'm not sure about. I've never experienced it .
Nor have I to any noticeable extent.

Any mechanical device can feel less perky when it's very cold, thicker oil/grease in bearings is one reason.

Am I right that cold cables offer higher resistance?

If so, that could have an impact, less current getting from battery to motor.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Am I right that cold cables offer higher resistance?

If so, that could have an impact, less current getting from battery to motor.
No, it's the other way. Colder temperature = less resistance.

I doubt it has much of an effect in the small temperature ranges we are dealing with here though.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Colder temperature = less resistance.
it's only true for copper based conductors. The internal resistance of the battery increases in colder environment, the Lithium becomes less mobile.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Using a battery in sub-zero temperatures is not a problem. As soon as you start using it, it starts to heat itself up. Cold is good for a lithium battery. It makes them last longer, but you shouldn't allow them to freeze.
many thanks, its very reassuring