Oxydrive kits

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Hollowtech is easy. You mount the sensor on the other side of its bracket so that it reaches over the bearing holder. You might have to drill an additional hole for the LED. Then, you cut the middle out of the magnet disc and glue it to the inner chainring with some epoxy.

I think that's what I'll end up having to do, if not then fabricate my own disc with magnets epoxied on and in turn glued to the onside of the small chainring but on my bike the clearances are really tight - suspension linkages.
Do I need a 12 magnet disk or can I get away with less as in your example as it's easier to cut away the splines/arms.

D

Deleted member 4366

I was looking at all the conversions that d8veh has made. I notice that you often put the pannier battery in a bag - did you do anything special to fix it to the pannier so it can't get nicked?
There's a piece of plywood inside the bag, which is bolted to the rack, so the bag can't be removed. The zip is round the bottom, where people don't notice it. Finally, I put a cable-tie through the zip so it can't be undone. It's not completely thiefproof, but it keeps light fingers off. It would take the average thief quite a while to figure out how it all works. Even if he opened the bag, the battery is gaffa taped to the plywood, so still not easy to remove.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think that's what I'll end up having to do, if not then fabricate my own disc with magnets epoxied on and in turn glued to the onside of the small chainring but on my bike the clearances are really tight - suspension linkages.
Do I need a 12 magnet disk or can I get away with less as in your example as it's easier to cut away the splines.
The orientation of the magnets is important. Make sure you mark them, and check whether they're all orientated the same way. Sometimes they alternate.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
These sensors are handed. The problem is that there's no external difference betweeen LH and RH. I wonder if you've got a left hand one? Before you flipped it, did it work when you pedalled backwards?
many thanks - a strange sequence of events unfolded: I turned the magnet ring around (just before this turning the pedals backwards activated the system in a fine way and everything worked OK), reassembled everything and nothing worked. I tried everything (finally disassembling the whole system and only connecting individual bits) - still nothing. then I noticed a distinctly burning smell from the controller - I opened it up - a diode looking little brown thing (top left corner of the attached pic, just to the left of the white wire) had indeed burnt out. I wish I knew what its purpose is? that way I would know whether it was simply a controller malfunction or whether some other part of the system had caused it (perhaps the motor had sorted it, or something about turning the magnet ring around had caused it - I briefly touched the sensor with the magnet ring)? apologies for my ignorance about this - any advice or insights would be greatly welcomed

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

That's the main drop-down resistor to the 12v regulator, which passes the 12v to the 5v regulator, which powers the pedal sensor. My guess is that you had a short circuit on the 5v somewhere. Are the pins bent in the pedal sensor connector?

OXYDrive

Finding my (electric) wheels
Hi Selrahc,

Sorry to hear about the problem. This never happened before. Will try my best to sort out new box with controller, holding rail, display to you asap.

I'm away in China till 26th but will ask warehouse to dispatch new bits asap.

When you get new bits please don't connect them with any of the old parts

all the best

Andrew

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
That's the main drop-down resistor to the 12v regulator, which passes the 12v to the 5v regulator, which powers the pedal sensor. My guess is that you had a short circuit on the 5v somewhere. Are the pins bent in the pedal sensor connector?
many thanks that helps enormously - the pins aren't bent (the connector only has three and a little ridge to assist plugging (I attach a pic), but something about the PAS must have caused it. what's the best thing to do? many thanks

Attachments

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Hi Selrahc,

Sorry to hear about the problem. This never happened before. Will try my best to sort out new box with controller, holding rail, display to you asap.

I'm away in China till 26th but will ask warehouse to dispatch new bits asap.

When you get new bits please don't connect them with any of the old parts

all the best

Andrew
many thanks Andrew, that's great support, I wont connect them to any old parts - I suspect that it is the PAS that somehow caused it and feel at least half responsible for this (having greatly modified it), how do I buy a new one?

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Hi Selrahc,
which PAS did you use? King-meter or Big Stone?
Hi Andrew,

I used king meter (the separated magnet ring and sensor one) - big stone didn't fit on my bottom bracket, if I buy a new
Hi Selrahc,
which PAS did you use? King-meter or Big Stone?
sorry this may be a double message (connection problems), I used king meter (separate sensor and magnet ring) because big stone didn't fit on my non drive bottom bracket, id prefer to buy a king meter PAS and magnet ring to fit on the non drive side as I think d8veh mentioned before because I hope there would be less interference issues on this bike, many thanks

Ian_Fearn

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2007
Today was the first proper test for me. 15mins to get to work, previous best with pedal only power was 40mins! Car takes 40-50mins due to traffic.

I pedalled the whole way to keep warm and extend the likely range of the battery.

Got to work feeling awake but not in the slightest bit tired and nicely warmed. 100% success.

According to the forum, I joined in 2007 and have only just got round to doing this. Well recommended.

Angiey

Jan 4, 2015
Info for c300 36 display
Found this link. Quite helpful. Once there scroll down and click description and all info there.

Just trying to find out what the auto mode is. I came across it accidentally while I had bike in my kitchen as too cold in garage. When displayed auto the thing took off on its own and crashed into the kitchen cupboards. I am now shivering in the garage. :(:(:D

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=Gg65VOiJMY7eaNaXgJAC&url=http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/E-bicycle-LCD-display-C300-36V-Conversion-Kits-DIY-kits-with-LCD-panel-CE-approved/605517_697852689.html&ved=0CCsQFjAE&usg=AFQjCNFGePkHpm-kaI7SrR3N73SAUKRQJQ

Last edited:
Reactions: baldylox

Angiey

Jan 4, 2015
Just wondering what the best way to recharge these batteries. Is it better to let them discharge quite a bit or keep them topped up after every use even though not much juice has been used. Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: baldylox

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
This is probably the thin disc in the vid, 7euros @ elfkw for octalink.

http://elfkw.at/pics/d12k_01.jpg
Well spotted, thank you.
I assumed German so trawled web sites in the wrong place, should have guessed Austria as I go there often enough for work!
I have made an enquiry to get one sent over :cool:
Am about to take the new build on it's first run but without PAS so throttle only, looking forward to it.

D

Deleted member 4366

I was going to buy some gears from them a while ago, but the shipping cost was much too high. They did then offer a cheaper method, but there was some downside to it that I can't remember, which still put me off. Please let us know what the overall cost is.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Here's a bit of feedback after my first run...
Out on a closed road, fairly flat with settings up to maximum, the oxydrive kit was able to propel my 14.5 stone at 20(ish) mph on throttle alone. The speed dropped off sharply with a slight incline.
After all the adjustment of the chainset to try and accommodate the PAS (which I've given up on for the moment) I need to do some adjustment to the gears before I take it off road in the woods.
I am fairly impressed so far but really want to get the PAS sorted because with a bit of pedal assistance with the motor, it shifts.

Last edited: