Return to the bent!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Just putting the shopping basket together.
I need a display with seperate buttons, was looking at LCD3 - is this going to give me the best functionality bearing in mind I'm going to need to set cut off speed?
The shape of the LCD8s would suit the fitting location better (at greater cost) but not sure if it's trying to do too much.
Any thoughts?
LCD3 is good, so is LCD8. Avoid LCD1. LCD5 looks a bit crappy. LCD4 buttons are a bit too small. The rest are OK, I think.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Just putting the shopping basket together.
I need a display with seperate buttons, was looking at LCD3 - is this going to give me the best functionality bearing in mind I'm going to need to set cut off speed?
The shape of the LCD8s would suit the fitting location better (at greater cost) but not sure if it's trying to do too much.
Any thoughts?
The lcd3 I just fitted had a separate wired 3 button switch, it only has a short wire to fit on handlebars next to display, I had to extend it to fit between the display on the bent boom and the handlebars.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks guys, think I'll go for the 3 as I've seen it mentioned a lot in posts so there'll be plenty of help with any programming issues.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Having spent a long time carefully formulating the order to contain exactly what I wanted, I somehow selected the wrong payment method. Topbikekit are now waiting for a payment from Wells Fargo which I can't make.
AAARRRRGH!:mad: Colour me stoopid.

I've sent customer support a message and await the reply.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I've had a mail back from topbikekit telling me that I can pay their paypal with a link:
topbikekit@outlook.com
But this is an e-mail address. Anyone know how the hell I use a credit or debit card to pay this? I don't have a paypal account.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've had a mail back from topbikekit telling me that I can pay their paypal with a link:
topbikekit@outlook.com
But this is an e-mail address. Anyone know how the hell I use a credit or debit card to pay this? I don't have a paypal account.
Why not set up a Paypal account? It's really useful, much quicker than a credit card and probably more secure, plus you can send cash to your friends like me. I bought all my stuff from China and Ebay using Paypal. You also get buyer protection if you get scammed or any other problems.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Turns out I have got a Paypal account after all. Who knew? I didn't, must have opened it years ago, never saw the need for it and forgot all about it.
It's allowed as I'm officially an old git.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Order has been actioned, but here is the reply from TBK

'We has received your payment and will help you arrange goods to send out as soon as possible.
BTW, you use T09S controller to fit the 800W RPM328 motor may not have enough power.
If you use it on an uphill, we suggest that you replace motor with RPM: 201
Please be careful not to ride too fast, otherwise the controller may easily burn down due to overload.
Any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Thanks.'

I chose the T09s as it's 22A max will be kinder to my battery. As the motor (48v used at 36v) can only use what the controller gives it I assume this somewhat confused advice can be ignored?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have the 328 rpm in my bike with a 14A controller. The controller doesn't burn. They're probably thinking of fat USA guys who don't pedal.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It seems to come from the usual misunderstanding that an 800w motor 'sucks' that power when it will only produce what it is given.
It's kinda like, I might have the capacity for a large portion of chips but if I'm only given a small portion that's all I can eat :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Order has been actioned, but here is the reply from TBK

'We has received your payment and will help you arrange goods to send out as soon as possible.
BTW, you use T09S controller to fit the 800W RPM328 motor may not have enough power.
If you use it on an uphill, we suggest that you replace motor with RPM: 201
Please be careful not to ride too fast, otherwise the controller may easily burn down due to overload.
Any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Thanks.'

I chose the T09s as it's 22A max will be kinder to my battery. As the motor (48v used at 36v) can only use what the controller gives it I assume this somewhat confused advice can be ignored?
I reckon they are worried that you are going to destroy the motor they supply. They would be happier if you use a lower RPM motor which has better yield at slow climbing speed.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Order's been dispatched - the big wait is on.
Went out on the bent last night, for the first time used setting 5/9 and got up a serious climb I'd not tackled before. But, my God, the Dillinger makes some odd noises, it really does not like hills.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Just paid DHL tax bill of 68.29. After working for 55years I really do resent paying more bloody tax ! *^&%&$)(*$%*:p

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Order was scheduled for the 23rd, just been messaged to say it will be here today. 6 days from, I assume, Hong Kong via DHL.
Well that's OK:D

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Kit's arrived, all present and correct.
Now need to find a 36hole 26 inch rim. Anyone got any recommendations?
I'll be asking for wheel building helplater, such as how the hell do I work out the offset and then different spoke lengths?
Also looking for an 8 speed cassette, going to try for one with a bit wider range than the freewheel that's on the bike. Ratio's are a bit close for me.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Confused already.
Tyre is labelled 35-559 26 x 1.35. Existing rim is unmarked.
So what double wall rim do I need?

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
There's a range here:-
Rims - 26' - 559 | Rims & Tape | Wheels | SJS Cycles
If it helps, Cytronex fit Ryde Andra 30 (black) or Halo White Line Classic (silver) to their front hub kits. Just make sure you get a 36 hole one!
For wheelbuilding and spoke calculations, have a look at the videos at:-
IHome page (ebikes.ca)
The spoke calculator is specifically for hub motors and looks good. You will have to follow the video tutorial and take measurements from your hub and rim. I've been having a practice on it over the last few days and find it quite fascinating. I did discover though, that the preloaded dimensions for the MUXUS XF07 are wrong against the MUXUS drawing! You'll be fine entering your own numbers, but as we used to say, "measure twice, cut once!"
When you've got your spoke lengths, there are several suppliers out there. This one looks good:-
Spoke information E-Bike & Bicycle - https://www.alexwarwick.co.uk/
General consenus seems to be that Sapim Strong 13g/14g butted are the ones to use. Available in silver or black. I wouldn't bother with the specific e-bike spokes listed there. They look a bit of an overkill for small hub motors.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I always use the cheapest rims. They're always nice and strong and work pretty well. Avoid ones with eyelets because the nipples jam in them and go at the wrong angle. Ryans for spokes:

Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding guide is what I used to learn how to do it. It's very clear and logical.

You don't know the offset until you put the built wheel in the frame, but a Q128c needs a fair amount, depending on whether you have any frame offset. I would start by making the nipples level with the end of the thread on the cassette side and three threads short on the other side, then tighten eevenly until you just take up the tension in all the spokes, then see how it looks. After that, just tension the spokes on the side it needs to go to to be central until it's in the centre, then bring up to full tension. If they come to full tension and the rim still needs tio go further, you have to go round tightening on one side and loosening on the other.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A 19/21 mm rim is what you need and obviously a 36h one.

I use Sapim strongs 14g on all my wheel builds and agree with others ,Ryansforspokes are very efficient.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a lacing guide I find these two utubes verrrry goooood.

Aussie

India.