Return to the bent!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Oh crap! Ok, I'll give it a go and let you know. Unfortunately it was the only one that looked like it was going to fit.
I still have the previous Dillinger one with two part disc - perhaps it'll end up getting adapted.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Either I'm a genius or they've changed something. Set C1 to 07 and away ya go, pas working - I thank you !

However, on the stand, the motor does seem to be giving me 25mph max, no way of verifying this, it's just what the display is saying. Wheel size is set to 26". Anyone know how to change this in lcd3?

I have hydraulic brake sensors that I'm trying to get working. There are two into one plug, I only want one. If I cut one out I assume it should be OK just leaving that one open circuit? Stubby shimano levers are making life awkward but I'll get there.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The lcd3 is easy peasy to sort out, press+/- for a few secs to enter basic screen , the wheel size and max speed can be set in this first phase of settings along with English or foreign readouts. . You only get 5 secs to make changes before having to start all over agn to eente settings.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thank Neal. I found the maximum speed was set to 72Kph. It's wierd though, setting it to 25Kph registered as around 12Mph on full throttle. Anyway, I've now got it giving 16-17Mph full throttle, on the stand.
I'll need to find maximum current later.
Have now extended pas and contol button wiring and am a fair way into sorting out all the spaggetti.
I have an enclosure for the controller and extra wiring but I'm going to need to make some mounting brackets.
For now - rugby calls :D

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thank Neal. I found the maximum speed was set to 72Kph. It's wierd though, setting it to 25Kph registered as around 12Mph on full throttle. Anyway, I've now got it giving 16-17Mph full throttle, on the stand.
Have now extended pas and contol button wiring and am a fair way into sorting out all the spaggetti.
I have an enclosure for the controller and extra wiring but I'm going to need to make some mounting brackets.
I didn't know you liked Rugby. I'm playing a match today. See if you can guess what position I play.

Are those speeds with a full battery? If not, what voltage?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Water carrier?:oops:
I'm watching it not playing, it's safer !
Round about 38v.
The ball.
201 rpm = 15 mph in a 26" wheel, so at 38v, it should go 38/36 x 15 = 15.83 mph. You should check the speed display against phone GPS when you get it going. Maybe it's actually a 220 rpm motor. We need to find out.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It's a 328 rpm 48v being run at 36v.
I'm not too worried about the precise speed, so long as it's near enough not to be bleedin obvious and the display doesn't say something stoopid if I do get pulled and they try it on the stand.
Got the hydraulic brake switch working using both magnets on one switch.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The P1 might not be accurate if the gps speed doesn't match the display speed , it is very easy to adjust the P1 UP/DOWN to get is accurate then there is no guessing.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
The P1 might not be accurate if the gps speed doesn't match the display speed , it is very easy to adjust the P1 UP/DOWN to get is accurate then there is no guessing.
Except if the magnet count figure just won't save, I've got another thread running about this issue, I can't get the controller to save anything below 20, the magnet count on DD motor is 18, so no need to do the sum with gearing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Except if the magnet count figure just won't save, I've got another thread running about this issue, I can't get the controller to save anything below 20, the magnet count on DD motor is 18, so no need to do the sum with gearing.
Ben isn't using a dd hub so the count will save if done correctly.

P1 isn't just about motor magnet count it also has use the motor reduction rate.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Ben isn't using a dd hub so the count will save if done correctly.

P1 isn't just about motor magnet count it also has use the motor reduction rate.
I know, but a DD motor has no reduction ratio, it's 1:1.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Finally got the bike ready for a shakedown run.
The box for the controller is physically rather larger than I hoped, yet was quite tight to get everything in - hence the loop of cable strapped to the frame. About three and a half miles of spiral wrap later:DSCF3355.JPG
Battery is from my Ezee kit thats on the Carrera, it's mounted on a strip of din rail bolted to the rack.
Motor is well seated into the dropouts with tab washers, no torque bracket as yet.
DSCF3356.JPG
Haven't been able to get the tyre to seat concentricly, tried three times now, letting the tyre down and trying to manipulate the walls into place. But it's still wobbly, have to see how it feels.
DSCF3358.JPG
Wiring for pas and control buttons had to be extended, throttle was long enough.
Now I need to get round to cutting the grass !

Don't know about the P settings, motor magnet count - what's that ? I'll see what the first ride gives me.

Reactions: AntonyC

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Motor magnet count is 16 and motor reduction ( I think) is 10.5 or 10.667 so gives P1 as 168/170.
P1 is criucial for motor performance, I swapped out a Bafang cst & a AKM128C to see which I preferred , both P1's were widely differrent . Forgetting to change the P1 , I couldn't reason why my Q128 cut out at 10mph. Reason beng P1 was set too low as was on the Bafang setting.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks Nealh.
The motor is a 328rpm 128H cst. They give this a gear ratio of 8.1, so is this the figure I multiply with 16 to get P1?
I get this to be 129/130.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I took the bike out to Pembrey Park for a noodle round empty car parks.
The loss of weight and motor diameter has made a huge difference to handling, especially at low speed. The motor is quiet and loads less vibration than the Dillinger.
P1 has been set to 130 and speed registration seems to be working correctly, at least in comparison to my wifes bike - questionable accuracy but near enough for now. Wattage in level 1 was in the region of 60-100watts. On level 5 bike went smoothly to 15.5mph then wattage backed off from (I spotted a max wattage of around 650). I will look to increase the cut off speed a smidge and look at maximum current.
Hydraulic brake switch is currently held in place by some pretty effective double sided tape, magnet by blutack and cable tie temporarily. Positions prooved now need to find best permanent fix.

Thanks to all who have helped throughout this conversion. As well as learming to ride a totally different bike form, I've built my first wheel and pushed my garden shed engineering abilities a bit further. I maybe 70 but I'm not retiring yet. :D

Reactions: saneagle and sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
130 should be ok if 8.1 is the ratio, one can never be sure what the correct ratio is when listed.

AliExp simply lists 10.5 for both rpm's.

Last edited: