That's Cheating!

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
As I read it . Cyclists can use footpaths unless local bylaws prohibit. The ones I've used have some vague signage . But certainly no mention of cycling being prohibited.

The first couple of gates were the long metal ones that enable you to manoeuvre a bike in and through. Certainly way more room than any walker would need. It was only as I got deeper into it that I had to lift the bike. Perhaps the council ran out of money or interest.

I don't go quick and I say hi so I don't think I'm annoying anyone. As for laws . I've gone all my life worrying about motoring rules laws and regs. I'm on a bike now. They can do one. Nothing effects my licence or insurance. If I want to ride on a pavement with my little lad for 5 minutes to the park . Back streets with no pedestrians around. I'm going to.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
there will always be someone. often a white privileged middle-class hobbyist that is just bristling with indignation looking.for an argument. There's a retired couple 3 doors down that ring a bell to ward of squirrels in their garden. Insist on taking two spaces in the road. And shout at any and every unsuspecting driver that encroaches on to their blocked paved driveway. No-one talks to them of course. I can see their side door from my front garden. His next door neighbour a working single lady with kids was being dropped off after a kids party and had brought some home. I could see him literally hoping with excitement on his doorstep waiting for one of those kids to step foot on his driveway while the mums chatted.

They did and as he came down the drive to tell them not too I told everyone what he had been up to. I'm afraid that's the sort of response busy bodies will get from me.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
When you watch Leighs videos you can see him leave the path and go on the grass all the time. It was one of the things that made be splash a bit of extra cash. Using an ebike means you can get out of the way easier and give way easier.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
When you watch Leighs videos you can see him leave the path and go on the grass all the time. It was one of the things that made be splash a bit of extra cash. Using an ebike means you can get out of the way easier and give way easier.
It's even better in the Summer, when the place isn't a bog. :)

I've been biking around that 8 mile long country park for over 40 years, on and off, and only in the last year have I come to realise that I didn't know the half of it.

Although, even that can upset some folks. Look at the gobsmacked face on this old battle-axe, in the first minute of this video. She can't even bring herself to return our morning greets. :D

Like your block paving guy, some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining. :rolleyes:

Greets.jpg

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I read it . Cyclists can use footpaths unless local bylaws prohibit. The ones I've used have some vague signage . But certainly no mention of cycling being prohibited.
I'm not in any way against you doing this, I merely mentioned that you could get challenged and the odds are the challenger would be in the right.

This appears to be the position:

"Footways are paths alongside roads set aside for pedestrians and it is an offence to cycle along them.

Footpaths, on the other hand, are stand-alone paths which include around 80% of public paths in the countryside as well as many urban paths supplementing the road network. In general it is not an offence to cycle on these, except where individual paths are subject to local bye-laws or traffic regulation orders."

In my experience most local authorities do have a byelaw banning cycling on footpaths, and often a variety of other public areas such as parks. Only rarely enforced though.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Well it's all good to know. I appreciate the info. I will just freak them out by telling them it's my 2nd time round and they should be more worried by the two shady looking foreign types hanging around and smoking foreign cigarettes by the next style.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's even better in the Summer, when the place isn't a bog. :)

I've been biking around that 8 mile long country park for over 40 years, on and off, and only in the last year have I come to realise that I didn't know the half of it.

Although, even that can upset some folks. Look at the gobsmacked face on this old battle-axe, in the first minute of this video. She can't even bring herself to return our morning greets. :D

Like your block paving guy, some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining. :rolleyes:

View attachment 17403
I have noticed an increase in grumpy pedestrians.. mainly late middle age white men who have the I am walking in the middle of the path no matter what attitude.
As I squeeze past and they turn to offer an admonishment I beat them with a friendly thankyou as if they have done something to help me.. they don't often have an answer to that.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I tend to do exactly the same. Nice one. ;)

Although, that's just because you're a cheating bike-rider. Not a cheating ebike-rider. :p

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
It must have been a lovely darling buds sort of life to be able to get so worked up over such pleasant situations as a walker passing near to a cyclist. Some people don't know how lucky they are. So a friendly reminder that no one is ever really safe I find deflates some of that pomposity.

"Have you seen a big brown bull mastiff? Chap up there's in bits. I'm trying to find it". "No no, he's friendly just stay still if he runs at you and let him swerve or he will have you over".

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
I have ridden in my local country park for over 45 Years, I am not supposed to, I haven't hit anyone yet, and I will continue to do so until I am unfit to ride
I am much too old (58) to really give a flying **** what the miserable b***** think , as the penguins say in madagascar "just smile and wave" and the folk will think you are nuts :rolleyes:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I passed I biker who appeared to be my age on a long climb. At the top I waited for him to congratulated him on his effort and suggest he might consider a bike like mine.
His face was bright red with sweat running of his nose and his breathing was such that I thought he might be having a heart attack, and when he finally regained the power of speech he said that riding his bike was much more fun..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
His face was bright red with sweat running of his nose and his breathing was such that I thought he might be having a heart attack, and when he finally regained the power of speech he said that riding his bike was much more fun..
Masochism can be so enjoyable! :D

Seriously though, enjoyment can also be had from a sense of achievement. Well into my sixties I had that sense of achievement as a very capable unassisted rider in the hilly North Downs, but I can never have that same sense when riding assisted bikes since then. I have to share that with the designer!

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Masochism can be so enjoyable! :D

Seriously though, enjoyment can also be had from a sense of achievement. Well into my sixties I had that sense of achievement as a very capable unassisted rider in the hilly North Downs, but I can never have that same sense when riding assisted bikes since then. I have to share that with the designer!
We had a chat about the pros and cons and he was very interested in the tech involved but said he wasn't old enough to to need one yet.. fair point but it made me think of several older people I know who say the same thing about glasses.. I dont need them as my eyesight is perfect when in reality 70 year olds with perfect vision must be few and far between. For example when I show them something in the paper or magazine they hold it at arms length and squint at it.. I say why don't you get some glasses.. response is something like.. I dont need then, i am ok with distance so am fit to drive, I just can't read small print..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We had a chat about the pros and cons and he was very interested in the tech involved but said he wasn't old enough to to need one yet.. fair point but it made me think of several older people I know who say the same thing about glasses.. I dont need them as my eyesight is perfect when in reality 70 year olds with perfect vision must be few and far between. For example when I show them something in the paper or magazine they hold it at arms length and squint at it.. I say why don't you get some glasses.. response is something like.. I dont need then, i am ok with distance so am fit to drive, I just can't read small print..
I agree, that sort of attitude is silly, but it certainly doesn't apply to me. When I first needed help with pulling a trailer I readily adopted an e-bike at 67, and eventually switched to only e-bikes at 70.

As for eyesight, I regularly checked my own and when it was becoming evident that age cataracts were developing, I didn't wait until they were bad, which the NHS does before correcting.

Instead I went private in 2012 and had both eyes corrected with a monovision system that gives me 6/6 (metric, previously 20/20) vision in long sight with the ability to read virtually anything, including small print, without glasses. In fact my eyesight is actually better than when in my teens and very short sighted in one eye!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I agree, that sort of attitude is silly, but it certainly doesn't apply to me. When I first needed help with pulling a trailer I readily adopted an e-bike at 67, and eventually switched to only e-bikes at 70.

As for eyesight, I regularly checked my own and when it was becoming evident that age cataracts were developing, I didn't wait until they were bad, which the NHS does before correcting.

Instead I went private in 2012 and had both eyes corrected with a monovision system that gives me 6/6 (metric, previously 20/20) vision in long sight with the ability to read virtually anything, including small print, without glasses. In fact my eyesight is actually better than when in my teens and very short sighted in one eye!
Ah.
Eye sight intervention eh!
Isn't that cheating?