xiongda questions

D

Deleted member 4366

So what are the other cassette and disc brake rear hub motor alternatives? I realise there are tons but ones people have good positive experience of.
I haven't found a bad one yet. It's only a case of selecting the one that meets your needs.

Reactions: handbaked

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I think it would be worth taking the sideplate off and cleaning the three rollers. There must be a bit of dirt in there holding back a roller.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Well I must admit Bonnie via alibaba is spot on with quick replies about the xiongda. Also with all the info I am asking. Unlike many of the other alibaba sellers I have used for non ebike purposes.

I have just bought a doner bike today. Old dmr jump/trail type hard tail. Got a bit nostalgic when I saw it come up due to bikes mates and i used to ride as kids. Hydraulic brakes front and back too but needs tlc and is not quite the'efficient hybrid' I was planning.

So I'm steering towards purchasing the xiongda still tho now tempted by a 500w bafang cst/bpm. I'm guessing the wh/m will be a lot more on the bafang though which means a larger/heavier battery to do the miles I want plus the hub itself also seems to be heavier than the xiongda. It's the juggle between power and efficiency as many of you have already pointed out!

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
This is a reply I have just got from Bonnie regarding controllers so far...

" two different combos here:

1, KT controller 21USD, KT LCD 24USD.

2.Lishui controller 33USD, Bigstone LCD 24USD

More quite and faster gear changing"

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you are going to buy an XD motor, go for the Lishui controller and Bigstone LCD. They are better made than the KT parts.

D

Deleted member 4366

You won't see much difference in power consumption between the two motors if you ride them at the same speed. The CST otor will have more mid-range and top-end power. If you're over 90kg, the CST would probably be better powerwise, but it's nowhere neer as quiet as the Xiongda.

I have the KT controller. How they can get quieter or better gear-changing, I can't imagine, because mine seems unbeatable. The Lishui has the manual gear-change switch, where you can switch to low-speed at any power level, which can be useful in certain circumstances. I had it on my last one, but don't really miss it on the one I have now because I only use low-speed for hill-climbing, but the switch is more convenient, though it means something extra on your handlebars.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Well I am a light rider so that does not come into it. Also iv have recently moved and there seems to be a lot of hills round here so as much as I'm a thrill seeker and would like extra top end power I think a high torque climber is going to be better suited. I also like the idea of it being super quiet and stealthy :)

How much wider does the rear triangle have to be spread when using disc brakes? And I presume this means changing an inner tube becomes a massive pain....

D

Deleted member 4366

The frame has to be spread about 10mm (only if you have a disc brake), then it's no more difficult to change the wheel than any other rear hub-motor

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I thought it was a cassette hub but I just got this reply from bonnie.... " We don't have cassette version, unless your fork is 155mm open size.

We provide freewheel version normally, 8 freewheels maximum."

So is it the cassette version you have d8veh and this is why the drop outs need widening? I think a standard width is 135mm so more like 20mm extra needed if so...

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Are you running a 7 speed freewheel? I see there is the odd 8sp available which would be preferable as im likely to only have 1 front chainring. Though I guess using an 8sp will require the rear triangle to be widened even further :-/

D

Deleted member 4366

From 7 speed to 8 speed makes 1 mm difference. I have 8 speed on my 48v motor and 7 speed on my 36v one.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Fair enough. 8sp will be what I go for then. Thanks for the advice. Just reading into how to widen the triangle as that is my biggest concern now. Once I'm happy I can do that then I reckon it is time to place the order!

D

Deleted member 4366

The easiest way is with a car jack. If the brake mount becomes angled too much, you can put a 6mm washer or two between it and the caliper adapter at the rear.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I was thinking a car jack would be best. Hoping my wife has one in her car!
i used a big g clamp - squeezed the rotating foot inside one horizontal dropout and levered teh round bottom of teh crank against teh other iinside of teh opposite triangle, incidentally, i went for an 8 speed freewheel on a bpm because teh smallest sprocket is an 11 tooth and i was having fantasies of relaxed somoewhat high speed (20mph plus) cruising

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Did you achieve your 20mph cruising fantasy with an 11t free wheel? What size front chainring are you using?

D

Deleted member 4366

How fast you go depends on the winding speed of a hub-motor. There's lots of different versions of the BPM. Some can't go past 15 mph. The 36v Xiongda spins to 20 mph, but power drops off after 18 mph, so 20 mph cruising wouldn't be easy, though it's perfect on the 48v one if you don't mind using up about 25wh per mile.

With 48T/11T gearing, my tired old legs can cruise at about 23 mph (with help from the motor) and just touch 35 mph for a short burst.