xiongda questions

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I was planning on 44-48t front ring as well only have single ring on front. Good to know you can achieve those speeds with those ratios. Does power drop of on the 48v one too at 18mph? I presume not. ...

D

Deleted member 4366

No. It maintains good torque up to 20 mph, then drops off, so 20 mph cruising is possible.

Reactions: handbaked

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Have you bought a motor from xiongda recently? I understand they have made some changes to the motor since it first started being purchased by us westerners.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. I have the latest 48v one with the sine-wave controller. It's almost silent. You can only hear it in low gear or in high gear when going slow on level 5.

D

Deleted member 4366

No. They have a new grease now, but they changed something in the motor so that it doesn't resonate any more.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I was planning on 44-48t front ring as well only have single ring on front. Good to know you can achieve those speeds with those ratios. Does power drop of on the 48v one too at 18mph? I presume not. ...
I have two 48volt Xiongdas,the power drops at 18 mph on both of them.
So after discussion with D8veh,I asked Bonnie at Xiongda.Here is a copy of my question and her reply:

I read on endless sphere that people have slightly more top speed with the 48volt motor than me.Some peolpe report top speed 35kmh.
My Xiongda has a top speed about 28 kmh.Is there diffrent windings? 35 kmh would be perfect for me.
And there is a new sinewave controller for 48volt also?

Yes, we made some 48V 35km/h, but we don't suggest that fast, not good for the motor.
The motor may burnt down, if client is ok with that, we can make it fast.
DO you want a 35km/h kit?
There is no "new sinewave" controller, we just update some small programs.
However,we have Lishui controller as optional choice now, their controller and display is more expensive,
but the with shorter gear changing time, more smooth running, lower voice, the shake of the gear changing is gone.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Oooh. Nice one 1boris. I did read on ES that people were saying 35kmh was possible which did not tie up with what bonnie had told me regarding the current 48v model. I guess that if you dont thrash it at 35kmph all the time its not going to wreck the motor much quicker. Am I wrong in ny assumption there? It would be nice to have the headroom for extra speed if I needed it.... do you use the lishui controller?

D

Deleted member 4366

I ordered a Kunteng sine-wave controller, and I'm pretty sure that's what I have. It's definitely a Kunteng., who make sine-wave controllers.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Do either of you know if in fact the motors do break down quicker? I presume you both have the 'standard' slightly slower motor?

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
Do either of you know if in fact the motors do break down quicker? I presume you both have the 'standard' slightly slower motor?
Are you asking if the 35kmh would break down faster?. I think it depends on your weight and terrain.My motors have been hot sometimes,but I am 105 kg and the west coast of Norway is VERY hilly
I personally wouldnt have the 35 kmh because I wouldnt like to loose any torque.I actually soldered the shunt to get about 100w more current (700w).

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I would go for an eclipsebikes battery as they're Samsung cells, in the UK (so well placed to help if there are any problems), and the best-priced by some way. And one can pay by credit card (unlike Chinese sellers who are more expensive after shipping and customs) which means more protection still.
It would be nice if they replied to e-mails asking about shipping... I don't want to register with a site untill I have chosen to buy from it.

Tony

D

Deleted member 4366

I did a stress test on the first 36v one by turning the current up from 15A to 20A, then made it drag my 100kg round up all our steepest hills, some of which are more than what the average cyclist are likely to encounter. For about 100 miles I increased the voltage to 48v to see how it coped. I've done about 1200 miles on my 48v one over the same terrain. I'm now back on my 36v one, running at 48v, which has done another 300 miles like that. That's about 2500 miles with no problems other than a resonance noise on the first 36v one, which was solved by re-greasing. I would say that they're pretty robust.

I heard of one that broke a planetary gear, but this was when they were experimenting with faster gear changing. The gear had snapped in two, so I would say that it broke from the impact load of changing direction without a pause or ramp up of power.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the moment of danger happens when one clutch is released then the other is engaged. If both are engaged at the same time (totally unlikely but still possible malfunctioning), you will have a sudden death situation.
The two clutches are adjacent but move in opposite directions. If there is a loose debris in between (eg one of the 6 small springs), you will also have a sudden death situation.

D

Deleted member 4366

It would be nice if they replied to e-mails asking about shipping... I don't want to register with a site untill I have chosen to buy from it.

Tony
They're a gift - about $170 for the kit and $85 shipping makes about £170, to which you should add about £30 duty, so that's £200. What are you waiting for?

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I personally wouldnt have the 35 kmh because I wouldnt like to loose any torque.I actually soldered the shunt to get about 100w more current (700w).
That's a good point about loss of torque.

What is this about the 'shunt'? I have seen it mentioned in many posts but what exactly is it and what is the advantage of this soldering job? I am handy with a soldering iron so am intrigued.

I have just put in my order. I have gone for a 30kmph motor with lishui controller and bigstone lcd. It will be a little while until I have sorted out the tlc on the donor bike and saved some cash up for the battery! Am pretty excited though :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I wouldn't worry about the shunt on the Lishui controller. It'll give you plenty of power as it is. Just get a 15AH battery to go with the kit.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Just trying to choose a battery for the setup. Was looking at the 11.6ah eclipse battery but the trouble I have is that I do not have bottle cage mounts. So now trying to find a good quality shrink wrapped pack that I can put in a frame bag maybe....

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011