£270 Bike

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Well, well! I had expected the verdict to be RUBBISH! I wondered at the price if it could be all bad but some things are expensive at any price.

I speak French - the stuff that people have said here re the spec (I hadn't looked at it myself) is as they say it is.

From the specs, the battery is an 8ah lead/ acid, 24v, the max load on the carrier is 10kg and overall for the bike 110kg. It will take 300 charging cycles and takes 7 to 8 hours to charge. Range is 30km - but in forums people seem to say that they expect more like 25km.

One person complains about the range - they live in Alpes-Maritimes! - that made me chuckle. The motor is described as 24v 250w brushless. The battery is removable and lockable.

Re the saddle, it says yes, you can replace it but it must have a tilting mechanism like the one fitted or you cannot get at the battery. They say that, to date, they have not found another one that will do this.

The locking battery, someone has complained that they could not find the keys to the battery lock. The reply is that the key and spares are firmly clipped in during packaging for despatch by the manufacturer and are specifically checked for their presence before sending out from the factory.

You will either have to find them or organise an exchange via the manufacturer since it cannot be an error by the shop. (The French are rather more robust in their dealings with one another than the English are).

Thanks for that Lemmy - thanks for the heads up in the first place and the french translations - very funny re living in in the mountains and complaining - ha ha ha.

Interesting to understand about french shops and how they work.

Pity, I rather liked the look of the lithium Roma, but an e-bike is not for looking at, its for riding.....sigh...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Re the saddle, it says yes, you can replace it but it must have a tilting mechanism like the one fitted or you cannot get at the battery. They say that, to date, they have not found another one that will do this.
There appears to be only one Chinese company making a tilting mechanism for this purpose. It's steel, heavy and only supplied to manufacturers.

Many e-bikes don't have them so they are not essential. In these cases the battery is removed by unclamping the stem and removing saddle and stem together. To give examples of bikes where the saddle obstructs battery removal, Wisper don't have the tilter, eZee do.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Interesting!

Wonder where the French bikes are made then..... :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interesting!

Wonder where the French bikes are made then..... :p
They're mostly either Chinese made or assembled from parts made in China and other Oriental locations. About all that's made in Europe these days in respect of bicycles are some upper end frames, forks, rims and some tyres. Even the SRAM gears production has just been shifted to the Orient now.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Many thanks Flecc - you are a cycling encyclopedia! :D :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
About all that's made in Europe these days in respect of bicycles are some upper end frames, forks, rims and some tyres
Like my Brompton and Moulton fames :)

Regards

Jerry