48v to 52v battery

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Hi guys
I'm trying to find a company, or someone in the UK that can upgrade My 48v 13ah dolphin style battery to a 52v pack. Also would this upgrade in turn up the ah rating -surely it must right? I recently read an article that suggests you should try an make your volts + ah equation = the grand total of your motor watts. In My case 1000watt, at present I'm only achieving 48v ×13ah= 624Wh. 380watts doing nothing, unused! Can anyone offer any advice, or have I got this equation all wrong.

PS: My controller is 48v –30AH Max- 18AH rated Fully Matched Intelligent Controller

Cheers guys.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
D

Deleted member 4366

I recently read an article that suggests you should try an make your volts + ah equation = the grand total of your motor watts.
People write all sorts of crap on the internet. Also, people take things written out of context, then reproduce it somewhere else. You can have as many Ah as you want. It only affects range. What's more important is the discharge rate of the cells in the battery when you want to go to 1000w.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
You are right, you have it wrong...

Read this: https://www.electricbike.com/52v-battery-3077-fet/

Then come back and ask questions.
Wow what an informative link, thank you so much for that. You did say come back to you with any questions, so here goes.

1. For My 1000watt motor, the equation I'm now using is 48v × 18amp or 30amp peak to get a realistic total.

2. Nothing in the article has suggested any negatives on upgrading to 52v, would You agree on that? Also if I do upgrage, is it possible to find someone to upgrade My existing battery pack, or is it wait 3years or so, and go for 52v then? I really would value you thoughts and advise on this.

3. If you add 1 more series of cells ie: 13s to 14s to achieve the 48v to 52v upgrade, then surely you increase the total ah of the battery pack almost as a by-product of simply adding more cells.

Again thanks again for you help on this issue.

PS: I'm trying to learn all this at break neck speed so please bare Me.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
People write all sorts of crap on the internet. Also, people take things written out of context, then reproduce it somewhere else. You can have as many Ah as you want. It only affects range. What's more important is the discharge rate of the cells in the battery when you want to go to 1000w.
Thanks d8veh
I've since done some serious swatting up on this, please see My reply to (anotherkiwi) and is there anything you can add to help Me on this matter. I've had advice off you in the recent past and really value it.

Cheers d8veh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You have a 13S BMS. Most likely, you,d need a new one for 14S, so quite a lot of wiring to convert. I guess a battery speciallist could do it for about £100.

The next hurdle to jump is the controller's low voltage cut-off, which will be too low for 14S. It's adjustable through software settings on some controllers, byt only if you have an LCD or other programming interface.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
2. As said in the article a 52v battery is a good choice for your second bike/battery, the difference isn't worth investing heaps to upgrade the existing. It is for private land use only of course...

3. No, your increase the voltage adding in series, you need to add more cells in parallel to increase Ah.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Is there room in a dolphin pack for another string of cells?
Hello Mate
And thanks for your swift reply. I've not tempered with it, but I was under the impression that all dolphin cases are the same size, and with( Luna) selling a 52v 17.5ah dolphin battery, I just presumed they were a standard size.

Thanks again pete

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us a pic of the case, 09 dolphin ultimately it is maxed out to accept the most cells it can hold and probably 4P only
What cells and layout is your current battery.

Most a dolphin can take is likely 56 cells so a 4p config, capacity wise you can only increase by 1ah though using better cells (probably).

Increase in ah is easy with a new build or new battery all you need is cells with higher mah or increase cells in parallel though the latter is dependant on the case size used. The more cells the heavier the battery.

48v 13s legal, 52v 14s not legal.

For more real world voltage and capacity you will need to use a larger whale/shark case.
Jimmy at BGA/Insat is your man for the job using GA or MJ1 cells 10a cells. For higher amp rated cells then 30Q or HG2.

Last edited:

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
2. As said in the article a 52v battery is a good choice for your second bike/battery, the difference isn't worth investing heaps to upgrade the existing. It is for private land use only of course...

3. No, your increase the voltage adding in series, you need to add more cells in parallel to increase Ah.
Thank you so much for all your help.
Bizarrely this conversion kit is My 2nd ebike, so it's the 3rd ebike/battery 52v upgrade in My case!! Thanks Mate.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
You have a 13S BMS. Most likely, you,d need a new one for 14S, so quite a lot of wiring to convert. I guess a battery speciallist could do it for about £100.

The next hurdle to jump is the controller's low voltage cut-off, which will be too low for 14S. It's adjustable through software settings on some controllers, byt only if you have an LCD or other programming interface.
As always thanks d8veh for sharing your knowledge. Incidentally I have an LCD display as part My conversion kit build. Is that what you meant?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Those Luna batteries must be in a bigger case then. 52v 14s5p using 70 3500mAh cells would give you the 17.5Ah.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
3. If you add 1 more series of cells ie: 13s to 14s to achieve the 48v to 52v upgrade, then surely you increase the total ah of the battery pack almost as a by-product of simply adding more cells.
Afraid not, adding cells in series only increases voltage, adding cells in parallel only increases Ah capacity

Each series stack of cells only has the capacity of one of its cells, but the accumulated voltage of all of them.

Each parallel group of cells only has the voltage of one of them but the accumulated capacity of all of them.

P.S. Crossed with AK's reply.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Show us a pic of the case, 09 dolphin ultimately it is maxed out to accept the most cells it can hold and probably 4P only
What cells and layout is your current battery.

Most a dolphin can take is 56 cells so a 4p config, capacity wise you can only increase by 1ah though using better cells (probably).

Increase in ah is easy with a new build or new battery all you need is cells with higher mah or increase cells in parallel though the latter is dependant on the case size used. The more cells the heavier the battery.

48v 13s legal, 52v 14s not legal.
Hi Nealh
The only info I have on My dolphin battery is as follows

48v 13ah Samsung cells
I recently purchased this has a full conversion kit from Electric bike conversion Ltd (EBC) I am very very pleased with the kit and indeed the performance, but then I stumbled on this article regarding 48v -52v upgrade! And who doesn't want more power out of almost the very same kit!
And yes it is for off road use. I have a Freego 36v 16ah folder for road use.

Cheers mate. And here's a photo of the battery pack. Cheers

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Mate
And thanks for your swift reply. I've not tempered with it, but I was under the impression that all dolphin cases are the same size, and with( Luna) selling a 52v 17.5ah dolphin battery, I just presumed they were a standard size.

Thanks again pete

Although Luna are good they are not magicians, max capacity for a dolphin in 14s will be 14ah.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hello Mate

Thanks again pete

You can't get 52v 17.5Ah in a dolphin case. I think you've seen the whale case.

I think I've seen 52v in a Dolphin case, but I know that 52 cells are a tight fit. It might be possible to squeeze the extra four in if you had a small BMS, though you'd need high discharge rate cells, which would limit you to 12Ah nominal, which wouls be closer to 10Ah because of the high current you'd be drawing.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Afraid not, adding cells in series only increases voltage, adding cells in parallel only increases Ah capacity

Each series stack of cells only has the capacity of one of its cells, but the accumulated voltage of all of them.

Each parallel group of cells only has the voltage of one of them but the accumulated capacity of all of them.

P.S. Crossed with AK's reply.
Cheers buddy.
I wished one of you guys was My close neighbour!

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
You can't get 52v 17.5Ah in a dolphin case. I think you've seen the whale case.

I think I've seen 52v in a Dolphin case, but I know that 52 cells are a tight fit. It might be possible to squeeze the extra four in if you had a small BMS, though you'd need high discharge rate cells, which would limit you to 12Ah nominal, which wouls be closer to 10Ah because of the high current you'd be drawing.
Cheers again d8veh
Just checked LunaCycles site. You are indeed right - how did I ever doubt you? It is 52v 13.5ah dolphin pack.