A Cyclamatic conundrum?

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Ah , semantics.

I think it probably depends on which grammatical rules you think it contravenes. The most obvious mis-use stems from the conception that every plural deserves a comma - eg 'insult's'(sic)

I do however believe that since the insertion of a comma denotes either a missing letter or letters (can't) or the possessive form ( the latter being the more common abuse) then a generalisation is warranted. If I have generalised inappropriately then I stand corrected. I would refer to my earlier comment about inebriation (and a degree of non-habitual intolerance) ;)

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Ah , semantics.

I think it probably depends on which grammatical rules you think it contravenes. The most obvious mis-use stems from the conception that every plural deserves a comma - eg 'insult's'(sic)

I do however believe that since the insertion of a comma denotes either a missing letter or letters (can't) or the possessive form ( the latter being the more common abuse) then a generalisation is warranted. If I have generalised inappropriately then I stand corrected. I would refer to my earlier comment about inebriation (and a degree of non-habitual intolerance) ;)
The apostophe in the possessive form is also to show missing letters, it's a shortening of has.
"Jack has ebike."

arkwright

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2010
Jeez,

Just registered on here and thought I'd joined a playschool forum after reading the insults directed at ommebike.

FWIW, he didn't deserve all that crap, imo.

Anyway, hello to all

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Jeez,

Just registered on here and thought I'd joined a playschool forum after reading the insults directed at ommebike.

Anyway, hello to all
Onmebike was contentious from the first post and got ignored for a while until he complained nobody was replying, I thought the responses were polite.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
The apostophe in the possessive form is also to show missing letters, it's a shortening of has.
"Jack has ebike."
But not in the case of pronouns. The three possessive pronouns "his", "hers", and "its" have no apostrophes, since they are pronouns and not contractions of "he's", "her's", and "it's". And the basic plural, as themutiny has said, does not take an apostrophe. This mistake is commonly called the Grocers' (note the plural possessive there) Apostrophe, as in "apple's", "pear's", etc.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Jeez,

Anyway, hello to all
Hello Arkwright, welcome to the forum, and I hope your initial impression of it changes with time.

It's normally a very friendly place where newcomers are treated from the outset with the same respect that all other members get, but just once in a while someone comes in with a combative or unduly critical approach leading to friction.

It's only natural for existing members to resent that since we don't want this place to deteriorate to the low standards so common elswhere on the web. As ever online, the expression of that resentment can escalate.

Anyway, to more interesting things, let us know if you have an e-bike or your interests in the subject.

regards, flecc

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
Flecc, That looks impressive. Never heard of that one before. Im just running the usual Microsoft bloatware -XP and the ultra secure IE6 :eek:

So before anyone else says it Flecc works in Speedos. :D
poor IE6 it done quite well considering it been out of support for ages and did have it's place in browsers history.
(i may be the last IE sympathiser :) )

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
poor IE6 it done quite well considering it been out of support for ages and did have it's place in browsers history.
(i may be the last IE sympathiser :) )
It's looking increasingly that way with the drift away from IE.

I'm also a Firefox user having used Mozilla from the outset, and have used other browsers in the past, including Opera.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
But not in the case of pronouns. The three possessive pronouns "his", "hers", and "its" have no apostrophes, since they are pronouns and not contractions of "he's", "her's", and "it's". And the basic plural, as themutiny has said, does not take an apostrophe. This mistake is commonly called the Grocers' (note the plural possessive there) Apostrophe, as in "apple's", "pear's", etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
after months of not understanding about e-bikes... many questions on here and bundles of messages to Flecc are testiment to my e-bike ignorance, and then when im getting a grasp of two wheels ,a battery and a saddle..first people start talking in foreign language which is bad, but even WORSE its an English course for people with degree's...:eek: :eek: im not totally sure which e-bike catorgory this should be in either...:rolleyes: .
at the end of the day.......................its night.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
after months of not understanding about e-bikes... many questions on here and bundles of messages to Flecc are testiment to my e-bike ignorance, and then when im getting a grasp of two wheels ,a battery and a saddle..first people start talking in foreign language which is bad, but even WORSE its an English course for people with degree's...:eek: :eek: im not totally sure which e-bike catorgory this should be in either...:rolleyes: .
at the end of the day.......................its night.
Almost everybody's English can be corrected, as long as someone isn't being picked on then it's a bit of fun. I usually end up kicking myself when I make a mistake correcting someone else.

BTW it should be "foreign languages". ;)

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Hello Arkwright, welcome to the forum, and I hope your initial impression of it changes with time.

It's normally a very friendly place where newcomers are treated from the outset with the same respect that all other members get, but just once in a while someone comes in with a combative or unduly critical approach leading to friction.

It's only natural for existing members to resent that since we don't want this place to deteriorate to the low standards so common elswhere on the web. As ever online, the expression of that resentment can escalate.

Anyway, to more interesting things, let us know if you have an e-bike or your interests in the subject.

regards, flecc

Without wanting to start another argument and send the abuse flying again, I find your comment's inaccurate. A brief look back over previous post's is all thats needed to confirm this.
My opinion that buying cheap had its place or wasn't always the fast track to disaster was received as the ramblings of a fool by some.
When I suggested that cheap chinese imports shared many components with more expensive models the s**t hit the fan. Yet nobody proved otherwise.
When trying to lighten the mood with harmless banter, I was faced with personal abuse.
Paranoia that I was a SportsHQ mole was laughable, but on reflection I can maybe see why.
Maybe my presence here has exposed one seemingly bad point about the forum which I noticed as an outsider before signing up.
Unfortunately, a select few seem to control the forum. Disagree with one and you take them all on. Bit like schoolboy bullies.
Its too selective and opposing views or opinions have no place here, irrespective of how valid they may be.
Old timer posed a question that never got answered. Why show links to cheap products if all you can do is rubbish them? Don't these businesses sponser the forum.
When I'm proved wrong I'll be the first to admit it.
You admit in your post. If somebody comes on with a combative? or unduly critical approach it will lead to friction. In other words, disagree or air an opinion we don't like and we'll shout you down. No room for argument in other word's.

Herb

Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2009
Onmebike, I do feel that Flecc is allowed and should be encouraged to express an opinion and to be honest, combative or unduly critical is a very fair comment when you read back over the posts.

I feel strongly about personal comments but Combative or Critical are terms of endearment in most open forums.

Yesterday I was refered to as small co*k. Today I am pleased to say I have far greater member (co*k)

Sorry, I inteded to say

Today I am pleased to say I have far greater understanding of the members

Herb

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Without wanting to start another argument and send the abuse flying again, I find your comment's inaccurate.
Starting an argument appears to be what you could do. In all honesty I didn't even have you in mind when greeting Arkwright with a generic explanation, but if it appears I did and I've offended you, I apologise.

Maybe my presence here has exposed one seemingly bad point about the forum which I noticed as an outsider before signing up.
Unfortunately, a select few seem to control the forum. Disagree with one and you take them all on. Bit like schoolboy bullies.
Its too selective and opposing views or opinions have no place here, irrespective of how valid they may be.
A select few certainly do not control the forum since there is no ranking. I have previously been offered admin authority but have refused it, prefering to be one among equals. The honorary title I have was given given to me without any request on my part and it has no rank.

Had you been in this forum over the full three years of its existence you would have seen many occasions when I've stood alone against a cheap e-bike and got a real hammering from many members vehemently posting against my opinion. I still remember one painful thread concerning Sustain Cycles back in 2007 when it felt like I had the entire forum against me, and like you I felt a bit hurt, but I just accepted that this happens and didn't complain.

Why show links to cheap products if all you can do is rubbish them? Don't these businesses sponser the forum.
Since when should opinions be controlled by advertisers? That would be undesirable in the extreme. With your comments you make it appear that you cannot abide anyone disagreeing with you. If someone thinks a product isn't worthwhile or suspect, they are entitled to say so, regardless of whether they are right or wrong in their judgement, just as you are entitled to an opposite opinion. It's for readers of the opinions to form a judgement for their own purposes and not for you to attempt to censor or even criticise those opinions you disagree with. There isn't any need for you to desperately attempt to justify your opinion, it's your opinion, it's valid to you and it's right that it should be posted to be seen by others.

To think otherwise is intolerance.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Starting an argument appears to be what you could do. In all honesty I didn't even have you in mind when greeting Arkwright with a generic explanation, but if it appears I did and I've offended you, I apologise.

A select few certainly do not control the forum since there is no ranking. I have previously been offered admin authority but have refused it, prefering to be one among equals. The honorary title I have was given given to me without any request on my part and it has no rank.

Had you been in this forum over the full three years of its existence you would have seen many occasions when I've stood alone against a cheap e-bike and got a real hammering from many members vehemently posting against my opinion. I still remember one painful thread concerning Sustain Cycles back in 2007 when it felt like I had the entire forum against me, and like you I felt a bit hurt, but I just accepted that this happens and didn't complain.

Since when should opinions be controlled by advertisers? That would be undesirable in the extreme. With your comments you make it appear that you cannot abide anyone disagreeing with you. If someone thinks a product isn't worthwhile or suspect, they are entitled to say so, regardless of whether they are right or wrong in their judgement, just as you are entitled to an opposite opinion. It's for readers of the opinions to form a judgement for their own purposes and not for you to attempt to censor or even criticise those opinions you disagree with. There isn't any need for you to desperately attempt to justify your opinion, it's your opinion, it's valid to you and it's right that it should be posted to be seen by others.

To think otherwise is intolerance.
I appreciate your reply and you've no need to apologise for hurting my feelings, my shoulders are broad. I've read everything you've written with interest and have a better understanding. Maybe I don't express myself in a way that most understand, written word is not a strongpoint and is often misinterpreted. An example of this would be my apparent ungratefulness at your enlarging the label. Without intending to offend I replied, its more than double, but thank's. Double meaning in size/area and not resolution.
I admit I was wrong to bait Eddeio by saying he dresses himself from Primark to afford his bike and on reflection I probably put his back up and started the personal abuse. I think that also annoyed you. I apologise for that because what I saw as a little humour was taken seriously.
Unlike many on here I see a bike as a bike, if the wheels turn and it gets you where your going its done its job. I don't see the experience concept that Eddeio talks about and so can't appreciate the expense of high end machine's.
I haven't even ridden my own yet and I've two. They were impulse buys and will get little use unless I get banned from driving. I'm a fair weather motorcyclist but hate wearing a crash helmet, so saw the ebike as an alternative.
A point you make regarding my not abiding anyone disagreeing with me. Thats the exact impression I was getting about others.
I fully agree with you that opinion's are nothing more than opinion's but if we all remain so rigid in our opinion's nothing move's anywhere and debate is worthless.
I'm big enough to apologise for any offence I may of inadvertantly caused, it was never intentional.
Now please get the punctuation crap of my thread cos I don't understand any of it.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Almost everybody's English can be corrected, as long as someone isn't being picked on then it's a bit of fun. I usually end up kicking myself when I make a mistake correcting someone else.

BTW it should be "foreign languages". ;)

i arnt doing foreign glasses at night school.:rolleyes:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Onmebike I would love to see some pics and a review of your SportsHQ bike. I can't remember if you brought the folder or not, but I would like to see a review of that and then compare it with the one that Dan purchased and wrote a review on recently.

I noticed the discount code does not work anymore.

Regards

Jerry