Another Ebike conversion kit death

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Cops don't care about delivery ebikes in any shape of form unless you REALLY **** them off and draw attention to yourself. If they started pulling them over then they would be making a rod for their own back given most cops are stupid lazy b@stards they just don't want the hassle....straight from horses mouth, a cop I used to regularly play cards with (one of the 1% that isn't an @reshole), though I do believe they are all 100% corrupt...

How often do we hear of hubs catching fire or controllers or displays? We don't so it's unfair to dismiss cheap matched Chinese ebike kits, none of them even come with batteries, it's always a separate purchase.

If ppl buy cheapo high powered battery packs/use mismatched chargers how is it different from buying a knock-off phone charger or laptop charger from ebay that is potentially more likely to cause a fire?

Case in point in posh hotel in Sorrento maybe 15yrs ago, my Nokia charger was dodgy so I bought cheapo replacement from street/beach vendor. Back in room plugged it in and by time came out shower it was smoking heavily and singed all around the wall socket...

If you try to do stuff on the cheap with electricity it's always eventually gonna end in tears...

Store the battery in a metal box with a smoke a heat / detector on top and store it near to a window or an alternative property EXIT door (not the main one). Keep thick gardening gloves beside box, any issues you can launch it.

How many ppl in UK die of fires started by the smoking cigarettes? Yet we don't police them...

Point being as in most things in life some common sense needs to be applied to ensure your gene pool continues.

Reactions: guerney and Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
we have had ppl post on this forum with batts that has been in a canal then wonder why when charging it smoke is coming out. :rolleyes:

then they throw it in the bin and this happens.:oops:

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

the vet is a better option atm

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Chargers that do that functionality, capacity check, cycling etc, have been around for a long time. They typically only do one 'battery' at a time, but that can be up to 12 series Lithium Polymer, ION, LiFePO4 and well as strings of NiCd, NiMh and lead acid too.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
So it would appear to be the case that you are less likely to have problems develop, if you buy your Ebike or kit from a reputable source. And not pick it because its the cheapest you could find -- OR WERE DIRECTED TOWARDS.
Local UK supplier versus cheapo far East, clearly most would assume the risk would be less from a repuatable UK supplier.

The significant issue however, is there seems to be little to no regulations on construction and sale of eBike batteries. Given the potential harm that could occur if they are stored or charged in block of flats you do wonder why.

There are regulations for the construction for most electrical stuff you buy in shops, you need to be registered to work on your own gas, there are regulations for doing home electrics etc. Lots of regulations designed to reduce risk of accidents and fires.

But for eBike batteries, where there is a well known fire risk, few to zero regulations, DIY builds by novices are supported and encouraged on-line etc.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hobbyists, manufacturers and sellers of cheap ebikes and conversion kits will be first against the wall if stringent regulations come into force; the majority of buyers will be priced out. Even this government recognises the need for cheap personal transportation, hence their insane and largely evaporated speculative plans to make those ridiculously dangerous ninja escooter pavement missiles legal.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
The significant issue however, is there seems to be little to no regulations on construction and sale of eBike batteries. Given the potential harm that could occur if they are stored or charged in block of flats you do wonder why.
What are the regulations for smoking in bed if you live in a block of flats?

Or you fall asleep with the oven on or candles lit?

Where do you draw the line?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The solution is compulsory product liability insurance. If the seller does not have adequate insurance, its directors are made to be personally liable.
At present, only manufacturers are obliged to have product liability. If you buy directly from a website, how would you know if you are covered?

Reactions: portals

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Aren't chargers supposed to switch to trickle charge after battery is full?
Manufacturer of a bike I bought demands battery is left on charge for 24h after it is full every few months if I remember manual well. If not then it would void the warranty. To be honest I have chickened out and didn't do it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Aren't chargers supposed to switch to trickle charge after battery is full?
Manufacturer of a bike I bought demands battery is left on charge for 24h after it is full every few months if I remember manual well. If not then it would void the warranty. To be honest I have chickened out and didn't do it.
Not to trickle charge, the charge should terminate when the battery is full. However if left switched on it can restart as part of the cell balancing by the battery's own management system (BMS).

Hence that stricture to leave it on for a long time occasionally to get the longest life from it. So long as you are indoors and awake that's ok, it doesn't have to be 24 hours. 16 hours from rising to bedtime during a day that you will be indoors with it all the time will be sufficient. If it does start balancing during that time it will shut down when balancing is finished.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The problem is batteries are at their most vulnerable state when 100% full. If your charger goes a little over the safe voltage, it can set the weakest cell block on fire. Cheap batteries are made with grade B or C cells. They are usually mixed together, their capacity can vary from one cell to the next and are usually relabeĺled. Basically, they buy grade B and C from the big producers and put their own brand on them.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
There is definitely a market and need for trustworthy supplier of good batteries in UK. Perhaps Woosh would like to fill that gap? At this moment we rely on what Chinese say about insides of batteries and somehow I don't trust a word of what they say.
At this moment most of us just have black boxes with stickers "do not open" on them. Just like Pandora boxes.

Personally I will put two DIY projects on high priority list:

1 Outdoor charging station - should be an easy fix. Plastic box and electric cable should do the trick.

2 Outdoor storage will be a bigger challenge, but is doable as well.

Better to be safe than sorry I guess...

Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mostly it is irrelivent whether the bike in question is a diy build or oem bought bike, what is in question imv is the poor safety approach that some take when charging without any monitoring.

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Some good points being made!

Given how ubiquitous ebikes are today and given this trend will only continue to grow exponentially in the coming years what I would like to see is a Public Information campaign from the government around the safety of Li-Ion similar to the smoking/couch fire one we have had in UK for years.

TV, press and online advertising, short and sharp explaining the danger of knock-off batteries, poor quality imported batteries and how to charge properly (matched charger and attended), with some nice fires and horror stories to illustrate.

I'm sure some here will remember the 'the water was only 2 feet deep' Public Information adverts on the telly from the 70s, there were other ones too like 'Charlie Says' and the frisbee electrocution one.

I swore at a very young age (maybe 6), that I would NEVER jump in to water that I didn't know how deep it was or what was below the surface, served me well over the yrs.

A similar 'shock' add re Li-Ion would save lives....?

This advert scared the ABSOLUTE S H 1 T out of me as a kid...
(Watch out for the Saville bomb though clunk click every trip)