Another Ebike conversion kit death

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Perhaps heat activated conveyor belts could propel flaming batteries out of automatically opening windows? The Guerney FlamingBatteryBegonerator™ is invented. :D Heat, not smoke sensing... because you don't want your ebike battery ejected at speed through a window, when you burn your toast.

Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Thanks for the link

However until idiot journalists actually bother to do their homework they would realise that the heading of the story should be something more along the lines of:

'Luton Fire was Caused by Idiot Who Abused Li-Ion Battery.'

I'd doubt adding a rear hub (albeit illegal as looks 1000 or 1500W)/controller/display/wiring was the issue ?

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Perhaps heat activated conveyor belts could propel flaming batteries out of automatically opening windows? The Guerney FlamingBatteryBegonerator™ is invented. :D Heat, not smoke sensing... because you don't want your ekike battery ejected at speed through a window, when you burn your toast.
I might buy one, if the price is right....!

It's been law in Scotland for a few years now that all kitchens must have heat and smoke detectors fitted and all communal rooms/spaces need smoke detectors fitted.

How long will it be before battery manufacturers just tag on a tiny heat detector to the actual battery build with a bl00dy loud siren, at scale it would only be adding pennies on the overall cost?

If someone wants to implement this then they can have the idea, I only want the first £50k ;-)

Reactions: guerney

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Swindon Police recently seized this death trap.

No front brake: Check
Ancient cantilever rear brake: Check
Controller in plastic bag lashed to frame with tape: Check
Drivetrain totally rusted out: Check
Massive 1500w motor: Check

Story here:
Does that belong to a member here ? ;) :p

• :D
Reactions: chris667

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Feck, that's a little too close to home, at least I wash mine, have F/B brakes, no rust and got rid of the bin bag hiding the wiring to controller...

Why did he leave his Unit Pack Power battery on the bike....what a trusting soul (unless it was dead...even then...).

"It also involved a short bike chase which ended with an illegally modified electric bike being seized."

He must've been consuming way too much of the MaryJane (his own product), even then how he did he not leave the cop standing on a bike like that?

Where I live, given my ebike build, I am always aware (when I'm not stoned out of my mind...), that there are cops on bikes patrolling locally that I don't particularly want to get in to a conversation with.

I first saw a cop on a bike early on last summer, met wife for a drink outside a pub close to where I live, had just locked up the ebike at table and sat down when he passed right next to me. Instinctively I got up to take a pic of the bike, a normal bike but POLICE branded luminous yellow in places but decided not to in case he got ratty and spotted my ebike.

Second cop I came across on bike was in Kelvingrove Park few weeks later when I was out with my 12yr old lateish evening, I saw him coming and immediately got off bike, told my son to as well as we were approaching a narrow track bridge over the Kelvin river. Cop was two feet from me but didn't bat an eyelid, either he didn't notice my rear hub, didn't care or saw we were respectful to others in the park.

Third time was cpl weeks later, this time TWO of them, total @resholes riding two abreast along Queen Margaret Drive outside Botanics blocking all traffic from overtaking and these are very wide old Victorian style roads. I followed them for cpl miles at safe distance wishing I had my GO Pro with me....a lesson on how to ride like arrogant dicks I wish I'd captured.

Fourth time I bolted, enough said....

Still not seen a cop on a ebike though...

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
'Luton Fire was Caused by Idiot Who Abused Li-Ion Battery.'
I'd doubt adding a rear hub (albeit illegal as looks 1000 or 1500W)/controller/display/wiring was the issue ?
I basically agree, but it could well be a contributing factor. If you put a huge load on an inadequate battery, as these motors do, if will stress the battery and quite likely cause issues that increase the risk of fire.

Reactions: portals and Woosh

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
To me, it seems inevitable, that if there continues to be incidents with eBike fires, then the 'something must' be done approach, of a Government seeking to attract votes, will act and introduce legislation.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
what I would like to see is a Public Information campaign from the government around the safety of Li-Ion similar to the smoking/couch fire one we have had in UK for years. - - - - - - I'm sure some here will remember the 'the water was only 2 feet deep' Public Information adverts on the telly from the 70s, there were other ones too like 'Charlie Says' and the frisbee electrocution one.
Their official name was Public Information Films, and they were cut as part of one of the government economies at the end of 2011 when the Central Office of Information (COI) shut up shop.

Another of George Osborne's austerity measures during the Cameron government.

All such films are produced by other non-governmental organisations now, like ROSPA for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: portals

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
To me, it seems inevitable, that if there continues to be incidents with eBike fires, then the 'something must' be done approach, of a Government seeking to attract votes, will act and introduce legislation.
Yeh and knee jerk legislation like that is always bad legislation and, because of the inability of the campaigning politician to admit they might have been wrong or too narrow viewed, the hardest to repeal.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
A big part of the problem is that people can't leave their bikes outside due to a lack of secure space. Bikes are often expensive and if left in a shed, they will disappear. Hence they get taken inside.

I think there is a lot of fuss out of all proportion to the risk, just to get clicks or sell papers. I don't think it's fair to tar all home builders with the same brush. The percentage of people who build their own batteries out of all e-bike users must be incredibly small and those that do generally give up, or learn a lot in the process and end up with something equal to or better than commercial battery packs. A very very tiny number end up bodging something together and use it recklessly.

On this site, when discussing battery builds/repair I have always seen people with suitable knowledge stepping in to point out the dangers associated with what someone might be planning to do. It is better to have people coming to these sites and be advised not to do stupid things, or things they do not have the competence to achieve than have them mess about on their own.

Let's not forget that our homes are full of Li-ion powered devices, from laptops, to shavers to disposable vapes. The standard of construction varies from one manufacturer to another and any one of them could cause a fire. Just because a system is commercially made is no guarantee it is safe. I'm not just talking about Li-ion based systems...Grenfell was started by a faulty fridge. Other domestic fires have been caused by washing machines, dishwashers etc etc.

For Li ion batteries, chargers are a big issue, too many of them output a voltage that is too high, causing stress on batteries and BMS devices.

Then there is the stupidity factor. I could easily plug a 48V charger into my 36V battery, the connector is the same. I know not to do it, but others don't. What if your fuse goes on your commercial battery pack and you stick in a replacement that is a higher rating?

I have bought several Yose power packs. A reasonably big brand who try and do things right, but when I have taken them apart, there are a lot of things I don't like from a safety point of view. Yose power are not alone in this. This has led me to dismantling most of my commercial packs, replacing the BMS and wiring, connectors, switches, fuses and then re-packaging.

Extra regulation and being forced to buy only from commercial suppliers will not stop battery fires.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think there is a lot of fuss out of all proportion to the risk, just to get clicks or sell papers.
A similar situation to that reported with lithium battery fires in e-cars, almost entirely confined to just Tesla models and small in number.

Yet every year thousands of IC engined cars, vans, buses, and trucks go up in flames and are totally destroyed, yet often not reported at all.

Just click on this link to see all our London buses that have been destroyed by fire.

Reactions: portals

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
If you want to avoid Daily Fail Click Bait here is a BBC link (trigger warning, contains usual sloppy BBC inaccuracies):

There is also this:

Can't see how this can be workable.

• Informative
Reactions: georgehenry

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"An inquest into Sofia's death is ongoing and LFB said it had been granted special permission so it could raise awareness of the fire risks and to prevent future deaths.
It has launched Charge Safe, which is calling for people to follow safety advice."

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
“Never leave your battery to charge unattended or whilst you sleep”.

That’s easier said than done.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I might buy one, if the price is right....!
Because it's been so successful, I'm sticking with my pricing policy: £Million each.

Get one of these or similar and place it on top of the battery when charging, be sensible where you actually charge it...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fireangel-fa6720-r-battery-standalone-kitchen-heat-alarm-10-year-battery-powered/403pt
I like it! Trouble is, those fires develop so quickly. Cat flaps can be installed into window double glazing units (not included), and once the heat sensor triggered, your flaming ebike battery could be shoved through at high speed by the extremely powerful motor of the Guerney FlamingBatteryBegonerator™ , which would power it's conveniently windowsill-sized 10 inch heat resistant conveyor belt, rapidly accelerating the flaming battery and flinging it to a safe 1000ft away from your house. There are of course additional chargeable options and addons (including crosshair sights, so you can target windows of neighbours you don't like in advance), plus a version for phones.

Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Charge the battery on a window ledge with the heat alarm pointed at it and open the window far enough that you can simply push the battery out with a broom if it ever catches fire...?

Sorted.

No motor, no conveyor belts and no million squid price tag .

Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Charge the battery on a window ledge with the heat alarm pointed at it and open the window far enough that you can simply push the battery out with a broom if it ever catches fire...?

Sorted.

No motor, no conveyor belts and no million squid price tag .
push it out side and it will still firs back at you :p