Anyone else ordered Trek nano (Cytronex)?

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
At the pub!

Got to the first pub (decided to extend trip to 2 local hosteleries) and the bikes are fantastic so far. More later. Chris

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
all the doubts seem to come from a single source
That's not entirely true. There are other sources and my issues were from personal experience which I don't need to repost. Anyone can look back at my previous posts.

Like Frank and Jeremy, I think that when the TongXin system is working it is in a class of it's own and a pleasure to use. It is good that a new supplier has taken on the system an I hope that the newer components prove reliable.

With a good warranty and knowledge of others experiences it is well worth looking at.

Last edited:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
hi chris im from birmingham too, there are not many country pubs in birmingham are you anywhere near kings norton.

felix

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2008
Hi All,
I've been addicted to this forum for a couple of months and am now an ex lurker! :D

(Unfortunately I did not realise that there was a felix2 already here before I registered, sorry felix2.)

I'm posting in this thread 'cos I've just e-mailed Mark to order a treck nano.

Chris, met you at Prestigne and had a chat about the treck nano. We were both well impressed and my heart was urging me to order one then. They are beauties.

Reading the comprehensive posts from you, Mark and the others has helped to make up my mind.

Thank you all very much!

Mike

C

Cyclezee

I ordered a Cytronex on 26/05/08 and Mark let me know yesterday that it should be ready for collection next weekend. My decision to buy is based mainly on what I have read as I have not seen one in the flesh or ridden one.
I did have a very good look at Trek 7.3FX in my local bike shop and particularly like the look and style of it. The fact that the Cytronex conversion is subtle and almost unnoticable helped me make my decision.

J:) hn

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
Hi John,

I'm sure you will be pleased with your decision. It's a lovely day here in the Midlands and I can't wait to get out on mine but my wife insists that I fit her panniers first!

Chris

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
John,
Another bike - I thought you said you were trying to cut down!
I'm sure you'll like it; I'll be interested to hear how you find riding with a Tongxin compares to the Panasonic system.
Frank

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
I hope she looks ok with one on each hip. :)
Actually, the grief I've been getting for my failure to fit them, I could cheerfully have nailed one to each hip. But I did fit them in the traditional fashion. I faced the usual problem with fitting the rack to a very small frame (15 ins) in that the supplied stays were far to short (but SJS do long ones _ at a price!) Now 7 miles into my ride and stopped for lunch. I'm going off to do some more experiments on hills in a bit. Chris

C

Cyclezee

Chris,

I was thinking exactly the same as Flecc (how scary is that) regarding fitting your wife's panniers, but dismissed my childish thoughts.
Did lunch happen to be in a pub by any chance Chris?

Frank,

I call it rationalisation, I have cut down by selling the Wisper and Dahon, and soon it will be just 3 bikes.
I am looking forward to riding it, in fact riding any bike would be nice right now, but I will have to wait 2 or 3 weeks before I can get this splint off my hand and back in the saddle again.

Last edited by a moderator:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
You've certainly managed to rationalise buying another bike, John - well done! I've done a bit of cutting down myself recently as the garage was resembling a bike workshop, so I've got rid of a couple of bikes that weren't being used any more - my wife's old non-electric and her Powacycle, which my dad has taken on holiday to try out.

I bet, splint or no splint, you take that Trek Tongxin for a short spin when it arrives!

Matt

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2008
Wow. I haven't been on here for a while, so it was a very nice surprise to see a new entry on the ebike market which looks and sounds almost perfect for me.

Mainly because it doesn't look at all like an electric bike because you can't see the battery and the range for me isn't any issue because my total commute is only around 5-6 miles. Plus it isn't using an expensive lithium battery which could have problems.

I have been thinking long and hard about ordering the nano kit from the states, but have been putting it off because of the reliability issues posted and the fact that I so didn't want to order a kit which wouldn't fit or work properly with my bike. I can repair bikes, but I wouldn't know where to start if I had to modify it a bit to get the kit to fit.

Also, this is probably the first decent ebike I've seen which doesn't seem a bit of a rip-off price wise.

If no one experiences any problems in the up and coming months I'm going to order one without a doubt.

Great job guys!

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
Chris,

I was thinking exactly the same as Flecc (how scary is that) regarding fitting your wife's panniers, but dismissed my childish thoughts.
Did lunch happen to be in a pub by any chance Chris?

Nothing wrong with childish thoughts - especially at Flecc's (and my) age. Re the pub....... Is the Pope a Catholic?

Chris

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hmmm... I can't see 156WH realistically going 20 miles, most of the energy would have to come from the rider.
Yes, good point, John - 4.3 Ah...! That is smaller than any battery fitted to a mainstream electric bike, but it still might be ok.
I've not seen the voltage given anywhere and maybe I missed it, but this would mean the battery is 36V? Is that right?

I was rather inclined to think, because of the low weight, that it might be a 24V system but it could equally be 36V using a smaller cell size - can anyone confirm which it is please? Thanks.

Stuart.

Last edited:

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
It's 36 volts and I have just completed a 20 mile ride including and bit of 1 in 4........ See my other thread.

Chris

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
Oh, and I've just re-charged it in 90 mins too.

Chris

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thanks for the voltage information Chris, and a shortish recharge time too!

My NiMH usually takes longer - about 150 mins full charge with the standard charger (2.6A?), but at 9Ah it does have over twice the capacity :) and weight too... but thats okay!

Stuart.

niralp19

Just Joined
Aug 27, 2008
exelent design and technology

Hello Mark,
I am new to this forum.
I also in the business of electronic bicycle and i must say that i love your product . 17kg is amazing , best concept.
I explored many solutions but yours is a sample for all the big names . the battery solution is great . i wish you a best success .

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I like the cytronex as it is on a good quality trek bike. But the size of the bottle battery puts me of.... I am sure if they developed a larger more powerful pannier based battery system, and offered both systems they would be surprised by its success and this would widen interest in their product. IMO a lot of us don't want a generic Chinese bike....but we do want a powerful battery.