Are ebikes worth the price tag?

Do you think that ebikes and pedelecs are particularly overpriced?

• Yes. Most of them are.

• No. They're all well priced.

• Some are reasonably priced. (Please state which ones you feel are good value for the price tag).

• Some are grossly overpriced. (Please state which ones you feel are overpriced and why).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Still relevant to the op. My working life has been in a factory environment where the norm seemed to be 8 pints, 3 nights a week and hair of the dog on Sunday lunch. Whereas I spent my spare cash on motorcycles then cameras and now ebikes.. I was often told to get a life as my existence must be so boring...
They were so wrong then and impressively so now....
If it were possible to quantify the enjoyment I get from these bikes the cost would become irrelevant.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Reliability, longevity, entry level parts, performance, resale values and no pedals. Are they really worth spending as much on, as you might do, when buying a decent used car? What really makes these bikes worth £1k, £2k, £3k or even £5k plus?
Yes, it's usually money that's mentioned first if anyone asks me about my bike. I try to tell anyone who is really interested, that they don't need to spend a fortune to get on the road. For people who come on this forum asking for advice, they seem to be put off and disappear, merely because they are told 'You need to spend at least £1000 -1500'. The £5000 mountain bikes are, I suppose, the equivalent of a Ferrari, while the Tesco Hopper, which I've seen on EBay for £360, will get you around and give you an idea of how good ebikes are. My bike cost about £700 a year ago, so it's cost me about £14 a week for transport every day. If it lasts another year, I will be happy! I am just about to fit suspension forks, as either the roads have got worse, or my body is not as resilient as it was! This will cost me about £40 in total, but I have seen forks costing thousands, which would be wasted on me. Where else can you get transport that costs so little, whisks you where you want to go with hardly any effort, and costs so little to run? I've noticed a lot more around here where I live, mainly Freego, as the dealers are local. I know this site is American, but it seems more positive in encouraging people to have an EBike:
http://electricbikereport.com/

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I paid about £500 for my oxydrive kit that was on my old bike and it was great fun, never had one problem with it, but I got the e-bike bug so gave my old bike to the other half and went out and spent 3k on a new bike.

I think they can be expensive. But spend what you can afford on a bike and get out and enjoy yourself, you never know what is around the corner.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Lets say that if my professional life hadn't gone off the rails and I could have afforded to buy a ready made I think many in the 2000-3000€ range are overpriced. Because I would have wanted to improve the things that are not quite right and probably added over 500€ at least and they should really have those components as standard. Stromer and Grace and a few others make bikes I wouldn't need to upgrade at around 5000€

For now I have a comfortable bike that cost under 600€ and a kit just waiting to go on another bike (another 600€). Two bikes so that I can lend one to SWMBO because I haven't given up the red wine and it is the safest and cheapest way to get home from a pub crawl in S. Sebastian...

The dream bike in my spreadsheet built from the ground up on a bare frame is 2000€ and the trike 5000€.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
The majority of quality ready made eBikes and Pedelecs do appear to be very expensive, and the four figure price tags must exclude a very large proportion of their potential market.That limited market must make dealer costs and margins higher proportionally.

For the DIY'er it is quite practical to build a high spec bike from a much more competitively priced high quality conventional bike and selective high spec electric components, mostly from China.

My own converted ebikes include a lightweight step through full suspension German Alubike, a secondhand German Hase recumbent trike, a £600 Giant trek full suspension bike, and a Dahon folder which each cost well under a thousand all-in, and have high spec original components, such as hydraulic brakes, sealed bearings and good quality frames and wheels.

They all have sine-wave controllers and sophisticated LCD head units plus watt meters as accurate "fuel gauges".

As the majority of cyclists these days seem to have less DIY cycle building and maintenance skills, many kits get thrown together with ugly tangles of cabling and poorly wired connections, so they often give kits a bad name and poor reliability.

One only has to look through this forum to see a great many superbly finished DIY ebike projects which are at least as good as the highest priced ready-made "Ferraris" of our ebbike world, and cost a fraction of them.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My Rose was £2.5K.

The unpowered version is about £1,000, so £1,500 is a lot for a motor and battery even if both components are Bosch.

On t'other hand, it's done thousands of reliable miles over four years.

In one respect, the Rose is overpriced but it represents fair value to me, particularly if it remains reliable for a few more years.

I seriously doubt if I would get as much reliable use from a £1,000 Chinese ebike.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Paid 3 grand for my lap...plus £150..for dongle...worth every penny to me...when i look at these carbon framed 10-12 grand thingies..oh please...i do
think the price of batts are outrageous an all...

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I (much like Steve) converted my first ebike, a £2k Grant Trance which was already an impressive and accomplished off road bike given a new lease of life with the addition of an Oxydrive kit. The Oxydrive kit is that good even Mrs Lox has one on her (£1.5k) Cube, a really nicely balanced conversion.
I had test ridden a range of ebikes from the budget woosh scirocco to the top of the range (and the dare I suggest rather overpriced) haibikes and they are what they are... I guess you get what you pay for as with much in life.
From my experience, I will probably go for a more focused purpose built off road ebike for my next ride such as one of the crank driven lapierre or KTM models.
For me, money is not really a constraint but value and reliability are hence my utter satisfaction with my current ride, do I need anything more?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Most people looking for a 'toy', will come to the conclusion that electric bikes are often overpriced. For those who require a degree of utility from their bike and are able to do some basic math, can quickly see that electric bikes represent value when comparing to other alternatives.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Most people looking for a 'toy', will come to the conclusion that electric bikes are often overpriced. For those who require a degree of utility from their bike and are able to do some basic math, can quickly see that electric bikes represent value when comparing to other alternatives.
Sorry but I dont agree with your Toy reference.. When I am looking for a new "Big Boys Toy" The only pricing issue I have is Can I afford it? I always strive to buy the best that I can afford, and certainly dont want any less than my peers already have! This soon becomes apparent to the sales people who will "Try" to help in the only way they can. I would never go buy a new toy and get something cheap..
I cant be unique in this.. can I?
I think I can use SW as an example as he seems to buy the best/most expensive that he can even though it isnt always the best option... (no offence meant here SW)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Since my BH was written off, my lawyers have estimated £20 a week in travel expenses for commuting. So over two years that's about £2k Not to mention I wouldn't have to spend on gym membership.
So over two years any bike for less than £1500 would have to be a considerable saving.
A woosh would be in profit after a year.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We must not forget that all this is easy to say when one has the availabal cash on hand to endulge in these toys.. and let's be clear, in most cases toys are what they are!
But for a lot of people the prices are just too high.
When it isn't a toy but a full on car replacement and only means of transport one can easily justify the cost. A 5000€ pedelec which lasts 5 years will always end up cheaper per kilometer than a small car which will cost the same second hand (unless you buy a clunker which will cost more in repairs). I live in a place where a 25 km/h pedelec is actually faster than a car from point A to point B for most of the year round.

There was an article on a French web I read about the Zero S which is 16,000€. The battery is guaranteed 5 years or 160,000 km so your amortization cost is 10 € cents a kilometer.

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
A quality ebike is a lot of money, the cheaper bikes are not particularly well spec,d.

My passion is for mountain bikes that are durable enough to be ridden aggressively at trail centres.
If you compare a conventional trail bikes with good suspension, then you are looking for a minimum of £1500 for a entry level hardtail.
The equipment is comes with as stock is more functional than really good.
An equivalent hardtail e mountain bike is probably £1000 more.

The one thing with ebikes ( for off road use , aggressive), is that the weight reduction is not so prevalent , so a £4000 ebike is reasonably well spec,d .

A conventional mountain bike will have the emphasis on weight reduction at this point, or more exotic suspension.

Ebikes are present are for early adopters, and will continue to be expensive until they are more mass produced by the large bicycle manufacturers.

Two years time the same standard bikes will be cheaper and better value.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
For gentle trail riding it's ok.

But the forks are nothing special, the brakes are pretty low rent also.

Basic Deore gear works well enough.
Wheels and tyres would be suspect to take any aggressive use though.

Take your point about the motor and battery, but you are stuck with a bike that would need upgrading for any serious mountain bike trail centre use though.

• Informative
Reactions: cyberdyne_systems