Are electric bikes legal in Spain?

rrrbikel2

Just Joined
Feb 4, 2021
Just like the headline, are electric bikes legal in Spain?
I was a little worried about it, has any guy living in Spain can tell me about that?
Thanks a lot!!!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes if they comply with EU regs for pedelecs and that probably means no throttle at all.
Throttles are a concession in the UK

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Throttles are allowed in all Eu countries under EN 15194. They can work independently up to 6km/h. Even Bosch bikes have one. They're allowed to work beyond that up to 25km/h as long as power stops when you stop pedalling, though they don't specify how soon it must cut the power after the pedalling stops and no bike cuts power instantaneously with or without a throttle.

D

Deleted member 33385

Police forces in Spain stopping ebikes (2014), demanding to see certificates of conformity? Hope this never happens here in the UK:

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Throttles are allowed in all Eu countries under EN 15194. They can work independently up to 6km/h. Even Bosch bikes have one. They're allowed to work beyond that up to 25km/h as long as power stops when you stop pedalling, though they don't specify how soon it must cut the power after the pedalling stops and no bike cuts power instantaneously with or without a throttle.
Our 2016 Kalkhoff Agattu has what is effectively a throttle but defined as a walk aid.
The handbook, multi languages, describes this only as that, with a warning it must not be used when ridden.
Is this in the forum's opinion a warning for EU legal or simply technical reasons, as I struggle to see the technical issue it might have? It does work when ridden!

D

Deleted member 33385

As far as I'm aware, the throttle is UK legal if:

1. It's limited to 6km/h

2. It stops providing assistance at 25km/h

I keep taking my throttle off for the odd speed test on dirt tracks, then putting it on again, then taking it off - it's currently on but disconnected (set at 99mph, but it's disconnected, so that doesn't matter [?]), so it's technically off, but is it legally off? I'm hoping that distinction will prevent my being clapped in irons by the Plod... the only reason I keep it on the bike, is in case I have another accident like I had the other week with the tree root sticking out from the tarmac impact, after which the pedal fell off lol. In a similar situation, I could connect the throttle and get home, without resorting to the use of Covid filled metal boxes on wheels. But my kit is illegal anyway, because I can change the max speed - if they look closely.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Police forces in Spain stopping ebikes (2014), demanding to see certificates of conformity? Hope this never happens here in the UK:

That's our Eddieo, who got banned from the forum along with his alta ego Indalo. We heard that he died a few years ago.

That post is 7 years old, and I can't find any references to anything like that actually happening. I don't like to talk ill of the dead, but I'd say that the fact checkers would probably have a field day with that post, and Eddio was not noted as having the most balanced views on the world.

Over the 10 years I've been on this forum, we've had many similar scare stories about the police checking on ebikes in the UK, but until now, nobody has been able to produce any hard evidence and I challenge anyone to find a record of somebody getting prosecuted. I suspect, like in the UK, some maladjusted person just spread the rumour to scare a few people because that gives them some sort of satisfaction or feeling of superiority. We've even had at least one forum member writing to magazines and the press in an attempt to stir up interest by the police, but it had no effect.

I have heard plausible but unverified stories about police giving small fines to riders of bikes operating under throttle only, so probably best not to ride around without pedalling in places where you're likely to encounter police. And if it worries you, you can always disconnect your throttle from the controller.

Having said that, I think I heard that they're changing the law in Spain to allow electric scooters or that they're already allowed. How are they going to work without a throttle or pedals? Don't forget that Segways are allowed in some EU countries too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

And if it worries you, you can always disconnect your throttle from the controller.
That's what I've done, but the throttle is still on the bike - to be reconnected in emergencies. I might even add a case around the disconnected connectors with a glass front to break, in case of. I would carry the throttle in my bike toolkit instead, bu the prospect of pulling everything off the handlebars with all the fiddly screws in the dark, after an accident (if the bike is still rollable), is too much.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Visited Spain 3 or 4 times a year pre covid-19. Last time being February 2020. A large proportion of residents on the caravan sites ride electric bikes with no issues. Several City/Town councils have banned Mobility Scooter's for the under 55's unless they could produce medical evidence the use was justified. This ban was introduce to stop the unnecessary/abuse (read riding to the pub) by able bodied person. Also the police were very strict regarding electric scooter use.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Visited Spain 3 or 4 times a year pre covid-19. Last time being February 2020. A large proportion of residents on the caravan sites ride electric bikes with no issues. Several City/Town councils have banned Mobility Scooter's for the under 55's unless they could produce medical evidence the use was justified. This ban was introduce to stop the unnecessary/abuse (read riding to the pub) by able bodied person. Also the police were very strict regarding electric scooter use.
Sounds like a good approach. I hadn't thought of a possible issues from too many people driving mobility scooters to (or worse, from) the pub.

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
If I kill or injure someone, all of the above, I expect...
Sorry, that's not what I meant.
The DfT have said 'The use of an "Off Road Button" however is strictly forbidden'.
Where has anyone said a bike that's speed-limited in the controller's firmware is illegal?
That would seem to be very odd position that would probably catch out every major manufacturer.
So I'm asking how hard they'd have to look at your bike. If the only way they can make it go over 15.5mph (with assistance) is by connecting a laptop to it then that doesn't sound like a legal problem. Or like something that would ever happen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Our 2016 Kalkhoff Agattu has what is effectively a throttle but defined as a walk aid.
The handbook, multi languages, describes this only as that, with a warning it must not be used when ridden.
Is this in the forum's opinion a warning for EU legal or simply technical reasons, as I struggle to see the technical issue it might have? It does work when ridden!
It's for legal reasons. Nothing in the pedelec usage regulations permits any throttle. However the pedestrian controlled vehicle regulations permits someone walking to control a powered vehicle at up to 4 mph (6kph in the EU), subject to the power cutting out if they let go. Hence the thumb throttle.

This walking law was originally for such as postal barrows or the load carrying powered barrows in use at some railway stations.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
My brother lives in Salobrena, Andalucia, he has a Hiabike with bosch motor, with an lbs in Almunecar the next town. He's not had any issues. (other than having to take the bike back to the shop to get the motor fixed, as I gloat, having a bbso1 I can fettle myself).

Last edited:
Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

If the only way they can make it go over 15.5mph (with assistance) is by connecting a laptop to it then that doesn't sound like a legal problem. Or like something that would ever happen.
If by "They" you mean the cops - who knows? If by "They", you mean we/me - if I've increased top speed beyond 15.5mph in firmware, through a firmware overwrite, then yes it's illegal. The BBS01b firmware top speed, can be set up in firmware to be limited in firmware, despite the display setting, or it can be set in firmware to be controlled by the display. The whole range of options, both legal and not, are pretty comprehensive - here's my setup - I didn't change anything at the throttle, because I initially didn't install it on the bike.

I've gone crazy since then, and set throttle speed to a ludicrously optimistic 99mph - but the throttle remains disconnected, even though I have it on the bike handlebar, just in case I need 99mph (lol), or hobble home after an accident - but only if I am unable to pedal because of injury or bike damage, and if the alternative is risk of death or disablement by Covid, caught by sharing the inside of a metal box on wheels with Covid Zombies. At that point, the existence of a throttle set beyond 6km/h is illegal anyway, hence 99mph. Maybe I should set it to 88.8mph and go back in time, to before I had the accident etc.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A change of speed or use of a change of speed via a switch likely refers to an instant control to do so, a display take several seconds of fiddling and as such not a switch to really play about with whilst riding along.
So the use of the term of a switch is push or rocker button that requires no parameter changes and can be done in an instant.

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
if I've increased top speed beyond 15.5mph in firmware, through a firmware overwrite, then yes it's illegal.
Sure. But that's not what you said.
"But my kit is illegal anyway, because I can change the max speed - if they look closely. "
Being able to change the max speed is surely not illegal per se. Being able to change it by pressing a button is, at least in the opinion of the DFT.
So if your firmware (and / or display) is set to a legal speed, your motor is marked as required (250W etc) and your throttle is disconnected then you're surely as legal as anyone out there... no?