Are They really exempt up to 40mph ?

silversurfer

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2007
No, the thing behind the seat is the fuel tank, not the boiler! Oh if you want a steam powered motorcycle they have one in the science museum storage at Wroughton, near Swindon, silversurfer.

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
No, the thing behind the seat is the fuel tank, not the boiler! Oh if you want a steam powered motorcycle they have one in the science museum storage at Wroughton, near Swindon, silversurfer.
I would love a steam powered bike just for the "choo choo" sound. That would help with the awkward moments when chugging past the pedalers.

silversurfer

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2007
Try riding a Torq, The howl, like a stuka dive bomber gives them fair warning and the kids going to school always turn around as I pass, when going for the morning paper....must confess, in this instance, I do tweak the throttle a bit for effect ! silversurfer.:D :D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Try riding a Torq, The howl, like a stuka dive bomber gives them fair warning and the kids going to school always turn around as I pass, when going for the morning paper....must confess, in this instance, I do tweak the throttle a bit for effect ! silversurfer.:D :D
If I was ever thinking thinking of buying a Torq........ The Stuka Dive bomber with it's wailing high pitched siren striking fear throughout Europe :eek:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
A sound likened to a formula F1 racing car :eek:

Hang on sounds interesting..

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
My Mother had a Cyclemaster which looked a bit like this.
As far as I know she used it a fair bit and managed to run someone over who was crossing Kingston bridge!

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Morning, throttle jockeys! Love reading your posts about little two-stroke bikelets! I'm a real sucker for them, and still keep a 1950s NSU Quickly moped on the road.

There's a society you may like to look at, who members do an annual coast-to-coast run on ancient jiggers, including Cyclemasters, PowerPak, etc. It really is massive fun, doing a long journey at earth-tottering speeds! And this year they did Land's End to John o' Groats! I kid you not, though it took eleven days!

Have a butcher's here... BUZZING

Best wishes from Broadbeans

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Broadbeans

Thanks for the link, I'm supposed to be decorating, that's going to have to wait, so many photos to look at.

The first machine I owned was the 98 cc Coventry Eagle. I bought it when I was 13 years old for thirty bob, and did I have some fun with it. It would out run my cousins 32cc Cyclemaster any day.

All the best

Bob

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
What a great link - and educational too :)

"St. Berini, Patron Saint of underpowered motorised transport" - lol

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Glad you like the links, Blew It (the original throttle-jockey!) and Red Sky Walker! These old bikes are terrific fun, aren't they? I've got a dusty Cyclemaster and an old post office bike still waiting to be united.

But remember, one day in the distant future this forum's electric bikes will be period pieces, too! People will say, "We believe this to be an early twenty-first century model, from the days before anti-matter motors...when you actually had to plug your bike into the mains after a trip to the shops!" LOL Johnny

An

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Great picture, BlewIt! Good to hear you had an autocycle! They're brill, aren't they? My pal's got an old New Hudson with a Villiers 98cc engine. It just has a clutch and just a single gear, yet it goes like billio. Yes, on those coast-to-coast runs, the autocycles streak away and leave the Cyclemasters, etc, far behind! In the seventies I had a Puch Maxi moped. Don't know if you remember them, but it was a great little machine - and more fun than wallpapering on a Sunday afternoon! :) Johnny

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi, the German lady was probably riding a Rex. A front wheel drive cyclemotor. The engine sat in front of the handlebars and drove the wheel via a belt around a large, slim pulley fixed to the wheel/spokes (just like a washing machine drum drive).
Of course Silversurfer. It was the reference to a "flexy pipe" drive that threw me, as I was imagining a flexible drive like drill extension drives and couldn't think of any like that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Great picture, BlewIt! Good to hear you had an autocycle! They're brill, aren't they? My pal's got an old New Hudson with a Villiers 98cc engine. It just has a clutch and just a single gear, yet it goes like billio. Yes, on those coast-to-coast runs, the autocycles streak away and leave the Cyclemasters, etc, far behind! In the seventies I had a Puch Maxi moped. Don't know if you remember them, but it was a great little machine - and more fun than wallpapering on a Sunday afternoon! :) Johnny
We mainly handled the Excelsior autocycles and my first motorbike owned at 16 years old in 1952 was an Excelsior Talisman Twin 250cc (reg: KEL 444), the Excelsior brand disappearing by the 1960s.

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
I've always liked Excelsior bikes, Flecc. Lovely styling, just like a lightweight motorsickle should look! And it's good to see you remember your first number-plate! KEL 444 is a smart number and probably worth a few bob now! Mine was PBA 738, then it was 5976 KW. Strange, isn't it, how things stick in your mind so well! I'll bet everyone else remembers their first, too!

:) Johnny

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Number plates??

Well now, it was like this. I wasn't old enough to ride my Coventry Eagle, so it wasn't taxed, or insured. Using the logic unique to 13 year olds, I removed the number plates!!