Are They really exempt up to 40mph ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'll bet everyone else remembers their first, too!

:) Johnny
I'm sure that's true too Johnny. I can clearly remember every vehicle I've ever owned in finest detail, and there have been 7 motorbikes and 25 cars (!), except for the number plates where it's only the first motorbike. Only two years later I owned my first car, a 1936 Vauxhall DX 6 cylinder, but can't remember anything of it's registration number.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well now, it was like this. I wasn't old enough to ride my Coventry Eagle, so it wasn't taxed, or insured. Using the logic unique to 13 year olds, I removed the number plates!!
I love that, the innocence of youth. :D

On the other hand, kids of all ages have always known beyond any reasonable doubt that all adults are completely mad.

Last edited:

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Are there any running 'original' steam engines bicycle still running. I always liked the caption on the one in the science museum which said it was found in a hedge ~ I believe t was recorded as starting a London to Brighton but not as finishing !!

silversurfer

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2007
Buzzing

Hi folks, amazing what is coming out from behind the wallpaper! Buzzing no less, my VeloSolex led me to joining the club and they are a very enthusiastic bunch. I occasionally ride my friends Yamaha FS1 ( I have no Solex on road). My first motorbike, SKF 114, a James 98cc comet, but nothing 'comet' like about it's speed !
I learnt how to fall off on that bike, my mother was not impressed by the 'see through' elbows on my sports coat, :eek: (no special dayglow jackets in 1965!
But the Torq is more stable, front and rear wheel drive is great for swift getaways from the lights! silversurfer.:) :)

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Don't the memories keep coming back, my first bike was a james cadet as well.

My first car, after a deadly three wheeler whch would do 60 on a dual carriageway (it had limited directional stability), was a standard 8 which blew up on a holiday and was fixed by a local garage by grafting on the head of a standard 10 ~those were the days.

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
My first machine was a Francis Barnett [the old FannyB] with a villier's 250cc 2 stroke. Ist stage tuning was to remove the front mudguard - that was good for another 10mph :)

Had a mate who longed for a mb but couldn't raise the cash so he used to ride his pedal bike wearing a lovely leather jacket with the following proudly spelled out in brass paper fastners accross its back:

Hell's Angles [push bike division]

Happy, innocent days!