Axle on BPM front too thick for dropouts

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They work on stainless? I looked at the ones in my cheap Dremel clone kit and thought they might be OK for aluminum but didn't dare try on stainless.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
The ones d8veh recommends will come on a slow boat from China. If you are in a hurry, Screwfix have Dremel chainsaw sharpening bits. They only cost £2 odd for 3.

Steve

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Is this for the Ti Charger then? Don't go knackering those Maguras!
If you'd like to go 02B now, I might be able to do you one on tick until the greetings cards stuffed full of birthday cash arrive in November... give me a bell :)
Just to say we have conversed as I should hate the forum to belive I ignored you

Although I have not taken up your kind offer as it is against my principles - basically I don't buy stuff I can't afford right now( mortgage excepted)

i don't even own a credit card!. However I did appreciate the offer rather a lot :) cheers fella

Just to say we have conversed as I should hate the forum to belive I ignored you

Although I have not taken up your kind offer as it is against my principles - basically I don't buy stuff I can't afford right now( mortgage excepted)

i don't even own a credit card!. However I did appreciate the offer rather a lot :) cheers fella
Indeed.
Good policy.
You're welcome dude :)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
The ones d8veh recommends will come on a slow boat from China. If you are in a hurry, Screwfix have Dremel chainsaw sharpening bits. They only cost £2 odd for 3.

Steve
Steve, most grateful for a link . I can't seem to find anything and I have a screw fix just round corner

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I've filed out slightly less meaty ones than those. Go carefully and only take out the half millimetre each side. plus a tiny bit from the top to maintain the curve there.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Don't file the axle. You must file the forks. The reason is that the BPM and your old forks are 10mm. Your new bike has a 9mm axle (normal for QR wheels).

Ideally, you should change your forks to steel ones because there's a fair chance of breaking your drop-outs if you don't fix the motor correctly in aluminium or magnesium ones. Certainly, fit at least one properly anchored torque arm. By properly anchored, I mean to a rigid fixing position, not a jubilee clip.
Ok so I filed the drops , slowly and by hand to be sure not to over do it. Axle is perfectly fitted. Even had to file some washers for perfection

And extended the caliper/rotor to 203 to prevent motor fouling

And finally found the bloody torque arms which I initially put in a safe place

No where to anchor so I have had to risk the jubilee clip method.

Bike now runs beautifully from an electrical pov....... But handling and feel is terrible !

Old bike was steel, hybrid 700c and new is 26 titanium. Both alfine hub (same one) both front motor (same one relaced)

Other difference is old had a steel 29er mtb fork added. New has light, nice magura 120mm air suss forks

So, why does she feel so wrong on turns. The old bike never felt this way..... Is it the light suss forks ? The new light frame? The comparative wide tyres? Or just a combo of all the above

To define the feel better - turns feel nice for gentle sweep... But past a certain point Suddenly feel unbalanced and hard. Almost like a specific point in turn angle that changes from each state.

Headset is only a few months old and done very few miles. It's a decent fsa one. Not mega pricey but not cheapo either. Plus it was sweet pre conversion

I get that conversion changes feel as I've done a fair few bikes now. And ridden even more. This is weird !

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
D

Deleted member 4366

You have a 4 1/2 kg motor in your front wheel now. Of course it'll affect your handling. If you want neutral handling, you need a rear motor instead.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
You have a 4 1/2 kg motor in your front wheel now. Of course it'll affect your handling. If you want neutral handling, you need a rear motor instead.
True but they wasn't quite the point I was trying to make; that's why I compared old bike with new bike. Both front hub etc. old bike fine, new one not

Doesn't your comment rather compare the same bike pre and post conversion ?