Best seller for the Bafang BBS01B?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the pitch is about right but the motor noise level of the TSDZ2 got mixed up with the chain noise, possibly due to gear indexing.

Reactions: sparkysx

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
I like the way it has an extra anchor point, which is the best? have you had issues with them at all?

tyvm

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BBS most likely will need a programming cable to get the best out if it so another 20 -25 quid on top, My BBS01 came via Woosh in 2013/14 and KC was 30%, probably why I managed to get 52 miles from the 29E's.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I like the way it has an extra anchor point, which is the best? have you had issues with them at all?

tyvm
You mean failures of kits over time, not installation niggles?
I have very few problems with the Bafang BBS01B and none with the TSDZ2.
Almost all the problems are with the 25A BBS02B internal controllers.
The only niggle I have had on the TSDZ2T is a customer plugging the throttle in the wrong way round and got an error 02E.
I could not work out what it was until I accidentally plugged the lead in the wrong way round myself.
Yes, it's possible to force the plug in the wrong way round although the socket has polarisation slots.
Fortunately, I only have to unplug and plug back in the right way round. No harm done.

Last edited:
Reactions: lyme and sparkysx

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
to be honest I'm still leaning towards the Bafang BBS01B, I was speaking with Andy on the phone earlier about it, does it only come with the c961 display or can you get the c965 in?

how do they feel compared to each other to ride?

thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
PAS/cadence drives like BBS or hubs don't give much more even if you give it full beans, Torque drive like TSDZ multiplies your effort so range should be an improvement. The 12a battery is 576wh so should return about 30 miles @20wh/m if you aren't an average peddler.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
how do they feel compared to each other to ride?
I like simple wiring, less exposed to water damage, so I veer toward TSDZ2.
Other than that, the TSDZ2 has better torque than BBS01B.
I also like the torque sensor better.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Are you still using the same motor now Neal?
I still have it on an mtb with Alfine 8, I don't use it that much as I prefer my hubs.
I use it mainly for muddy rides locally or to the N or S/Downs, controller isn't original as that one blew even without any programming. The only issues I have had otherwise is a snapped speed sensor attachment without this working properly the BBS doesn't work, and a niggly brake cut out which again can cause no power if the lever doesn't reseat properly.

If recommending a mid drive kit I would now say go with Torque sensor drive for a much better ride and where your efforts are multiplied.
I road my brothers Bosch Kalkhoff once and the power was quite something, even with my asthma I plonked along at 33mph giving it the beans.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I was basing it off this:-

i can only say from owning a bbs01b 350w thats its quiet like the video.with programming to 100% keep current & ridden on max assist (18amp to 250s 15amp) i get 20 miles out of a 17.4ah battery. im 14 stone,the speed restrictions off,so 20-22 mph ON FLAT TERRAIN. Also hilly here in west cornwall...always seems like going up something lol. If the TD is that noisy it would drive me nuts ,but ive never tried one.

Battery is an important decision, you can never have enough. I fitted a second batt on my bbs giving me around 35+ miles of high power. My bbshd has a 15ah 52v 20 miles high power and speed. Obviously u get more miles on lower amps.You need to divide the max amps by number of parallels in the batt to get amp drain per parallel. Then buy a batt with cells that can deliver that CONSTANTLY as a MINIMUM. You can look brands of cells up on technical sites for their performance.Stated maximum is for bursts.halve that for constant drain. Many e bike batteries unfortunately state the max as a constant to look good. So be careful and look the cells up. Avoid chinese generic un named cells.Buy a battery with samsung, panasonic/sanyo LG for instance.

As an example panasonic GA cells are rated at 10amps max, thats 5amps const per parallel.If the battery is 5p. then it can deliver 25amps all day. You will have an excellent battery for a bbs01 on full PAS 15 or 18 amps depending on 250w or 350w version. Say you buy cheaper cells 5amp max,so 2.5amp const then your 5p batt can only deliver 12.5amps const.fine if you use full power for short duration ,but not for most of your ride.It will heat up and stress the cells and reduce their life. Getting a 6p 0r 7p battery would enable the cheaper cells to divide the load more,giving 15amps or 17.5 amps all day.

My 52v battery has samsung 30Q cells in a 5p.they are rated 15amp max ,so 7.5 x 5 is 37.5amps const.i sometimes use the bbshd on full 30amp for miles.it barely gets a tiny bit warm even after a 2 mile hill climb.
my 36v batts samsung 29E cells (5amp max,2.5 const) on the bbs01 have a combined 11p so thats 27amps const for an 18amp bike.but when it had the one 6p it was pushing the batt on full power ,which could only deliver 15amps const.

Phew if u managed to stay awake i hope it gives some insight.

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
so have you got the bbs01 250w and the bbshd?
ive got the 350w bbs01b same motor in its natural state.the 250w is the toned down version for compliance with the law. the 250w controller cant have its Amp rating programmed to the full 18amp as its hard coded. the unrestricted one can be changed to its stated 20amps max,tho ive left it at 18. ive also got a bbshd yes. to be honest if i knew what i know now id hav just got a bbshd,its incomparably superior. i cld have spent £700 on a triangle 52v 24ah batt. You can have power and when you want range tone it down.not vice versa for lower power bikes.ive had 26-27miles from 15ah , on lower power ,but still lots more power/speed than the bbs01 on max.its not just speed its the torque of the thing thats so impressive.even on 13amps at 52volts it leaves the bbs01 standing,even though the bbs should be about the same at 18amps an 36v. The old bill havent a clue or interest.

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
not worried about getting pulled by the old bill, just worried if I hit a ped or a car hits me. I thought the 250w could be increased to 18amps? Not sure if I'm bothered about doing that anyway though.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
not worried about getting pulled by the old bill, just worried if I hit a ped or a car hits me. I thought the 250w could be increased to 18amps? Not sure if I'm bothered about doing that anyway though.
no it cant they hard code it. i go through phases ,im riding the bbs01 alot at the mo.its a great kit.You feel more like ur riding a pushbike with benefits.with the bbshd u cant resist turning the power up. Once you have an electric bike u soon find u want to have more power. So im just saying choose wisely.

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
ive got the 350w bbs01b same motor in its natural state.the 250w is the toned down version for compliance with the law. the 250w controller cant have its Amp rating programmed to the full 18amp as its hard coded. the unrestricted one can be changed to its stated 20amps max,tho ive left it at 18. ive also got a bbshd yes. to be honest if i knew what i know now id hav just got a bbshd,its incomparably superior. i cld have spent £700 on a triangle 52v 24ah batt. You can have power and when you want range tone it down.not vice versa for lower power bikes.ive had 26-27miles from 15ah , on lower power ,but still lots more power/speed than the bbs01 on max.its not just speed its the torque of the thing thats so impressive.even on 13amps at 52volts it leaves the bbs01 standing,even though the bbs should be about the same at 18amps an 36v. The old bill havent a clue or interest.

Does the BBSHD have the voltage and wattage etched onto the motor?