bike mirrors

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've got both: Zefal Dooback 2 on the left, Cyclop on the right. The only reason I bought a Cyclop is because the Dooback broke (with much force) because of how my bike folds, also because I'd epoxyed a big thick reflector onto the front... I'd have preferred to use another Dooback, and might still. What I don't like about the Cyclop is:

1. Once unfolded, I have to guess the correct angle. I nearly always get it wrong and have to stop, make adjustments a short distance after setting off. The Dooback 2 simply clicks into place, at the right angle for my bike - if your handlebar is too swept back or something, that pre-defined angle might not work for you, in which case you should've bought a Cyclop.

2. The Cyclops mirror is too small, compared to the Dooback.

3. The bolt supplied with the Cyclop was too short, I had to use the one from the broken Dooback. If you have the same issue, you should have bought both a Dooback and a Cyclop, just in case. Or simply buy a longer bolt separately, cheaper.

is this ok above and how do those end mirrors tighten inside handlebar should i have to measure inside 1st
"Handlebar dia: 16mm - 22mm"

Here's a pic of the innards. Bolt 2 goes through plastic ring 3, into the rear side of the holed part of 4, then through 5, and into the hidden nut in 1. Then put either or both thickening collars 6 on around the flared end of 5, cover with a bit of diluted washing up liquid for lubrication, then shove into the handlebar end, tighten the bolt and it works a bit like a rawlplug: the flared end expands as part 1 is drawn towards the end of the handlebar.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I've got both: Zefal Dooback 2 on the left, Cyclop on the right. The only reason I bought a Cyclop is because the Dooback broke (with much force) because of how my bike folds, also because I'd epoxyed a big thick reflector onto the front... I'd have preferred to use another Dooback, and might still. What I don't like about the Cyclop is:

1. Once unfolded, I have to guess the correct angle. I nearly always get it wrong and have to stop, make adjustments a short distance after setting off. The Dooback 2 simply clicks into place, at the right angle for my bike - if your handlebar is too swept back or something, that pre-defined angle might not work for you, in which case you should've bought a Cyclop.

2. The Cyclops mirror is too small, compared to the Dooback.

3. The bolt supplied with the Cyclop was too short, I had to use the one from the broken Dooback. If you have the same issue, you should have bought both a Dooback and a Cyclop, just in case. Or simply buy a longer bolt separately, cheaper.

"Handlebar dia: 16mm - 22mm"

Here's a pic of the innards. Bolt 2 goes through plastic ring 3, into the rear side of the holed part of 4, then through 5, and into the hidden nut in 1. Then put either or both thickening collars 6 on around the flared end of 5, cover with a bit of diluted washing up liquid for lubrication, then shove into the handlebar end, tighten the bolt and it works a bit like a rawlplug: the flared end expands as part 1 is drawn towards the end of the handlebar.

View attachment 56523

Thanks good info

Just like to say many thanks to all here as right from day one I prefered a end mirror. as what I had was useless, still is. I have also now removed left mirror as never used it anyway, so great now I can get one with the great help here from you guys. its made my day

;)

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
With the Zefal Dooback 2 you can fold it in 90degrees for when you have to navigate a narrow path for example.

It's last part of my routine when I get on bike (mount battery, turn on battery, turn on controller, check PAS is 1, check ebrake LED comes on, reset odometer the finally adjust Dooback 2 mirror and off!

It is worth these extra 5secs to optomise the rear view, when it gets bashed just stop and re-align (mine has been bashed and folded in on it'self many times now however it still works great).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
With the Zefal Dooback 2 you can fold it in 90degrees for when you have to navigate a narrow path for example.

It's last part of my routine when I get on bike (mount battery, turn on battery, turn on controller, check PAS is 1, check ebrake LED comes on, reset odometer the finally adjust Dooback 2 mirror and off!

It is worth these extra 5secs to optomise the rear view, when it gets bashed just stop and re-align (mine has been bashed and folded in on it'self many times now however it still works great).

Yes thats what I always do before riding the bike. dont take long to be safe on the road

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
View attachment 56526

:p

That bike mirror can be fixed with paper clips and a soldering iron to melt plastic over clips to make it stronger

whats the link about the rover defender about as we are on about bikes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i smashed a wing mirror off with it did its job :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

I've learned not to change the Dooback's vertical angle when snapping it inwards to reduce bike width, so it's a quick snap out to the side to the preset correct horizontal angle and away I ride, like the wind.

The Zefal Dooback on the left hand side of my handlebar has survived many a bike's falling over, as the kickstand sunk into soft soil. The mirror part detached once, when both me and my bike fell over while I was pushing the bike through dense woodland - I simply popped it back on and it still works great.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I've learned not to change the Dooback's vertical angle when snapping it inwards to reduce bike width, so it's a quick snap out to the side to the horizontal correct angle and away I ride, like the wind.

The Zefal Dooback on the left hand side of my handlebar has survived many a bike's falling over, as the kickstand sunk into soft soil. The mirror part detached once, when both me and my bike fell over while I was pushing the bike through dense woodland - I simply popped it back on and it still works great.

I havnt ordered a left mirror as never seem to use what I have now, so removed it. and awaiting for the right zefal one. I am glad of the help from all here I have now sorted my throttle to now have a zefal one

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I havnt ordered a left mirror as never seem to use what I have now, so removed it. and awaiting for the right zefal one. I glad with help from all here I have now sorted my throttle to now have a zefal one
I find the left hand side Zefal very useful on scary and fast multi-laned roundabouts, also busy multi-laned roads when I have to move into the right lane to turn.

To increase my bike's perceived width to drivers approaching from the front, I've stuck wide refective tape on the backs of both Zefals - useful for when I stop and give way for vehicles on narrow roads. Stops them driving over my foot.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I know i am asking a different question now, But Just curious, is it possible to get a thumb throttle for my bike, Im no hurry at present, But just curious, as it has to have same connection plug as the grip throttle has now its 3 pins, these are not very clear pics

IMG_7788.jpgIMG_7789.jpg

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes, you can get thumb throttles with that connector. Even if the connector doesn't match, all throttles work with the same three wires, so you can cut the connectors off, twist the wires together (or solder them) and insulate the joins with tape or heartstrings tube.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Yes, you can get thumb throttles with that connector. Even if the connector doesn't match, all throttles work with the same three wires, so you can cut the connectors off, twist the wires together (or solder them) and insulate the joins with tape or heartstrings tube.

But how can I be sure if the thumb throttle connection is going to work right, I know it looks same yellow 3 pin plug. But I didnt really want to cut off the connectors. if its same plug male to female wont the pins be same then. also when you say heartstrings tube dont you mean heat shrink tube

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
But how can I be sure if the thumb throttle connection is going to work right, I know it looks same yellow 3 pin plug. But I didnt really want to cut off the connectors. if its same plug male to female wont the pins be same then. also when you say heartstrings tube dont you mean heat shrink tube
Heartshrink got changed to heartstrings by the spelling checker. It just did it again, but I caught it this time.

The throttle will work when you connect the three wires from it to the right three wires from the controller. Connectors are meant to make that easier, but often they don't. As I said, you don't need connectors. If they work, good luck, and if they don't, cut them off. It's that simple

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Heartshrink got changed to heartstrings by the spelling checker. It just did it again, but I caught it this time.

The throttle will work when you connect the three wires from it to the right three wires from the controller. Connectors are meant to make that easier, but often they don't. As I said, you don't need connectors. If they work, good luck, and if they don't, cut them off. It's that simple
so just say it won’t work are the wires colour coded then at female end plus at male end from throttle

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
so just say it won’t work are the wires colour coded then at female end plus at male end from throttle
Throttles and the corresponding controller cable nearly always have black for ground and red for 5v on both sides, so you can't get that wrong, then theres only one wire left, so you can't get that wrong either even if they're rainbow colours.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Throttles and the corresponding controller cable nearly always have black for ground and red for 5v on both sides, so you can't get that wrong, then theres only one wire left, so you can't get that wrong either even if they're rainbow colours.

ok many thanks for that most appreciated