Bosch Motor shutdown, Error 503, get you home only.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Genuine unrelated question: can you repair hub motors at component level with assessable parts or are they swapped out?
I routinely fix broken cable, replace Hall sensors and ballbearings.
On crank drive motors, sometimes it's cheaper to swap out sub-assemblies like the main gear or the bottom bracket assembly.

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Pedelecs. I said I would tell all when things sort out.

I purchased two Raleigh Modus GT bikes, one for me one for the beloved.
I moved the speed sensor to pick up a magnet on the pedal on both bikes so we could cruise as 18 / 20 mph as we used to when younger. Worked a treat, did many happy trips together, so quite happy. My bike started making odd creaking noises, so I returned it to the shop, apparantley the motor had not been torqued down by the factory correctly to the frame. On getting the bike back the next day, I re-aplied the pedal magnet trick but, gosh, what jolly bad luck, unknown to me the shop had updated the software. The new 2020 Bosche softwate detect fiddles like mine and shut the motor down, error code 503 get you home home mode. I was told only the "factory" could reset it. So the bike was sent back to Nottingham for some one to plug in a laptop (?) and reset the motor to factory spec. It was away 7 weeks, right throughthe lockdown.
Now we have two bikes, the wife's which goes along happy at 18 / 20 mph and mine which dies at 15mph and I have to "over pedal" the motor not as easy as Bosche would have you think, to keep up. On the hills we are the same, downhill I am a maniac.
We live and learn.
If Raleigh had built the bike correctly I would not be writting this, but hey-ho **** happens.
The cadence issue which I gripped about elswhere, is separate.
I solved it on the Raleigh by replacing the 38t chainwheel with a 44t which makes a more sensible cruising cadence. I bought a Kalkhoff Impulse Agattu from a neighbour and changed changed the rear sprocket, that works a treat. Unfortunateley the Kalkhoff only has 40nm Torque the Ralieigh 50nm Torque so the Kalkhoff will have to go, shame they are very well built.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
Sorry to hear about your experience. I knew the 2020 models had the trap, but hadn't heard of it being retrospectively applied to an older bike. Just out of interest, what year is your bike? Any chance of a shop rolling the firmware back? Does the display show which version of firmware it's running? (Would be interested to check my own bikes!)

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry to hear about your experience. I knew the 2020 models had the trap, but hadn't heard of it being retrospectively applied to an older bike. Just out of interest, what year is your bike? Any chance of a shop rolling the firmware back? Does the display show which version of firmware it's running? (Would be interested to check my own bikes!)
I was unaware of the trap. I did not ask for the software update. The bikes were purchased in May 2019.
I dont think the shop will roll back the software now he knows I meddle a bit :(
As you say it would be good if I could match mine to hers!!!

I'll check on the software version but I think you get three:
One for the controller
One for thew battery
One for the Motor

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
I was unaware of the trap. I did not ask for the software update. The bikes were purchased in May 2019.
I dont think the shop will roll back the software now he knows I meddle a bit :(
As you say it would be good if I could match mine to hers!!!

I'll check on the software version but I think you get three:
One for the controller
One for thew battery
One for the Motor
FYI
Bike with pedal mod working:
Disp v.5810 (display) DU v 1100 (Drive Unit) Aug 2019
Bike that detects pedal mod:
Disp v 5920 DU. v 1330 Mar 2020

• Informative
Reactions: wheeliepete

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Interesting, how do you get it to tell you? I'm on purion...

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
If you want to trick the speed sensor use an 74H73 IC to build a divide by 2 or 4 circuit for less than £2. Only a couple of jumpers needed and it runs off a 5v supply. You'd need to check the output waveform voltage from the hall device to make sure its within the operating range (about 0 to 3.5v for 5v supply). Plenty of circuits on the WWW, but divide by 2 is, +5v to pin 4, 0v pin 11. I/P pin 1, O/P pin 12, Jumper pin 3 to 12 & pin 13 to 14. If my memory serves me right. I'll knock one up later to check. :p

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Pedelecs. I said I would tell all when things sort out.

I purchased two Raleigh Modus GT bikes, one for me one for the beloved.
I moved the speed sensor to pick up a magnet on the pedal on both bikes so we could cruise as 18 / 20 mph as we used to when younger. Worked a treat, did many happy trips together, so quite happy. My bike started making odd creaking noises, so I returned it to the shop, apparantley the motor had not been torqued down by the factory correctly to the frame. On getting the bike back the next day, I re-aplied the pedal magnet trick but, gosh, what jolly bad luck, unknown to me the shop had updated the software. The new 2020 Bosche softwate detect fiddles like mine and shut the motor down, error code 503 get you home home mode. I was told only the "factory" could reset it. So the bike was sent back to Nottingham for some one to plug in a laptop (?) and reset the motor to factory spec. It was away 7 weeks, right throughthe lockdown.
Now we have two bikes, the wife's which goes along happy at 18 / 20 mph and mine which dies at 15mph and I have to "over pedal" the motor not as easy as Bosche would have you think, to keep up. On the hills we are the same, downhill I am a maniac.
We live and learn.
If Raleigh had built the bike correctly I would not be writting this, but hey-ho **** happens.
The cadence issue which I gripped about elswhere, is separate.
I solved it on the Raleigh by replacing the 38t chainwheel with a 44t which makes a more sensible cruising cadence. I bought a Kalkhoff Impulse Agattu from a neighbour and changed changed the rear sprocket, that works a treat. Unfortunateley the Kalkhoff only has 40nm Torque the Ralieigh 50nm Torque so the Kalkhoff will have to go, shame they are very well built.
Bad luck.
Andy

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
Original report from shop. "eBike diagnostic report". Then me looking at the configuration mode in the Intuvia headset. Dont know if you get it with Purion.
Someone may know.....

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
If you want to trick the speed sensor use an 74H73 IC to build a divide by 2 or 4 circuit for less than £2. Only a couple of jumpers needed and it runs off a 5v supply. You'd need to check the output waveform voltage from the hall device to make sure its within the operating range (about 0 to 3.5v for 5v supply). Plenty of circuits on the WWW, but divide by 2 is, +5v to pin 4, 0v pin 11. I/P pin 1, O/P pin 12, Jumper pin 3 to 12 & pin 13 to 14. If my memory serves me right. I'll knock one up later to check. :p
I am worried the latest software would generate a 503 error if this was done??

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Original report from shop. "eBike diagnostic report". Then me looking at the configuration mode in the Intuvia headset. Dont know if you get it with Purion.
Someone may know.....
Found all the info here:
Will have a look later what mine are on.

zakventis

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
UK - Wales - Monmouth
From the Bosch website...

Purion
1. With the system switched off, simultaneously press the "-" and "+" buttons and hold them briefly.
2. In addition, briefly press the "On/Off" button.
3. The current software versions are displayed as running text.
Displ.: software version of the display
DU: software version of the drive unit
Bat.: software version of the rechargeable battery
1.Bat. /2.Bat.: software versions if two rechargeable batteries are used

can be found at:

Reactions: Energizer Bunny

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
I am worried the latest software would generate a 503 error if this was done??
It should just fool the motor into thinking you're going at half speed in a lower gear. I.E. pedals and motor going twice as fast, just like they would be when climbing a hill.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Yet again, as the trouble free user of 2 Chinese simple electric bikes for 9 years now, I ask myself
"Just why do people buy unnecessarily over complicated, hugely over priced, Bosch fitted ebikes?"

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
There seem to be plenty of people having problems with Chinese manufactured products on the forum as well. At the end of the day each to their own.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Yet again, as the trouble free user of 2 Chinese simple electric bikes for 9 years now, I ask myself
"Just why do people buy unnecessarily over complicated, hugely over priced, Bosch fitted ebikes?"
Probably because they in their choice of bike want a cycling experience with the level of sophistication, that can't be achieved without a degree of complication?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
You can get the 503 error with a faulty speed sensor, it is ridiculous that Bosch can brick the motor in this instance. They are making unreasonable profit from their own quality issues.
Very well put. I agree totally!
As quite a few fans of Bosch know and get upset about, when a person who was not "caught out by Bosch", says anything negative and 100% true about Bosch RUBBISH!!
Thanks for your excellent comment!
Andy
PS. I will be copying and posting this comment for someone else here again!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Very well put. I agree totally! I have had two Chinese bikes, with no problems, and at a tiny cost compared to Bosch!
As quite a few fans of Bosch know and get upset about, when a person who was not "caught out by Bosch", says anything negative and 100% true about Bosch RUBBISH!!
Thanks for your excellent comment!
Andy