Bosch Nyon Performance System / Sat Nav for 2015

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
It has been very useful to see the limitations of the Nyon spelled out at last, answering questions that dealers have been unable or unwilling to clarify. I certainly will not be buying a bike with this with these limitations. I would rather pay £400 for a Garmin Edge 1000 and another £100 for fully usable/routable offline OS maps. (I realise there are other cheaper options).

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It has been very useful to see the limitations of the Nyon spelled out at last, answering questions that dealers have been unable or unwilling to clarify. I certainly will not be buying a bike with this with these limitations. I would rather pay £400 for a Garmin Edge 1000 and another £100 for fully usable/routable offline OS maps. (I realise there are other cheaper options).
And it moves from bike to bike.. I
recently came across an "electric bike"app that has a bit of hardware to fit inside the motor, and then gave all sorts of running detail .. Watts, Amps, battery drain and so forth with a phone based sat nav sort of thing. I cant remember the exact details and cant find it again... I,m not too good with google searching!!

this would be a fair criticism, if the numbers were correct ;)

Its not a £400 upgrade or anything close. At least not with our brand.

For example.

Macina Sport 10 Plus £2099.99 - Bosch Performance drive with Intuvia Display

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/bikes/e-bike.html?action=bike_details&bike_id=33280&cHash=fec7ff24544b1d6347654eb762f1b099

Macina Sport 10 GPS+ £2399.99 - Bosch Performance drive with Nyon Display.

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/bikes/e-bike.html?action=bike_details&bike_id=31744&cHash=e3387d4cfa73dfd0d1818ef906d13157

Both bikes come in both style frames, and the difference is £300.00 but the GPS+ also has better brakes, better hubs, a rear rack, a better cassette and a few other differences.

So I'm afraid in no way can Bosch display on its own be considered to be a £400 upgrade.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
this would be a fair criticism, if the numbers were correct ;)

Its not a £400 upgrade or anything close. At least not with our brand.

For example.

Macina Sport 10 Plus £2099.99 - Bosch Performance drive with Intuvia Display

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/bikes/e-bike.html?action=bike_details&bike_id=33280&cHash=fec7ff24544b1d6347654eb762f1b099

Macina Sport 10 GPS+ £2399.99 - Bosch Performance drive with Nyon Display.

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/bikes/e-bike.html?action=bike_details&bike_id=31744&cHash=e3387d4cfa73dfd0d1818ef906d13157

Both bikes come in both style frames, and the difference is £300.00 but the GPS+ also has better brakes, better hubs, a rear rack, a better cassette and a few other differences.

So I'm afraid in no way can Bosch display on its own be considered to be a £400 upgrade.
Ah yes but it is a well known fact that the sum of the parts is often much more that the parts bought together.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
yes, was just intrigued as to where the £400.00 figure came from? Seems like it was just made up??
Relax, not every post on here is having a dig at KTM.

The poster was merely saying an alternative to a Nyon would be a Garmin/OS maps combination which could cost up to £500.

Perfectly fair point, if you want a bike with satnav you either buy one with it bolted on already, or you buy one without and buy the gadgets separately.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Oh heck.i wasn't having a dig at anyone either .. my point is about aftermarket costs... sat navigation retrofitted to a car will cost much more that the "extras " cost when new.
Agreed, if - big if - the Nyon will do what the user wants it will be a cheaper solution than buying the stuff separately.

Relax, not every post on here is having a dig at KTM.

The poster was merely saying an alternative to a Nyon would be a Garmin/OS maps combination which could cost up to £500.

Perfectly fair point, if you want a bike with satnav you either buy one with it bolted on already, or you buy one without and buy the gadgets separately.
haha, come on... I'm hardly being overly defensive :) and its not even related to KTM... I'm just trying to help with some information every now and then rather then a debate go on and you all think Nyon is "insert opinion here" .... "cos its £400" when its not. Thats all I was saying.

Reactions: Vennwood

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
I picked up my KTM with the Nyon yesterday. I find the device interface clunky and at times unresponsive, when setting the unit up. Are there any plans for an app that can configure the unit using a PC or Mac, similar to Tom Tom?

I also worry about the integrity of the little rubber flap covering the USB physical interface.

Also not sure how to increase the map radius. Once you set an area its restricted to a 25 mile radius. Surely you don't know where you might need Sat Nav. Thinking of weekends away etc.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
I managed to download a complete map of England and although I have not tried the radius limitations I am fairly certain that the limitations are on navigation only and not the ability-to see the map outside of the radius

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Also, if you have an Android based smartphone and have downloaded the app, you may want to be the first to try and see what you get if you pay for the premium features!!! If you have an iPhone, then wait in the queue with everybody else!!!

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Also, if you have an Android based smartphone and have downloaded the app, you may want to be the first to try and see what you get if you pay for the premium features!!! If you have an iPhone, then wait in the queue with everybody else!!!
I'm an apple geek too

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A compass would be a good addition to the Nyon features
I carry a small compass on longer rides in unfamiliar territory.

My sense of direction is sufficient to tell me which direction I want to go, even if I may be confused in other respects.

The compass helped me a couple of times at junctions in the Lake District.

Not foolproof without a map, but good enough.

After all, it's only a bike ride, not a targeted nuclear strike.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Having ridden a number of miles with mine, it is good. The most annoying thing that I cannot find is the ability to always have the map facing up in the direction of my travel. Anybody found it?