Bosch Tuning dongles arrived today - 50kph cut off..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you read all of Hech's posts, you'll see that he has an edgy sense of humour. He doesn't mean to be taken too seriously. He makes me chuckle more than anybody else on the forum. maybe it's my warped sense of humour too.
I've noticed exactly the same and derive similar amusement from Hech's contributions. Some of his posts very late in the evening can be the most "edgy", causing me to wonder if a wee dram or two have played a part! ;)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Yes, nothing wrong with an edgy warped sense of humour.....I call mine quirky.....with or without a 'wee dram or two ' :D

Lynda :)

Reactions: neptune

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
There's some thin-skinned bods on 'ere....

Considering what some of 'em have posted on occasion.

:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 4366

Some of his posts very late in the evening can be the most "edgy", causing me to wonder if a wee dram or two have played a part! ;)
I must admit, I was wondering too. Not that it matters.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Aha ! I had hoped to dodge all this personal criticism and rancour about my extremely moderate and refined boozing habits by apologising beforehand, but clearly you have seen that one before! Perhaps if you knew the whole story you'd be less quick to judge. If you knew for example that my first wife and only true love ran off with an ebike salesman, that soon after my pet dog was run over by an out of control Haibike operator and that that operator was called Alex, you might all be less quick to stomp on innocent, well meaning contributors like myself!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Aha ! I had hoped to dodge all this personal criticism and rancour about my extremely moderate and refined boozing habits by apologising beforehand, but clearly you have seen that one before! Perhaps if you knew the whole story you'd be less quick to judge. If you knew for example that my first wife and only true love ran off with an ebike salesman, that soon after my pet dog was run over by an out of control Haibike operator and that that operator was called Alex, you might all be less quick to stomp on innocent, well meaning contributors like myself!
Cheers, hic!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the dongle is piggybacked on the two wire magnetic sensor suggesting te use of an inverting charge pump .
The circuit would use every other pulse to reverse charge a small capacitor. On the next pulse, the capacitor is then discharged back into the sensor, making the pulse disappear.

Martin1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 29, 2012
TW13
So, has anyone tried this with a S-Class bike?

quilly21

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2010
Panasonic dongle sounds interesting, what exactly will it do? will it change phasedown/cut off?
I would be interested.
What system does the Bosch use for magnetic sensor? Hall effect or reed switch?
Do you know if the Kalkhoff impulse will be dongleable?
does this use a hall effect sensor or reed switch? Anyone know?
Presumably the controllers must be programmable for the different wheel sizes/speed.
All very interesting I will keep an eye on this.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Panasonic dongle sounds interesting, what exactly will it do? will it change phasedown/cut off?
I would be interested.
What system does the Bosch use for magnetic sensor? Hall effect or reed switch?
Do you know if the Kalkhoff impulse will be dongleable?
does this use a hall effect sensor or reed switch? Anyone know?
Presumably the controllers must be programmable for the different wheel sizes/speed.
All very interesting I will keep an eye on this.
The Bosch works on the speed sensor as opposed the say the Panasonic which uses the hall sensor.
See previous posts where its function is explained.

As for the Impulse drive there is not one currently on the market but we are in testing with the company to make one both for the impulse and another for the Panasonic drive. We should expect to see these in the coming months.

Regards
Martin

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
It works in the same way with the S class, except the S class will probably double to 90kph.
I believe I read somewhere about the German guys using it on the S class over on the German pedelec forum, may be worth checking it out.

Regards
Martin
56mph!? Do you think you should show some responsibility and *not* sell these or advertise them on the forum?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
50kph/90kph is the cutoff speed, does not mean that a bike with Bosch DU25 motor can reach 50kph.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Guys,

I have been out testing the dongle today. What a fun day! First proper ride on the Haibike FS AM too!
As for the dongle...
I done 2 x 8 mile laps through the woods. Over exactly the same terrain/ route.
All be it I may have been a little more worn out on the second lap!
Over the first 8 miles I logged the Haibike as standard (no dongle plugged in)
The second 8 mile lap I rode with the dongle.
OK so it was all off road, so my average speed was a lot slower then it would have been on the road.
But here are my findings..

Without Dongle -
Without Dongle.jpg

With Dongle -
With Dongle.jpg

So as you can see I shaved 4 minutes off my lap time. I also boosted my average speed from 12.5mph to 13.8mph.

Annoyingly I was that much quicker on the second run that the graph scale has changed. Notice on the right on the first run my speed / elevation was on 1500ft @ 20mph and on the second run it has moved to 1500ft @ 30mph. This is annoying as it makes the graphs visually a little harder to compare.

Like I say though, you could 'tank' it along if it was on a flat tarmac surface making a huge difference to the results. The terrain I was on today was pretty hilly and very muddy! I was actually surprised how well the Haibike gripped, not spinning up at all and I tackled a hill I have never done before on my normal pedal cycle, chuffed! :)

Overall I was very impressed with fitting the dongle it made a huge difference on the flat where I could exceed 20 mph! With the dongle fitted I could easily pedal up to 25mph without it cutting out, unfortunately this is where I ran out of gears. So particularly on the Haibike it would benefit with a 42t on the front as opposed to a 38t to gear it up a bit, I should think I would be able to exceed 30mph with this set up!

Pretty tough out there today if I'm honest. But the Haibike made it a breeze!

I shall be updating the website to feature downloadable instructions as well as buy it now buttons to make purchasing the dongles easier over the next week or so..

I will also upload a teaser of today's ride as soon as the video has been edited together :)
Also may have some better graphs when I pull the GPS data off one of my cameras. So will post this too.

Regards
Martin

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Hi Guys,

View attachment 5285

So particularly on the Haibike it would benefit with a 42t on the front as opposed to a 38t to gear it up a bit, I should think I would be able to exceed 30mph with this set up!
Spot on Martin. I'm running 42t as you know, and it's not difficult to get it up to around 30 mph with the dongle, on the flat.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
As soon as I get a chance Hugh, a 42t is going on :)
Weirdly enoough I never got the 1:1 gearing error code over my 16 miles of riding.

Strange as I have 38t front and one of the back sprockets is 19t..

Maybe I didnt touch this gear, but it seems un-likely over 16miles.
I will take out on Saturday and give the 19t rear a good thrashing and see if I can get the code.

Thankfully when I fit the 42t front I already know what cassette to get, as I have already spent the time working yours out Hugh! :)

Regards
Martin

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I dont think a 42T is going to do it.

With my super-pedelec I ended up with a 45T chainwheel with the 11T at the rear - otherwise you're just peddling too damm quick. And seeing as the Haibike with the dongle on it has even more power I am not even sure a 45T would be enough.

I guess you will let us know.