Brakes question (Disc compared to V)

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I've seen that some e-bikes use disc brakes and others use v brakes and wondered whether a bike with disc breaks is generally a better option for e-bikes? Sorry if my question is a bit vague..I'm a complete newbie to e-bikes.

Disc brakes do look more complicated and involved from a maintenance prospective. How easy is it to carry out maintenance on them compared to v brakes? And is getting replacements likely to be expensive?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many cable operated disc brakes are not very effective, though there us the odd exception like some models from Avid. Generally it's the more complex and expensive hydraulic ones that are better.

V brakes are cheap and very effective, but they do have the disadvantage of wearing out rims that have to expensively replaced by wheel rebuilding at intervals as they get dangerously thin.

If regular high mileages as in longish commutes are envisaged, discs can be the better option for keeping long term costs down.

These two types are not the only ones, there are also hub roller brakes for wheels without motors which are moderately common, not very powerful but needing almost no maintenance ever.

Another type which has all but disappeared thank goodness is the band brake, basically a steel strap which when pulled binds itself on a steel drum dragging the bike to a usually loud squealing halt.

Two remaining types are the caliper brake that is often seen on drop handlebar and professional sports and race bikes, and the now more rarely seen cantilever brake.

Last edited:

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
Stupid question - why do you have to rebuild the wheel to replace the V pads??

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The rims wear out with V-brakes and at some point the wheel will need rebuilding/replacing.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Over a long time the v pads will wear away the metal rim of the wheel. The only way to fix that is to rebuild the wheel onto a new rim.

We're talking very long term for your average cyclist, though with e-bikes the brakes are used much more often.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Over a long time the v pads will wear away the metal rim of the wheel. The only way to fix that is to rebuild the wheel onto a new rim.

We're talking very long term for your average cyclist, though with e-bikes the brakes are used much more often.
There are a number of dependencies; braking style, rider weight, weather conditions, brake block material and route to name a few.

On my last bike I managed to get through a rim in only 2200 miles! Many of these miles were in winter in muddy conditions though. I learnt how to change the rims myself as I realised this could get expensive.

Since then I've been trying to brake less and place more emphasis on the front brake. I've moved to a bike with smaller wheels which I expect to be worse for wearing out rims...

i agree in all points with flecc and i belief for the most people a v-brake is enough. Cheap and high-effective.

But i ride my bike in mountain area and myself is 115kg, i know i´m to fat:)

so i need diskbrake because in mountain area and my weight the rim-side´s is very fast distroyed because to stop my weigth on down-hill driving, it need a lot of energy to stop the bike:rolleyes:
My experence tell´s me that it is more cheap to change the disk as the rim.

also in rain the disk-brake is better because the slip is lower.

And please no cable-disk brake, except the Avid-bb7
In china i had driven a cable disk-brake (made in China) it was much better as all the rest i ever driven but i think the time for cable disk-brake is over and this brake-calliper had a 8cm lever, not relly beauty

regards
frank

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I much prefer the feel of disk brakes and find cable operated ones better than cable operated V brakes, I'm still not impressed though and will upgrade to hydraulic brakes.
It's worth finding out the differences in brake pad materials and getting the right type for your riding, Mechaniker would probably have a bit of trouble with organic pads but they might be ideal for someone living in a flat area.

I also favour disc brakes and currently run hydraulic 160mm on the front and cable 180mm on the rear. Ideally, I'd have hydraulic on the back too but I wanted to keep the power cutoff facility on at least one lever.

Opinion on brake type will always be divided as, as already mentioned, it's down to personal taste and riding style.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I get a bit obsessed with drag and noise. It's not hard to adjust V-Brakes so they don't drag at all when released. It's not clear to me that it's possible to adjust a disk brake of whatever type so it's totally silent and totally drag free. But then I haven't used hydraulic brakes or the Avid cable brake.

Even adjusting V-Brakes is a bit of an art. Always seems to be annoyingly fiddly to get them just right so they are even, powerful and don't squeal.

Last edited:

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
The price of disc pads alone should put anyone off discs, plus I've seen many rusty standard discs!

V-brakes correctly setup should be every bit as good.

Still running Cantilever brakes myself on a 1994 MTB with original cables and original rims (rear now replaced with ehub rebuild but rear rim is still good)

I did 6-7000 miles in the last 12 months with the ehub in all weather conditions.

Certain high performance pads with eat the rims :(

the cheaper softer compunds are not so bad ;) not so good in the wet either ;)

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
My last set of pads cost £4.50 a pair for Shimano brakes, my last rim replacement cost about £120 plus a weeks worth of train fares. My disks don't get a chance to go rusty. :)
For the high mileage commuter discs are worth every penny. My Trek would get through brake pads every 400-500 miles and rims every 1400 miles (as advised by Mark at Cytronex I don't think I was changing them prematurely). My Emotion has done 1000 miles so far and the only maintenance has been to oil the chain every week or so. Fantastic!

Last edited:

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
My last set of pads cost £4.50 a pair for Shimano brakes, my last rim replacement cost about £120 plus a weeks worth of train fares. My disks don't get a chance to go rusty. :)
They're cheap pads, locally they are around £15-25 for the basic, £120 :eek: extortionate wheel build :)

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
For the high mileage commuter discs are worth every penny. My Trek would get through brake pads every 400-500 miles and rims every 1400 miles (as advised by Mark at Cytronex I don't think I was changing them prematurely). My Emotion has done 1000 miles so far and the only maintenance has been to oil the chain every week or so. Fantastic!
Braking should be a light touch, two fingers on the lever.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Braking should be a light touch, two fingers on the lever.
Don't understand. Obviously if I could use the brakes less, go out in the rain less, wear the brake less etc I would.