Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Would we stop printing their Scottish bank notes? We can't let them print their own pound notes can we? (I think we print them now)Just had a look on wicky, it looks like they print their own, so surely that would not be allowed to continue, Would they have to use English notes (that would go down well)
There is a level of ignorance about the powers a Bank has illustrated in the postings.. No offence intended
A Bank is given a licence to print money. The power of the Central Bank is limited.
Now. BANKS in Northern Ireland print their own, Banks in Scotland print their own, and numbers of major banks in England do the same.
Now Pounds issued by the Bank of England are effectively currency in all parts of the UK..and indeed we will accept them in RoI. However currency issued by NI banks, is looked at suspiciously in Scotland, and rejected in England . Ditto for Scottish banknotes outside Scotland.
In fact Euros will have greater currency in the UK than regional banknotes.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
True, Mozambique could choose to use the £ if they wanted to, but without it having any connection to the English £ or BoE backing, it would have the same value as an independent Scottish £, which is zero.

And there will be no military installations in Scotland at all if it goes independent. There will be no money to fund a military and all the Scottish jobs associated with the current military will disappear when the plug is pulled and things move south.
Do you acually believe that you know what you're talking about?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I don't fully understand the logic of her argument for independence. She wants to break away from the UK where they do most of their trade, but doesn't want the UK to be independent of the EU. They currently have a lot of autonomy from the UK, so why not stay inside the union to reform it. (to quote a phrase)I could understand to some degree the expectations regarding oil and it's income but since the fall in prices that argument does not hold. In fact if they had won the last referendum and left , money may have been tight. Maybe she wants to stay in the EU so Scotland can get free handouts from them instead of the UK. Maybe they are like the rest of the world and just hate the English
Simple really. Her party wants Scotland to be an autonomous province of a greater EU. A situation we in Ireland fully understand. She also wants England to be another ,if 10 times larger province of the same grand entity.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I doubt he, s on about a sten gun... You, d struggle to hit a 5 yard target at 50 yards...(You could if you could throw it) Must be least accurate weapon ever built...For hitting everybody and everything nearby it was brilliant for the £3 it cost to build... Much anything else... Forget it...
Besides being fully auto weapon it would be totally out lawed here.
Sten-gun. I've not heard that since I was a young boy, we used to pretend that sticks were Sten-guns when playing soldiers!

My favourite is the General Purpose Machine Gun :) (GPMG). Such a weapon does exist but the name always makes me crack a smile. It's the General Purpose bit which suggests that it can be used for purposes other than killing people. Maybe it can be used to open beer bottles, change TV channel if you lose the remote, trim your toe nails etc. General Purpose, it's a ridiculous name for a machine gun.

Reactions: Zlatan

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
There is a level of ignorance about the powers a Bank has illustrated in the postings.. No offence intended
A Bank is given a licence to print money. The power of the Central Bank is limited.
Now. BANKS in Northern Ireland print their own, Banks in Scotland print their own, and numbers of major banks in England do the same.
Now Pounds issued by the Bank of England are effectively currency in all parts of the UK..and indeed we will accept them in RoI. However currency issued by NI banks, is looked at suspiciously in Scotland, and rejected in England . Ditto for Scottish banknotes outside Scotland.
In fact Euros will have greater currency in the UK than regional banknotes.
I spent a £10 Scottish note in Lidl last week and the bank where the wife works will change them.my point was would this continue if Scotland was independent? I don't think English banks print their own money, only the bank of England, who use De La rue.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
My favourite is the General Purpose Machine Gun :) (GPMG).
Have you ever fired one? It's a lot more difficult than it looks in the films. The idea is not to just squeeze the trigger and shoot off loads of bullets in one go. When using one, the plan is to fire off about three rounds at a time in short bursts. This maintains accuracy and stops wasting bullets, I don't know if the British Army still use them. The last time I fired one was about 35 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and 50Hertz

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Have you ever fired one? It's a lot more difficult than it looks in the films. The idea is not to just squeeze the trigger and shoot off loads of bullets in one go. When using one, the plan is to fire off about three rounds at a time in short bursts. This maintains accuracy and stops wasting bullets, I don't know if the British Army still use them. The last time I fired one was about 35 years ago.
No, I’ve never fired anything except a shotgun.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I doubt he, s on about a sten gun... You, d struggle to hit a 5 yard target at 50 yards...(You could if you could throw it) Must be least accurate weapon ever built...For hitting everybody and everything nearby it was brilliant for the £3 it cost to build... Much anything else... Forget it...
Besides being fully auto weapon it would be totally out lawed here.

I want Tillson back. Seemed much more considered in that iteration. I thought Tillson had already denounced Leaving??
People changing IDs is fine by me but if VFR is who its been claimed he is I wont be entering any discussion with him.
Does that mean I can go back to being Darth Vader with your blessing?

Reactions: Zlatan

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
JRM's book on the Victorians not doing too well by the looks of things. Funniest bit in the link shown below was this.

And in the same week in 2003 that he was deposed as Tory leader, Iain Duncan Smith’s novel The Devil’s Tune sold 18 whole copies, a figure so dismal, that it is possible even his mum didn’t buy one.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Can't beat a Bren and they don't clog like many others

Reactions: Nev

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
JRM's book on the Victorians not doing too well by the looks of things. Funniest bit in the link shown below was this.

And in the same week in 2003 that he was deposed as Tory leader, Iain Duncan Smith’s novel The Devil’s Tune sold 18 whole copies, a figure so dismal, that it is possible even his mum didn’t buy one.

That many? wow!
Now this is more likely to sell the book, describing the Author

"the fleshy embodiment of Scrooge McDuck. " :cool:

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Would we stop printing their Scottish bank notes? We can't let them print their own pound notes can we? (I think we print them now)Just had a look on wicky, it looks like they print their own, so surely that would not be allowed to continue, Would they have to use English notes (that would go down well)
They could use any paper or coin form they liked internally, the currency a country uses isn't expressed physically, it's just trading numbers. In these days of using various cash cards, physical cash isn't very important.

And they could use the British De La Rue company to print bank notes. They do this on an international basis for many countries.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeler

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
They could use any paper or coin form they liked internally, the currency a country uses isn't expressed physically, it's just trading numbers. In these days of using various cash cards, physical cash isn't very important.

And they could use the British De La Rue company to print bank notes. They do this on an international basis for many countries.
But would I be able to spend it in my Yorkshire Lidl or change it at my local bank or would I have to change it back like Polish Zloty

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't seen 50 mention the French, Tilson absolutely hated the French so I don't think they are the same person.
He has been using a different persona, but that's slipping now. Give it time, the French will soon be on the receiving end.

And as said, he hasn't denied my three posts, just passed over them.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Got to admit it ...The Germans now make the best guns. The Bren gun was used from 1938 till 2006 (Czech)
When I was a teen ager most of us had air rifles, all of them British made except for one lad that had a German one. I think the make was called Original, and it was either a model 35 or 50 not sure which. The workman ship, accuracy and appearance of the rifle was far superior to all the British air rifles the rest of us had.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But would I be able to spend it in my Yorkshire Lidl or change it at my local bank
Their choice, and a bank could accept on a currency value basis, just as they do any currency. Any internationally traded currency is valid everywhere.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I was a teen ager most of us had air rifles, all of them British made except for one lad that had a German one. I think the make was called Original, and it was either a model 35 or 50 not sure which. The workman ship, accuracy and appearance of the rifle was far superior to all the British air rifles the rest of us had.
Mine is Spanish, forgotten the make, but it's despatched 168 grey squirrels to date and plenty accurate enough.

• Informative

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Heckler and Koch are the dogs whatnots .Looking to buy a semi-auto in the next few weeks.

Advertisers